Notices

Post Your Tire Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Post Your Tire Review

Contribute a brief summary about your current tires, or tires you have previously owned on your tC. Keep in mind that this thread is only useful if your review is specific to the tC. So, please limit your tire reviews pertaining to other cars. After all, this can be beneficial on SL to hear vast experiences about tire performance among other members owning the same car. You can also update your review as you rack on miles on new tires. Positive and negative reviews are welcomed for summer, snow, all-season, & etc performance tires.

Here are just some of the criteria's to help make your tire review. First, state your tire info & $$$ paid for one tire. Then describe wet, dry, ice & snow traction performance as well as ride comfort and handling aspects. Importantly, include the tread life rating if you happen to know it. I may have forgotten some areas to consider, so please, add it towards your review.

And also... I'm well aware of the different performance setups to be a factor in tread life of tires and what not, so if you're boosted or on coil-overs, let it be known in your review.

Hope this turns out well and saves us from regrets of owning under-performing tires.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock rims with Goodyear Eagle F1 Off Season Tires UHP

Ive gone through already three sets of tires including the crappy bridgestones the tc came with since i got my car in sept 05. After those i got Kelly tires they were the sh itiest tires ive ever had.I got flat tires all the time with them.

Now i got goodyear Eagle F1 Ultra high performance. all season tires that ive had for about a year. They got carbon reinforced side walls and has a outer lip that protects the rims from curb checks. I gotta say they are the best out their. Got them for $500 installed at a local tire shop, It handles alot better on corners, i have nothing done to the suspension and i can go about 70 around a curve on an on ramp. I live in Cleveland and we get a ton of snow, and it grips really good in the snow. They definately made a difference at the track, they stuck to the ground pretty well after i got it down to a pat. Highly recommend them best choice out their.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow this thread could use a boost.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy michelin's.

or go to , www.tires-easy.com for cheap
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive gone through two types of falkens already

rt615's are great, unless theres water on the ground.. in which case you probably cant move your car

ziex 512's are cheap and make alot of noise
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tire: Falken Azenis RT-615
Size: 225/45/17 (OEM wheels)
Price: $110/ea @ VulcanTire.com
Miles: this summer
1-10: 8
Summary: Fantastic for the price. Wet traction pretty much sucks. Lose grip with too much heat.

Been running Falken's all summer (these are summer ONLY tires). Mostly b/c of autox - so they've gotten a lot more wear than they normally would.

For street use, they're good summer tires, but as Mike said above, they're not really fantastic in the rain. Dry traction is awesome, really. I've actually been concerned while driving in the rain with them. Especially before I rotated them.

Autox use: These are one of the most popular autox tires (if not THE most popular). They really are fantastic... until you get maybe 2 runs on them. Then they start to get greasy and you'll just lose time. Best suggestion you could ever have is to bring a water/garden sprayer and spray the tires between runs. Then you'll keep the temps down and they'll stick again!

There... there's a bump for this dying thread.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tire: Continental ContiExtremeContact
Size: 215/45/17 (OEM wheels)
Price: $86/ea @ tirerack.com
Miles: two winters
1-10: 6.5
Summary: Well priced all-seasons. Dry traction isn't fantastic but snow traction is decent.

I used these tires for two winters (and swapped for summer tires and stored during the summer). Just wanted affordable all-seasons to get me through the winter. I live in the Northeast, so driving through snow is an absolute given. Didn't want to shell out for just snow tires.

Dry traction is OK, but they are a bit soft and squishy IMO. Not a good "performance" all-season despite their "ultra high performance all-season" category. But they are affordable, so it's a trade off.

Light snow traction is pretty good. Obviously it goes downhill with the depth of the snow... but as long as you know how to drive in snow, you'll be fine. I'd recommend them if you're looking for simple all-season tires at a good price. If you live further north or get a LOT of snow (Buffalo kind of snow), I'd say you should be on snow tires.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tire: Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Starspec
Size: 225/40-18 (aftermarket)
Price: $158/ea @ tirerack.com
Miles: 200
1-10: 9.5
Summary: The best dry-traction street tire currently available, bar none. Not bad in the rain either!

For the longest time, in the autocross world, the Falken Azenis was king. Not too long ago, Bridgestone came out with the Legendary RE-01R, which quickly won the hearts of autocrossers nationwide. This year at nationals, they ran a new tire... this one.

Dry traction, needless to say, is far beyond anything I've ever expected. Understeer has always been a given in our cars, yet, with this tire, it's everything but eliminated... I'm sure the only time you'd ever experience it is under pure racing circumstances. The tires are very well behaved at the limit, with very predictable and gradual loss of grip... and very predictable return, making it easy to navigate that sharp turn with only initial braking and throttle modulation.

Wet traction is actually not bad. We get a lot of water down here in Louisiana, and I was expecting this tire to spin all day long at the first sign of water. Thankfully, I was wrong. Grip does decrease somewhat, yet stopping ability is actually great! I wouldn't go about testing the limits, but at no point was I ever having to think twice about a puddle.

