10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^some are really nice...not all
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tire reviews

Ok well I am on my second set of tiresa and need a new set badly already. I had the stock bridgestone which everyone knows aren't the greatest. They last me 22k miles before 1 of them refused to hold air so I went to my local goodyear and the suggested some goodyear eagle 1 gt's. I got them a size bigger than stock 225/45z/17. At first I loved these tires. The stick to the road like bubble gum dry or wet. The did great in light snow and being that im in the northeast, with our horrible roads the held up good. The only problem is that by time I went to rotate my tires after 6k the fronts where shot. No I wasn't doing crazy burn outs. I do tend to drive kind of hard and I do a lot of city driving but any tire should last more that 6k miles. They where 123 each mounted and balanced. Hope that helps.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been running Cooper Zeon ZPT's for about 6 months and about 5000 miles and love them in all conditions. The tread pattern is very aggressive & sporty looking and performs well whether it be dry, wet, snow, or dirt. I feel they're a winner and very affordable. I know a guy but I got mine (all 4) brand new put on the car for $365.00!

(alt+p)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hummmm..watching..
Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sumitomo HTR Z III
225/40 ZR18
All 4 installed for under $500
Love them.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got a set of the new Kuhmo Ecsta XS tires on yesterday and the grip is unbelieveable... $600 out the door... they even ride well making freeway bumper dots less noticable... can't wait to see how well they perform after a few months...
Old 06-18-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Nitto Neogen ZR

Fuzions died on me finally, so slapped these on two nights ago. Overall, the tires are 92 dollars on discounttiredirect.com with free shipping... and I gotta tell you these are some sexy tires. Not only does it look sexy, but the drive is incredible. With my tein basic coilovers it feels like I'm in a luxury car. I could barely hear the road noise, and it handles corners like no other. Instead of the normal screeching noise going at high speeds on corners, I hear this... I don't know? Howling noise I guess? It creeps me out, but the grip is nuts. I drove in heavy rain today, ran over big puddles on purpose... no hydroplaning. Even at a stop, going uphill my tires didn't slip in the rain. It definitely makes driving more enjoyable. It was either toyo proxies or nittos, and I'm glad I went with the nittos.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

19/225/35 Toyo Proxes 4 were good to me while they lasted.

19/225/35 Toyo Proxes FZ4 were the cheaper replacements. I liked them better than the proxes 4. They seemed alot smoother and cut down on some road noise. I use them in Southern California. I have no idea how either would perform under harsher conditions.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Great Azenis 615 review, I thought I was the only one who thought the tires absolutely sucked in the rain.

I dont mean like, stock suck.. i'm talking I would rather not venture out into the rain, kind of suck, lol. I couldn't even imagine trying to accelerate with a boosted car in the rain with them - my N/A bounces limiter trying to get going in 2nd.

Also with the Azenis like all other sticky tires, road debris gets kicked up like a mother. My tires constantly throw sht against the side of the car - i'd had to have even lower offset wheels.

And finally, they follow road transitions/uneven pavement. Again from what i've read its all sticky tires that do this, but I hate it.

But dry traction is sick. I can't say enough about the dry traction. I've played with a few stock 5spd tc's and the launch is like night and day between the two cars.

Just figured i'd throw in my two cents, been looking around for some winter tires/wheels and this topic is pretty helpful.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Falken ZIEX ZE-329 - 215/45/17

This was the first set of tires I purchased for my cars after my stock Bridgestones lasted me for about 33,000 miles. These Falkens lasted me for a good 25,000 miles until the couldn't be rotated anymore. I didn't really have a choice when purchasing these tires because I had a flat tire and pretty much all my tires were worn so I needed new tires for a road trip a few days after. I bought them and had them installed at a local BigOTire for about $550. It was pretty much a rip off but I needed tires and all the shops in town weren't going to have the tires I wanted in stock for a few business days.

The tires were performed worst than I had anticipated. On the mountain highway to San Francisco, the wheels felt like they were losing grip at 65-70 mph. These were brand new tires that I had bearly put 100 miles on. A few thousand miles later the tires seemed finally start gripping, I guess a break-in period was necessary. I wouldn't recommend purchasing these tires at all. They'll perform okay for in-city driving, but I wouldn't recommend them for highway driving where high speeds are ncessary. Road noise was pretty bad from the beginning. Near the end of tread life, the tires were horrible, no comfort at all and the road noise was horrible. I just got some Falken FK-452's (by luck) recently to replace this set, so I'll write a review on these tires after i put a few thousand miles on them.

