Notices

Taking rear hub off

Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Default Taking rear hub off

Hey guys. Trying to change the rear wheel hubs on my gf's car. Piece of cake until I try to pull the hub off. I'm using a slide hammer I rented from AZ and nothing. Tried hitting it from the back with a hammer, drenched it in pb blaster, put the wheel back on and tried to pull; nothing. I read most threads on here; everyone says to keep trying but still nothing. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't n heat it b/c of all the pb blaster all over. Is it hard to take the e-brake assembly off and maybe try to pry it? Thank u in advance for any suggestions.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

keep trying, its just rust
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

once sprayed on, pb blaster won't catch fire. At least it didn't for me. I am not responsible if your car catches fire or is damaged.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Thx for the suggestion guys. Unfortunately, even after applying mapp heat it still won't budge. Any specific spots to apply the heat. I went from the back of the hub, the screw holes and whatever I could from the front between the ebrake. I've done a couple hubs before but this one takes the cake. I refuse to give up but this ____s driving me crazy. Is it hard to take the ebrake mechanism off?
The AZ slide hammer adapter can only fit on one lug. Should I look for one with two or more for more resistance? Thx
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Find a long lug or lug and socket and smake it off with a sledge hammer
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 PM

Default easy removal of rear hubs

[QUOTE=doublem94;4091354]Hey guys. Trying to change the rear wheel hubs on my gf's car. Piece of cake until I try to pull the hub off. I'm using a slide hammer I rented from AZ and nothing. Tried hitting it from the back with a hammer, drenched it in pb blaster, put the wheel back on and tried to pull; nothing. I read most threads on here; everyone says to keep trying but still nothing. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't n heat it b/c of all the pb blaster all over. Is it hard to take the e-brake assembly off and maybe try to pry it? Thank u in advance for any suggestions.[/Q

pierce the ABS back cover with a screwdriver and pry it off,there is a hole on the rear control arm it takes some force but once removed take a punch from behind and the wheel bearing will come right off,make sure you remove the 4 12mm bolts,the ABS has a snap ring inside that you need to break from prying and POW your hub will be laying on the groung
Old 07-24-2016, 09:39 PM

you DO NOT have to take the E brakes apart either
Old 07-24-2016, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by doublem94
Thx for the suggestion guys. Unfortunately, even after applying mapp heat it still won't budge. Any specific spots to apply the heat. I went from the back of the hub, the screw holes and whatever I could from the front between the ebrake. I've done a couple hubs before but this one takes the cake. I refuse to give up but this ____s driving me crazy. Is it hard to take the ebrake mechanism off?
The AZ slide hammer adapter can only fit on one lug. Should I look for one with two or more for more resistance? Thx
peirce the black ABS cover with a screwdriver an pry it off there is a snap ring inside ABS cover once you break that take a punch and hit center of ABS rind and POW your hub will be laying on the ground...
Old 07-24-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by keithmass
peirce the black ABS cover with a screwdriver an pry it off there is a snap ring inside ABS cover once you break that take a punch and hit center of ABS rind and POW your hub will be laying on the ground...
no heat is required at alltrust me it is so simple once you know this trick
Old 07-27-2016, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

[QUOTE=keithmass;4177166]
Originally Posted by doublem94
Hey guys. Trying to change the rear wheel hubs on my gf's car. Piece of cake until I try to pull the hub off. I'm using a slide hammer I rented from AZ and nothing. Tried hitting it from the back with a hammer, drenched it in pb blaster, put the wheel back on and tried to pull; nothing. I read most threads on here; everyone says to keep trying but still nothing. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't n heat it b/c of all the pb blaster all over. Is it hard to take the e-brake assembly off and maybe try to pry it? Thank u in advance for any suggestions.[/Q

pierce the ABS back cover with a screwdriver and pry it off,there is a hole on the rear control arm it takes some force but once removed take a punch from behind and the wheel bearing will come right off,make sure you remove the 4 12mm bolts,the ABS has a snap ring inside that you need to break from prying and POW your hub will be laying on the groung

you do know this post is from 2013...He might of sold the car already lol
Old 04-06-2017, 06:09 PM

here is a video about it