Of course, stay far... far... far.. away from snow or off-road paths. This tire needs to be babied over grass and gravel, and is probably worthless for snow of any type.

In all, though expensive, I HIGHLY recommend. I expect to get a reasonable lifespan out of the tire (25-30k, with 40 autocross runs tops... based on others' reporting)... and it's an upgrade I can appreciate every day.

If the treadwear were 300 (instead of 200)... This tire would get a 10 rating. Because of its price and slightly reduced lifespan, it gets a 9.5
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Stock rims with Goodyear Eagle F1 Off Season Tires UHP

Originally Posted by dsil06tc
Ive gone through already three sets of tires including the crappy bridgestones the tc came with since i got my car in sept 05. After those i got Kelly tires they were the sh itiest tires ive ever had.I got flat tires all the time with them.

Now i got goodyear Eagle F1 Ultra high performance. all season tires that ive had for about a year. They got carbon reinforced side walls and has a outer lip that protects the rims from curb checks. I gotta say they are the best out their. Got them for $500 installed at a local tire shop, It handles alot better on corners, i have nothing done to the suspension and i can go about 70 around a curve on an on ramp. I live in Cleveland and we get a ton of snow, and it grips really good in the snow. They definately made a difference at the track, they stuck to the ground pretty well after i got it down to a pat. Highly recommend them best choice out their.
Installed for $500?? I called a local shop that someone told me had "good prices." He quoted me at $750....
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people need to post more reviews here ...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
Tire: Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Starspec
Size: 225/40-18 (aftermarket)
Price: $158/ea @ tirerack.com
Miles: 200
1-10: 9.5
Summary: The best dry-traction street tire currently available, bar none. Not bad in the rain either!

For the longest time, in the autocross world, the Falken Azenis was king. Not too long ago, Bridgestone came out with the Legendary RE-01R, which quickly won the hearts of autocrossers nationwide. This year at nationals, they ran a new tire... this one.

[img]https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/dunlop/du_dir_spt_z1_starspec_ci2_l.jpg[/imcg]

Dry traction, needless to say, is far beyond anything I've ever expected. Understeer has always been a given in our cars, yet, with this tire, it's everything but eliminated... I'm sure the only time you'd ever experience it is under pure racing circumstances. The tires are very well behaved at the limit, with very predictable and gradual loss of grip... and very predictable return, making it easy to navigate that sharp turn with only initial braking and throttle modulation.

Wet traction is actually not bad. We get a lot of water down here in Louisiana, and I was expecting this tire to spin all day long at the first sign of water. Thankfully, I was wrong. Grip does decrease somewhat, yet stopping ability is actually great! I wouldn't go about testing the limits, but at no point was I ever having to think twice about a puddle.

Of course, stay far... far... far.. away from snow or off-road paths. This tire needs to be babied over grass and gravel, and is probably worthless for snow of any type.

In all, though expensive, I HIGHLY recommend. I expect to get a reasonable lifespan out of the tire (25-30k, with 40 autocross runs tops... based on others' reporting)... and it's an upgrade I can appreciate every day.

If the treadwear were 300 (instead of 200)... This tire would get a 10 rating. Because of its price and slightly reduced lifespan, it gets a 9.5
thank you for this review. i went out and bought a set to replace my rt615's (which were pieces of poop.. i cant belive people run with these on their evo's and stuff...) and the difference was absolutely incredible. INCREDIBLE I TELL YOU~!!!!!

the 615's were OKAY and would start to squeal alot when you pushed them in the turns but these star specs grip the road where the 615's would be crying their hearts out! and to make things better, when you decided to be ridiculous and push the star specs to the limit (and trust me, you really SHOULDNT be turning that hard anywhere on the road lol) they are as quiet as they are when you are in a parking lot. haha

i second the 9.5/10
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Category: Ultra High Performance Summer
Brand: Yokohama
Model: S-Drive
Size: 225/40R18
SPD Rating: 92Y
UTQG: Tread = 300 / Traction = AA / Temp = A
Price: $144.00 ea.

Summary:
I decided to take a chance with a set of S-Drive tires I purchased last year in July.
I bought them to replace my stock equipt Bridgestone Potenza. I got a lot of miles out of the Bridgestone and was overall satisfied with it in terms of lifespan, all-season performance, and ride quality. When I upgraded to a Yokohama high performance summer tire, I noticed an increased dry and wet traction launch from a dead stop (the stock tires broke loose easily). Also noticed in the rain that my brakes hardly goes into ABS mode on a moderate stop with these Yokos. They grip the wet pavement pretty well on hard stops too. While those performance conditions improved, I thought the wet 'n dry handling aspects felt the same as the stock tires. The sidewalls seemed a little flexible and seemed to transmit driver input at the steering wheel with a little delay compared to the feel of Bridgestones. But, they both handled pretty good. Although, the Yokos were hummingly noisy the moment I started putting miles on them. So ride comfort was a dissappointment for me. I only use these tires for summer use, so I don't have many miles on them. I took them off for winter storage in Oct '08 and noticed my inner tread wear of rear tires were beginning to cup. I had my alignment checked and found camber and toe wheel angles in spec. Front caster angle was borderline GREEN on the positive side, but that wasn't of concern with my compromise of my car being so low, and does not have an effect on tire wear also. Right now, I guess I will stick with what I purchased. I'm not completely unhappy with them yet. I have low miles on them, so I'll have to update my review later at the end of summer.

