Thinking about trading the tC for the Eclipse 06

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

being a past dsm owner i def could confirm on the many probs with them..i had a 98 gst..typical problems such as valve cover..trans..gaskets..etc
Old 05-26-2005, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the eclipse is crap. i've seen to many of my friends buy them and trying to get rid of them because they cost to much to fix. the only mitsubishi worth getting would be the EVO but then those cars aren't really that great either.

and that's comming from my uncle who use to work on mitsubishi's at dealership.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't worry that some others may dislike the styling of the car, you buy a car for yourself, not them.

I know nothing of Mitsubishi quality, I do know that there are a lot of older Eclipse and Eagle Talons around, and that they are a favorite in the "tuner" crowd.

Are far as fanacial situation goes, I think you are better off waiting 'till next spring/summer, especially if you try to make larger than minimum payments on your Scion between now and then.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Captain tC
Originally Posted by jaydub
I wouldn't take that new Eclipse if they handed me one for free. Horrible looking car.
Youre kidding right? Its soooo hot! But the rear has absolutely no room. Its good as long as you dont have passengers over 3 ft tall. But anyway, its just wishful thinking at the moment. Ive gotta do some number crunching to see if i can afford to switch at the moment since I am buying a house soon. Plus, Ive kinda bonded to my tC. Choices choices *sigh*

have you ever owned a mitsubishi eclipse? or any mits vehicle? big diff between toyota and mitsubishi... not sayin its not sweet looking cuz it is... just that mits isnt the most reliable cars in the world...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The look of the car is purely subjective; you either like/love it, or you don’t. On the other hand, if you focus on the objective criteria (price, dependability, comfort, re-sale value, and etc.) then you find that the choice between Mitsubishi and Toyota is indeed a no brainer – the guy who opts for the Mits has no brain.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
well to update.. the eclipse '06 has been recalled already! faulty brakes.. so there is that legendary mitsu reliability.. I'll stick with toyota..
Do you have any proof that this is true? I checked the NHTSA site and found nothing. I won't be surprised if it is true, I just want to know where you saw it.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Glad I'm not the only one that has seen the crap reliability from Mitsu.... My father runs his own shop, and his mitsubishi customers take a large part of his time. Its not just the Eclipse either. The whole line of cars are pretty unreliable as far as I have seen. He has one customer with a Gallant (she drives it back and forth to work, about 5 miles each way). The dealer had to replace the engine under warranty the first year she had it. Scary.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh god, you can't be serious! putting aside my feelings about the looks (I think its hideous), think about the following:

- its a new model, so you're not going to get your 2-3k off. you'll pay sticker (or over it if its popular)... so it'll be 19 and change, w/o sunroof, etc.
- it has almost identical power as the tC, but weighs 400lbs more (3300lbs for MT)
- not sure of the gearing, but probably not geared as aggressively as the tC (pure speculation)
- 2" less rear headroom than the tC (34.6 vs 36.6)
- 4.5" less rear legroom than the tC (29.2 vs 33.6)

I had high hopes for the new Eclipse, but this thing is embarrassing. If you REALLY really want one, wait a year, they'll be selling at or below sticker by that point, your tC won't have depreciated that much more than it has already, and you can see whether you really like the Eclipse or not.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO - Don't trade in the TC for the '06 Eclipse unless the "newness factor" is worth a few grand to ya.

Reasoning - Mitsu offers discounts which destroys resale value. Unless you take full advantage of the discounts, the car just isn't worth it. Right now, the '06 Eclipse will NOT be discounted. The dealer will take full advantage that the car is "hot".
Even a local Scion dealer wouldn't budge on his "mandatory" aftermarket wheel package for the XB I was interested in Sept. '03 because the XB was "hot". Needless to say I found one somewhere else.

Side note - 162 HP? That sounds a lot like the Mitsu 2.4 engine. That's what they have in the Lancer Ralliart and the '04-'05 Outlander. Pretty good little engine. With turbo, it cranks out 240 HP.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="suby2scion"]
Originally Posted by Gambit7
KBB don't mean poopie. I sell cars and people walk in with KBB quotes all day...is KBB buying your car? No...the dealer is and they very well may not offer you KBB trade in value.

You wanna take a 3-5$K loss on your under a year-old car? Go ahead. We laugh at people who do that poopie. Like the kid who traded in his 8 month old Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V w/8K miles on it for 10 GRAND! and then got a WRX...stupid man stupid.
You must work at a chitty dealership that doesn't sell a lot of cars. I traded in my 2004 xB on my tC. The xB had 16,000 miles on it, paint issues, and rims with curb rash. When I bought my xB, I put 0 down and when I went to trade in my xB that I only had under 1 year...I got more than KBB listed it at, even with the paint issues. I took no loss on the xB. But that was at a GOOD dealership, not a stealership. Which most Mitsubishi dealerships are going to try to squeeze you for every penny they have.

