Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Axle vibration/noise help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unhappy Axle vibration/noise help

Good afteroon!

So I got this problem and its driving me nuts, mainly because I'm so busy with work and I have no time or place to lift the car and inspect things my self.

Little background of the problem.

Driving on 95 doing about 80 I started to get a violent shake, I pulled to the side and call a tow truck. I knew the driver side axle had a torn boot that I had been driving for about 1 year. So first thing I think its the axle. Now.. I ordered a new axle online and have my mechanic install everything.

My mechanic ( master tech 30 years +) tells me he had his son take the car up to 80 and everything was good. I drove the car home and it started to shake once again. shakes under acceleration and its not a brake shake. It's also making a horrible grinding noise.

so two things i can think of could be the culprit
1. Defective part from online store.
2. Wheel hub bearing gone ? but why ?? wtf?

Any suggestions on fix would be greatly appreciate it. I all ready had my mechanic order a new axle but I'm just trying to brainstorm this.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... the bearing will cause a grinding noise, especially when turning because of the added pressure put on it. I have had cashed-out bearings shake before, but not just at that high of a speed. I have had them shake even at 50. I mean, different vehicle make, but I have had it happen. You're hub just might be shot. What style transmission and how many miles do you have?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

doubt this has anthing to do with it but is it possibly your suspension? is it coming from a certain side or front/back? one of your wheels out of balance?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be the metal disc cover plate (don't know what it's really called) that's behind the rotor. Once had that bent a little and was rubbing against the rotor, making a horrible grinding sound.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same exact problem and its cause my axel boot was torn in half and all the grease leaked out
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"If the car is shaking under acceleration, it usually is the tires."

Uhmm.. NO! I'm pretty sure you don't know what are you talking about. If you have wheel balance/tire problem you will have shake on the steering wheel no matter if you coasting or accelerating around 80mph.

I had the same thing. Car was shaking violently under acceleration. Not just the steering wheel but the whole floor. You can feel it thru the gas pedal. When i changed both front axles the violent shaking was gone. But its still shaking dropped + aftermarket axles= money spent not too well.

About your problem:
Tire? i dont think so. bump on the tire will shake your car regardless of coasting or accelerating or braking.
Balance? no. see ^
Lug nuts? I think they make the car shake when you brake not when you accelerate and def. not at 80mph.
Suspension? Again... i think you would feel it all the time.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tldr
Old 10-11-2012, 06:00 AM

Sometimes tire imbalance can only be felt when going a bit faster. Just depends how unbalanced they are.

Did you check your inner/outer tie rods for excessive play?
Here a good website. http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/au.../ccr20060301tr

You can also check for wheel bearing play if you do what the website says at 12 and 6 o clock.

Real easy to do and can elimate a couple componenets.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for all your input! Turns out the right side drive axle was bad on it as well. OR i may have replaced the wrong axle LOL. anyways BOTH axles were removed and replaced.

I still have a small amount of shake but i think its my tires being cupped from driving it while a damaged axle. I plan on getting the Front tires swapped across and balanced see if that takes care of the small vibrating issue.

The griding noise was the backing plate hitting the rotor lol.

like i said thanks again for all your input.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LEDeZ
Sometimes tire imbalance can only be felt when going a bit faster. Just depends how unbalanced they are.

Did you check your inner/outer tie rods for excessive play?
Here a good website. http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/au.../ccr20060301tr

You can also check for wheel bearing play if you do what the website says at 12 and 6 o clock.

Real easy to do and can elimate a couple componenets.
this i shall do as well. I have just a tad under 100k miles on my car, so I'm a bit concerned. Anyone know the life of the hub bearings?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member

Default THANKS !!!

I have the same exact issue, except!!! This problem sprang entirely overnight, AND it violently shakes THE WHOLE VEHICLE from the rear-view mirror to the floor board and pedals @ anything above 30 mph DURING ACCELERATION ONLY. I was convinced the wheels and tires weren't the culprit, even though I'm running on 17x9.75 with a 25 offset on 205-40-17. Philadelphia pot holes are the worst, though. In my experience, if it is a wheel and tire issue, (for example: a "bubble", "unbalanced", or "wear") the problem persists regardless of acceleration, coasting or braking. Wheel hub bearings are the same way. Once you build enough speed, the grounding noise or the vibrations don't stop. I've had loose lug nuts before, and they've done the same thing, but consistently. So WHY oh WHY does it only happen during acceleration only? Then I remembered: "Well ... I've had the car for almost exactly a year, and the CV-Boot was already busted when I got it, and then I drove for 4 hours to and from another town at over 70-100 mph. Oh yea ... I also slammed it on Racelands to it's lowest setting." It has to be the CV-Joint. I had a similar issue in a 4x4 Toyota 4runner from 1994 generation. In that case, it was balljoint spaced by 1" giving it a full 6" lift. The CV-Joint on the 4runner was maxed out at rest, and on the freeway hitting humps, it would extend to the point where it would violently shake. Ultimately, one of the joints escaped the cup and prevented me from turning. Luckily, because I'm STREETRACER my fantastic skills kept me from flipping. It's freezing, right now, in Philly, and I've got a ton of errands, etc. to do before class is back in session, so I probably won't be able to purchase the parts and replace it for awhile. SMH ... and I just had the engine rebuilt by toyota a couple months ago ... freakin' 2az-fe ... oil pressure light started indicating BEFORE 500 miles during the consumption test. 2008 Scion xB