Overall, the tire is not bad for the price I paid for in its class and technology.

CONCLUSION
If you like to take your car on the drag strip, these are the tires to consider.
If you autoX your tC, I would recommend another choice.
For a daily commuter, muffle the tire droning sound with your sound system.

10 Scale Performance Rating:
Performance/Handling = 6
Wet Traction = 7
Dry Traction = 8
Ride quality = 5
Durability = future update

Overall standing = 6.7
Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone tried the cooper mastercraft avenger tire? I've heard they're good, but I'd rather hear from someone that has ran a set of them. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Fuzion HRI all Season - The Cheap Tire Review

Price: 67$ per tire
Overall rating: 6.8

(Half assed review since I'm closing down my shop, but when I get home I'll edit and make some changes)

Overall, these tires were put through abuse for two seasons of all year driving. When you first get them, they grip a ton of a lot better than those sh**** stock yokohama tires the dealers slap on them, but road noise is considerably louder (hasn't really bothered me since I have a system in the car). In the rain, I must say they perform really well, and in the dry it performs even better. Never have I once lost control from emergency breaking or in the rain, and I noticed the abs isn't kicking in as much either. The first season of snow, it was a dream... I couldn't believe the gripping on these puppies but the second season all hell broke loose. I would get stuck going up-hill in 2 inches of snow, and in ice forget about it. I had to rock the car on flat surfaced ice just to reverse out of my buddies driveway. The treadlife on these tires are remarkable, within two years I racked 45,000 miles on them and still got plenty of treading left... but I'm looking for a better set of tires since I'll be doing some engine work in the summer, along with new suspension.
But overall, if you want affordable, cheap tires, that last long you should buy these. I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles and I'm very surprised with the performance it has given me so far. Still a lot of treading left, and still grips awesome in the rain and in the dry.

update 06/11/09:
Recently I did some suspension work. Tein Basic Coilovers running slightly negative camber. With the car lower it hits real hard on these tires... sometimes I feel like my rim is going to crack. Going at corners the tires "chirp" at slightly high speeds, and due to the negative camber and how long I've had these tires for... they're done for. It lasted a long time, but fuzions aren't the way to go for aggressively dropped cars. Well maybe they are? My tires were used for 50,000 miles until I slapped the new suspension on, so I may be wrong there. Yeah, I said 50,000 . The tires are pretty bald now, so I'm scared to go too fast, or whip corners like I used to... but I must say, looking at all four tires bald is a pretty thing to see, and the wear on them is even. I did a good job on these.

I'm ordering the Nitto Neogens ZR's once my direct deposit hits in five hours, should be getting them installed Monday or Tuesday. I'll write a detailed first impressions review and keep updating every now and then. My buddy says Nitto's are good for aggressively dropped cars, and the reviews on them speak for themselves. Can't wait to slap those puppies on
Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^ok what tire was that?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

fuzion hri
Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Tire: Falken Ziex 912
Size: 225/40/18
Price: $102ea @ discounttiredirect.com
Miles: $15K
1-10: 4
Summary:

WORST TIRE I HAVE EVER OWNED!!! Traction that is actually worse/ comperable to the stock yokos!!! Dry traction was pathetic to say the least, no launch ability, and lots of tire noise when dry out. Wet traction was scary at best, kept getting stuck in the ruts on the freeway. The worst was the snw though. No traction what-so-ever, swapped on my BF Goodrich G-force Super Sports and got around fine! If you are in an area that is dry all the time, not driving aggressive and just want a tire with a nice side profile, then these are got you!

If you are trading in your car or you are helping an ex get tires, get these.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Tire: BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport A/S
Price: $131ea @ tirerack.com
Miles: 20K
1-10: 9
Summary:

GREAT ALL SEASON PERFORMANCE TIRE!!! Dry traction is amazing!!! I have to try to break them loose! Great in the corners and very low road noise! Wet traction is impressive but obviously easier to break loose. No problems with breaking in any condition and they do well in snow/ice too! Side profile is a little bulky but I have had worse...

Deff would reccomend for daily driving up to aggressve driving, autox...they need to warm up a bit.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Tire: Yokohama Parada Spec-2
Price: $137ea @ tirerack.com
Miles: about 8K
1-10: 7
Summary:

Great tire for beginners!!! I got these on a used set of rims and had to buy 2 new ones as the others were shot. Good dry traction, but they had to warm up a bit to be of any on the tC in the corners, great wet traction, and phenominal in the snow & ice!!! Very aggressive tread pattern which helps set off your car and really nice side profile as well. Overall good tire, even better once it gets warm!!

Reccomend as a good 1st set of tires on custom wheels, really helps you learn how to improve your tC's suspension and how to drive with understeer (at least it did for me).
Old 04-26-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have falken tires. which came with the car, pretty nice tires...

Quick Reply: Post Your Tire Review