Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Windshield dam question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:51 AM

Default Windshield dam question

Not sure if my tC is considered first generation (2005) but I need to know the nomenclature and part number of that strip of rubber on the exterior top of the windshield that fills in the gap between the sun roof glass deflector and the windshield. Looking at all of those exploded diagrams Toyota puts out does not help much. I noticed a few years back the rubber strip starting to curl up on the ends. Now the whole strip is all deformed and hardened. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, the service manuals don't have part numbers. The best thing I have found is browsing a few toyota/scion parts sites, and locate one that has parts diagrams. These diagrams should have the toyota part number. Then you can just order it online or at a local dealership to avoid the ridiculous shipping costs.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this what you talking about.......
FRONT MOULDING
Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by J_Leon
Is this what you talking about.......
FRONT MOULDING
Actually, it is not, but I appreciate that. What it is (as best as I can describe) is a rubber/neoprene strip about 2" wide and approx. 36 inches long ( the width of the windshield) that fits on top of the top of the windshield and the glass sunroof deflector. On the underside of this strip are grooves the fit into the channel of the metal piece that the afore mentioned sunroof deflector is attached to. I don't know if the newer model tCs still have this or not. It's most likely so nondescript that nobody notices it. I did the same until it began curling up on the ends. Two days ago it actually curled its way out of the channel.

Yesterday I thought that I had the right part number and went to the Toyota/Scion dealer to order it. Today I went to pick it up and was highly disappointed when they brought out a thin strip of foam rubber window seal. They called it a "windshield dam". I tried showing them what it looked like on the actual Scions but...they had none at all on the lot! Mine was still in my garage after having come off so I couldn't show them mine. I am going back there tomorrow to take a look at something they "think" is the correct part. I will bring my curled up whatever you call it with me.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your's is off, I assume you checked if a part number was molded in there, correct? This is a pretty obscure piece.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 PM

Yes, I did look for anything that might have been on the part. And no, nothing at all. I'm headed to the dealership now to see what they ordered and to show them what mine looks like.
I'm not sure how plyable this strip was when new, but it was all stiff and kind of warped, making it difficult to put back on. I ended up soaking it in a solution of brake fluid and some "Marvel Mystery Oil" to soften it up a bit. It is now back on the car.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Mystery solved! I need to apologize to J Leon. That actually IS the correct piece. Just an FYI to tC owners. If you have ever had your windshield replaced and find this top piece flapping around or, in my case, curling up and coming off, you can easily blame your windshield installer.

I've had mine replaced twice and that may have been when it began. It appears that the installer may not have purchased this piece (maybe to save money or whatever) and opted to CUT the top portion away from the sides. So, what I thought was a separate piece was actually a three sided molding. The part number is 75533-21041 and goes for $73.39 from the dealer. From what I've read on other forums (and did not believe at that time) this piece HAS to be installed by removing the windshield.

For now, I will try to adhere it with some adhesive and hope it works. My next option is to hope that a rock hits the windshield. This time I will demand that the installer replace this molding. Case solved!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't need to apologize,that's what we are here for......to help and try to solve other scion owners with questions and concerns.