Notices

Req: Aggressive wheel stance pics

Old 04-05-2009, 07:56 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RCZDesigns
I know people do it, i've seen beasts of vehicles with a helluvalot of stretch.

I like the look, but to me it seems the tire may allow enough flex for the wheel its self to touch pavement under hard cornering. Hence the question about handling.
I guess if you run a lot of camber maybe and or not much air pressure....
Either way its more for looks not to go track your car. But still ive run much more stretch then this with more HP and my audi handles great.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FallonBMPTC
Originally Posted by Domo
I think sacrificing safety for looks is bad enough but a lot of things go into play..your tire life, performance, and etc. For example, do you see any track or drag car running stretched tires? No..even cars straight out of the factory will never see stretched tires mainly because they are unsafe and horrible on turns. In order for maximum grip, you need as much rubber as you can get to contact the pavement. Other then what I said, I commend you for your aggressive style.
So you think because the rim is wider the same amount of tire isn't touching the pavement? Drift cars often run stretched tires, Cars don't come from the factory like that because its for looks purpose only, not to gain anything further. And in less you're at a point where you have to blast the tires to get the beads to seat then safety isn't really an issue. I used to run 205s on a 9.5's for the past year and Ive NEVER had a problem on my S4, at 367 wheel tq and 403hp and tons of hard driving.
true drift cars can run stretched tires as well as any car in general but that doesnt mean they do it. Even in drift, the drivers want as much traction as possible because they need to power out of corners. You really think they would run the risk of stretching there tires just for looks? They actually put there cars at risk 24-7 because thats all there car does. They go through 2 to 3 sets of tires in a session. I highly doubt they will run stretched. And did you examine fully on how stretched tires look? They have a substantial curve, and the sides of the tires have very little impact towards the pavement. And just because you didnt notice the problem of running stretch, does not mean the problem does not exist.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM
SL Member

I think sacrificing safety for looks is bad enough but a lot of things go into play..your tire life, performance, and etc. For example, do you see any track or drag car running stretched tires? No..even cars straight out of the factory will never see stretched tires mainly because they are unsafe and horrible on turns. In order for maximum grip, you need as much rubber as you can get to contact the pavement. Other then what I said, I commend you for your aggressive style.
So you think because the rim is wider the same amount of tire isn't touching the pavement? Drift cars often run stretched tires, Cars don't come from the factory like that because its for looks purpose only, not to gain anything further. And in less you're at a point where you have to blast the tires to get the beads to seat then safety isn't really an issue. I used to run 205s on a 9.5's for the past year and Ive NEVER had a problem on my S4, at 367 wheel tq and 403hp and tons of hard driving.
true drift cars can run stretched tires as well as any car in general but that doesnt mean they do it. Even in drift, the drivers want as much traction as possible because they need to power out of corners. You really think they would run the risk of stretching there tires just for looks? They actually put there cars at risk 24-7 because thats all there car does. They go through 2 to 3 sets of tires in a session. I highly doubt they will run stretched. And did you examine fully on how stretched tires look? They have a substantial curve, and the sides of the tires have very little impact towards the pavement. And just because you didnt notice the problem of running stretch, does not mean the problem does not exist.
Sooo because the rim is so wide that means you should run a tire wide enough to fit it properly according to you? to insure best traction. Ok well if the widest tire i can fit on a scion tc is a 255 and it fits perfect on a 9" wheel, then I wanna put a 10.5 wheel to give it a stretch look thats gonna change my traction and performance of the same size tire? Life is full of risk just because its not a common problem as it made be for a tire that fits a wheel properly doesn't mean its still not safe. I see a lot more blow outs because of age of a tire, condition, wear, pot holes ect...If you wanna drive your scion tc hard then maybe you should be looking into a car that's designed for how you drive and stick to properly fitting tires, while im slamming my cars on stretch tires going for the magazine look like ive done in the past with my S4
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Got this from a bimmer forum

"RIM WIDTH
Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.
If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. "

Taken from the Dunlap website

Either way, still looks cool for a moderately driven daily.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sooo because the rim is so wide that means you should run a tire wide enough to fit it properly according to you? to insure best traction. Ok well if the widest tire i can fit on a scion tc is a 255 and it fits perfect on a 9" wheel, then I wanna put a 10.5 wheel to give it a stretch look thats gonna change my traction and performance of the same size tire? Life is full of risk just because its not a common problem as it made be for a tire that fits a wheel properly doesn't mean its still not safe. I see a lot more blow outs because of age of a tire, condition, wear, pot holes ect...If you wanna drive your scion tc hard then maybe you should be looking into a car that's designed for how you drive and stick to properly fitting tires, while im slamming my cars on stretch tires going for the magazine look like ive done in the past with my S4
And what happened to your S4? That magazine look?

ok let me break it down

Negative effects:
1. Rims left totally exposed to curb rash (there goes your mag look)
2. Tires distorted due to being fitted on a rim larger then the tire size and requiring much higher inflation pressures to prevent excessive wear on the edges of the tread surface.
3. Rough choppy ride due to higher inflation requirements
4. Possibility of actually having the tire coming off the bead if impacted
5. Higher wear rate on suspension components
6. Higher wear rate on wheel bearings
7. Poor directional stability due to wrong offset being used