Last edited by 10gxiong; 08-11-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by yaamakoh

Fuzions died on me finally, so slapped these on two nights ago. Overall, the tires are 92 dollars on discounttiredirect.com with free shipping... and I gotta tell you these are some sexy tires. Not only does it look sexy, but the drive is incredible. With my tein basic coilovers it feels like I'm in a luxury car. I could barely hear the road noise, and it handles corners like no other. Instead of the normal screeching noise going at high speeds on corners, I hear this... I don't know? Howling noise I guess? It creeps me out, but the grip is nuts. I drove in heavy rain today, ran over big puddles on purpose... no hydroplaning. Even at a stop, going uphill my tires didn't slip in the rain. It definitely makes driving more enjoyable. It was either toyo proxies or nittos, and I'm glad I went with the nittos.

hahah wow, i think im gonna order these.. I already have 31 k on the stock tires.. hahaha.. They front ones started to deflate on me slowly.. I think im gonna end up getting these cause i read reviews on it.. seems really good.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

i need new tires asap, this thread is full of win. thanks for the good reviews!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Category: Ultra High Performance Summer
Brand: Fuzion
Model: ZRi
Size: 215/45R17
Price: $90.00 ea.
Miles: 18,000
1-10:7

My first 20,000 miles were on the crappy Yokohomo stock tires. I have since been using the ZRi's and really liked the performance boost. Between not slipping at from normal take offs to corning the clover-leafs at 60mph on interstate on/off ramps I quickly fell in love with the tires. Until winter came that is, they are summer tires and Colorado snow was not nice to them. Drivability goes down by half, I only survived because I have a manual otherwise I would spin out all the time from a stop. I did lose all grip going up a hill, took 3 people pushing the car to get to the top (Other vehicles were losing grip too, terrible hill after the snow is packed). I've burned them up in the 18,000 miles I've had them, between hard cornering and aggressive take offs. With the supercharger I can get them to slip pretty easy, through 2nd gear but that's not normal driving. The first 10,000 miles on them they did ok in wet conditions but after wear and tear I did notice some grip issues now and then on a wet road

In short, these are great SUMMER/DRY tires.
With summer coming to an end and needing new tires, unfortunately I'm going to try out something else... all season performance.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 AM

Default Continental Extreme Contact DWS or General Tire Altimax HP???????????

Anyone try out the Continental Extreme Contact DWS ($106 a piece) on a scion tc yet? my friend got them on his VW GLI and they are awesome but im not sure how it would be on a tc...the contiextremcontacts from last year did bad on the tcs cause they had a thin wall and the ride was mushy...

the general tire altimax HPs have great reviews on tirerack for 89 bucks a piece and do well in dry wet and snow, but im not too sure about the tread design...the tread design to the extreme contact dws is unique

any thoughts?

general tire altimax hp or continental extreme contact dws???
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone kno any think about toyo proxes 4? i have falken fk452's right now but my volks are coming wit them proxes.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pmw786

the general tire altimax HPs have great reviews on tirerack for 89 bucks a piece and do well in dry wet and snow, but im not too sure about the tread design...the tread design to the extreme contact dws is unique

any thoughts?

general tire altimax hp
Despite the raves I've heard from Discount Tire people that they aren't as good as the hype. The Exclaim UHPs on the other hand do deliver awesome bang for the buck. I'm getting those for my next tires, 2 will be going on hopefully this weekend. HTRZ III were my other top choice as I live in Florida and don't have to deal with snow but the roads do get wet down here.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Kumho Ecsta SPTs. Good sh*t, great in summer and great in rain.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Yep

I just recently purchased Hankook Ventus Evo K110 tires. These tires are insane... Compared to the Wanli/Sunny Crap tires, actually there really is no comparision....

They have gotten very good ratings across the board... If you go to tirerack.com you can read the reviews..

P225/40ZR18 Hankook Ventus Evo K110

Give it a try..
Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I love my dunlop direzza z1, 235/40.. it grips better than my toyo p4, on dry.. its kinda pricey but ive been boosting pretty often since i got this, lol the thread life is gonna kill me
Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 PM
SL Member

i've done about 40k on my proxes4 and I have to say they were amazing until about 30k. You def start to lose some wet grip after that and now they spin even on dry. I live in NY and snow was a huge concern for me but they fared OK last winter, I have a stick so that helped. Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine. Trying to decide if i should get them again or go for something else. I got them for 500 installed, tax everything.

Quick Reply: Post Your Tire Review