-Z
Old 05-26-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went from an '02 eclipse to the tC..

I will never go back to a mitsubishi again. the A/C broke (condensor was leaking so bad all the freon came out in about 12 hours), the clear coat on the paint came off on the hood, roof & trunk (it looked terrible)

it rattled like crazy, it idled terrible... i could go on and on..

I do like the way the 4G eclipse looks, and I love the 263hp, but it's still a mitsubishi
Old 05-26-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
I do like the way the 4G eclipse looks, and I love the 263hp, but it's still a mitsubishi
I'd love the 263hp as well, but I'd rather have 300hp and RWD for the same price...
Old 05-26-2005, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the 06 eclipse is completely redesigned. So its probably not fair to say its crap based off of previous eclipse models. I do appreciate all of your oppinions on mitsubishi. I combine feedback and personal experience as a Mitsubishi owner, and still think they are a good brand (certainly not as good as toyota). And as for bargaining on a new car. Trust me, you can knock off at least 2K off msrp easily. I did that with my 2000 galant when it first came out in 1999. Made the sales rep take off $2100 off sticker. As it stands right now, I will wait until 06 and then reevaluate the situation, most likely look at a used 06 eclipse to minimize my loss or maybe try to break even. But being that I love my tC too, I may end up just keeping it for a long time to come.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Captain tC
Well the 06 eclipse is completely redesigned. So its probably not fair to say its crap based off of previous eclipse models. I do appreciate all of your oppinions on mitsubishi. I combine feedback and personal experience as a Mitsubishi owner, and still think they are a good brand (certainly not as good as toyota). And as for bargaining on a new car. Trust me, you can knock off at least 2K off msrp easily. I did that with my 2000 galant when it first came out in 1999. Made the sales rep take off $2100 off sticker. As it stands right now, I will wait until 06 and then reevaluate the situation, most likely look at a used 06 eclipse to minimize my loss or maybe try to break even. But being that I love my tC too, I may end up just keeping it for a long time to come.
I know how you feel, Captain. Personally, the tC wasn't my car of choice, per say. But it was my choice car for the price range. Pretty much nothing else compared in terms of performance, styling, reliability, and value. And I'm somewhat of a Honda boy. My tC, like any car I would have gotten were the tC not around, is like a stepping stone. There are other cars out there that I want far more then my tC, such as an IS. Especially the new IS, the IS250/350. The tC is an incredibly affordable car that I don’t have to put myself out for in order to pay the note and insurance (and thankful also happens to be a wonderful car in general). So, even when the new IS comes out I'm not going to jump out and get it, I'm going to wait and pay off my tC while setting money aside. That way, when the tC is paid for, still holding much of it's value, I'll be in a financial situation that will make the IS payments as easy on my wallet as the tC's payments are. I wont have the IS when it first comes out, or even in its 2nd year of production. But I'll still have it, and after all of the kinks have been worked, just in time for a Special Edition version and around the time the aftermarket support for it will be maturing and true performance parts will be available. ^_^ Its win-win. In short, if I were in your situation (and I am), I would wait patiently and pay off the tC. Then hop into the new car that I really want with no worries. We have a damn good car to be "stuck in," eh?

On a side note, and a completely different subject (sorry for the hi-jack) can anyone comment on the reliability of the 3000 GT VR4? I've been looking into one as a project car of sorts. I would find one used, regardless of its condition, and pretty much rebuild it, including the entire drive train. But I would probably use OEM for a lot of the parts, and I don’t want to re-build a car that's just going to give a ton a problem. So, I would appreciate any insight since we're on the subject of Mitsu quality.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cars are not something you buy on impulse unless you're stinkin rich. Others and I will tell you that trading the tC now for an 06 Eclipse is a bad financial decision. Oh, and wait a year or two before considering the Eclipse. If you still like it as much as now, then trade the tC for the Eclipse. Many people trade in their good cars for something new and flashy only to find later that it sucks and they miss their old car. Let the impulse thing pass and look at the Mitsu again when you have a clear head.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like a giant bar of soap....

They're ugly...and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Eclipses chick cars??
Old 05-26-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

reminds me of a mercury cougar
Old 05-26-2005, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjj130

hell yeah all eclipses were with the exception of the 95-99 GSX!!!!!!!!!!
5 Year Member

Damn!!!

This sicc azz new Eclipse...looks just like a mid-to late 90's eclipse.

Not to mention that is't a Mitsu. no thanks.
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjj130

he..he careful, rumor has it the tC is developing the same reputation.

Do what I do and ignore chick car, guy car stereotypes. Buy what you like. Unless it is something very obvious like the miata, THATS a chicks car.

Anyway, great advice from all. Thanks. I will hold off on the eclipse for the time being.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading the tC for the Eclipse 06