And I never said I wanted to drive my tC hard. Even if I did, the tC is well qualified to handle whatever I throw at it. Strong chassis, double wishbone suspension, decent center balance, and etc. If you even kept up with the heavy hitters, you would understand the potential the tC holds.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RCZDesigns
Got this from a bimmer forum

"RIM WIDTH
Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.
If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. "

Taken from the Dunlap website

Either way, still looks cool for a moderately driven daily.
side wall flex is easily fixed by more air pressure. Only reason it can cause any heat build up is if you're running excessive camber already on top of stretching your tires beyond the point of being safe and or not enough air pressure. Same thing happens if you don't run enough pressure with alot of camber. Same exact effects
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FallonBMPTC....

YOU ARE MY HERO!!! err...Heroine?

your setup is full of Win! It makes me self conscious to even want to think about showing my setup. I would love to run that aggressive, and those who know me know I'm not lying, its just not practical for my weekly 300+ mile commute. but damn....mad mad mad props!

The fact that someone had the ***** to run that aggressive, and to top it off have it be a girl...damn, I'm not mad at all! Handle your shat! I can't wait to see more pics!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 AM
SL Member

And what happened to your S4? That magazine look?

damn super ___ s4 I ALSO have to, you guys get real personal when it comes to girls having nice cars and knowing about them as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't mind the haters, it is what it is, sometimes you just gotta be the bigger person and let them make d' bags out of themselves.

On a lighter note, what I want to know is why did you downgrade from an S4 to a tC?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its weird how your not driving your own car..hehe any who whether your a guy or girl, doesnt matter to me. You rather trade your s4 for a tC then we straight.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sky-on
Don't mind the haters, it is what it is, sometimes you just gotta be the bigger person and let them make d' bags out of themselves.

On a lighter note, what I want to know is why did you downgrade from an S4 to a tC?
hmm it would be funny if this person turned out to be a guy tricking us all..then i guess we can say you were flirting with a man... oh dont mind me lol its late and im a little skeptical cause i never met a girl with so much commitment to stretchy tires.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
SL Member

hmm it would be funny if this person turned out to be a guy tricking us all..then i guess we can say you were flirting with a man... oh dont mind me lol its late and im a little skeptical cause i never met a girl with so much commitment to stretchy tires.
First off, Who said I down graded? I still have the s4 and my bf has a white one. Not everyone has only 1 car. My bf drives a 95 jetta daily most of the time. Ask the local PNW's they've met me.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, Who said I down graded? I still have the s4 and my bf has a white one. Not everyone has only 1 car. My bf drives a 95 jetta daily most of the time. Ask the local PNW's they've met me.
this makes no sense..your man has a white S4? You have a blue one? Yet his car isnt in the picture of the cruise..but your car is, however your not driving it? Call me crazy but it seems like your man owns the blue S4 and you just own a 2006 tC.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 AM
SL Member

this makes no sense..your man has a white S4? You have a blue one? Yet his car isnt in the picture of the cruise..but your car is, however your not driving it? Call me crazy but it seems like your man owns the blue S4 and you just own a 2006 tC.
Really I don't even know why im wasting my time explaining myself to you, but for one thing his car was torn apart the month of the cruise so we were in my car. Whats so hard to belive? my tc cost more then my s4 did when I bought it, its not like we are driving R8's.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, this is getting ridic.

Domo, if you've got nothing good to contribute, then please, just stfu or gtfo.

Fallon, like its already been said, much respect for running such a sick setup

/rant
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really I don't even know why im wasting my time explaining myself to you, but for one thing his car was torn apart the month of the cruise so we were in my car. Whats so hard to belive? my tc cost more then my s4 did when I bought it, its not like we are driving R8's.
umm its hard to believe because you didnt explain everything in the first place. You just gave us two pictures. I could say I own a Ferrari and post up a picture of a Ferrari, doesn't necessarily prove I own one. In your case, you posted up a picture of a ride that you were not driving, so what do you think my first impression would be? Any ways whether the car is yours or not, I dont really care. I was just up for some healthy debate. You wanna go stretchy tires, go ahead be my guest. Post some more pictures while your at it because thats what this threads initial purpose is. Im pretty sure I will get some heat in the morning after the guys wake up and read our little debate..hmm people on this site which is mostly male, they will always defend the lady before anything else. Kinda sad.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:29 AM
SL Member

Domo, if you've got nothing good to contribute, then please, just be quiet or gtfo.

/rant
Thank you, most of it is my bf carrying over his love for euro's. Both of his cousin's have really nice Tc's that he dose a lot work for them so he knows his way around these cars a little bit. stretching tires is most of a style then anything. You either like it or you don't be none the less who wants there rims sucked way in the fender?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Domo, if you've got nothing good to contribute, then please, just be quiet or gtfo.

/rant
yea yea, i hear you the mods will probably clean up the convo so dont get your panties in a bunch.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
SL Member

Here his license plate lol
Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here his license plate lol
mmm he has good taste

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Req: Aggressive wheel stance pics