10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probably removed the LED...lulz
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just bought 4 factory tc wheels from an 05 tc, will the sensors in my 08 tc wheels fit in the 05's?? they are the same exact rim only mine have the sensors and the o5 has just a black rubber valve stem
Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bbrian12
i just bought 4 factory tc wheels from an 05 tc, will the sensors in my 08 tc wheels fit in the 05's?? they are the same exact rim only mine have the sensors and the o5 has just a black rubber valve stem
The hole is the same weither you have the TPS in the wheels or rubber valve stems its the mounting surface on the inside of the rim that may be the issue. To be honest I have not seen the inside of one of my wheels in a very long time so I cannot say that the sensor will sit flush inside the wheel.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the sensors fit perfect in the 05 rim
and the tire shop just reset the sensors
so it worked perfect
Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dear Sgtfluffy16,

My TPS light will not turn off.
I demand you call/text me as soon as you get this and hurry your ___ over here to fix it.
I will probably text you tomorrow.

Cool.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM

I have a 2005 tC & back in Feburary, I had a flat tire, but of course the light didn't come on and now stays on after I had the tire replaced. I've always reset the light (like in your directions) when I re-do my tire pressure. The people at the tire place say that I "crushed" my sensor when the tire was flat. I really do not want to have to deal with the local toyota dealer, so any ideas on what to do otherwise are appreciated!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by al1ys0n
I have a 2005 tC & back in Feburary, I had a flat tire, but of course the light didn't come on and now stays on after I had the tire replaced. I've always reset the light (like in your directions) when I re-do my tire pressure. The people at the tire place say that I "crushed" my sensor when the tire was flat. I really do not want to have to deal with the local toyota dealer, so any ideas on what to do otherwise are appreciated!

i didnt think they started putting the tire sensors in till 07 or 08??

you could allways put a peice of black electrical tape over the sensor light
or take the dashboard apart and take the light bulb out

Tire sensors are total b.s.
just one more thing the auto industry can charge you for
if your tire is flat your gonna know
Old 10-23-2010, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default MdMiketc

I was wondering about your findings and also what year is your car?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright guys i need some insight to a problem i have just discovered.

i have my tpms in my new rims for like a week now and everything has been just peachy. no problems no nada.

i drove from like 9am till 11pm yesterday everything running smooth.

i got up at 1pm today to move my car and noticed my tpms light was on so I pushed the button in the glove box to reset it. problem is it doesnt reset or blink like it's suppose to. the light just stays on.

i checked my wheels for the right tire pressure, checked if i hit a nail anywhere and nothing is wrong.

what could be causing the light to stay on?

mind you Ive driven with it on for about 3000 miles with out sensors so its not like it bugs me, Id just like an explanition as to why now when Im running them?

Last edited by scion_jon; 10-24-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang it, I thought you were in the clear with those on your Raderwerks. I was already looking into the Kyowa look a likes. Keep us posted Jon. I'm still swinging on your wheels' webbos. (I don't know if I spelled that right)
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe try disconnecting the car battery and it will reset the entire computer or maybe the battery died in one of the sensors?

Originally Posted by scion_jon

i have my tpms in my new rims for like a week now and everything has been just peachy. no problems no nada.

i got up at 1pm today to move my car and noticed my tpms light was on so I pushed the button in the glove box to reset it. problem is it doesnt reset or blink like it's suppose to. the light just stays on.

i checked my wheels for the right tire pressure, checked if i hit a nail anywhere and nothing is wrong.

mind you Ive driven with it on for about 3000 miles with out sensors so its not like it bugs me, Id just like an explanition as to why now when Im running them?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can I just NOT use the TPMS. I check my pressure once a week anyways, and I don't mind seeing the light. This is a pain in the ___ and from past experience they go off when they shouldn't anyways...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the sensors fit perfect in the 05 rim
and the tire shop just reset the sensors
so it worked perfect

Glad to hear this.. Thanks for that Info.

Originally Posted by chrischoi
Dear Sgtfluffy16,

My TPS light will not turn off.
I demand you call/text me as soon as you get this and hurry your ___ over here to fix it.
I will probably text you tomorrow.

Cool.
Choi did you figure it out?? Im sure you did by now. Somehow my notifications were all turned off so I was not seeing anything under any of my posts

Originally Posted by al1ys0n
Yes if the sensor is broken or if the battery died the light will continue to be on at all times. Don't forget to check your spare for tire pressure also. The tire also has a sensor in it. What year is your vehicle?

What year scion do you have? and I can figure it out more then likely

Originally Posted by EthanAJS
Can I just NOT use the TPMS. I check my pressure once a week anyways, and I don't mind seeing the light. This is a pain in the ___ and from past experience they go off when they shouldn't anyways...
If it were only that easy young grasshopper!. No new mandatory stated law in 2008 for all auto manufactors to have them in automobiles. What year vehicle are we talking about first?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

A few updates for this thread, some of which is fairly well-known:

First off, the '05 and '06 TPMS will NOT notify you immediately if you have a flat tire. It uses the wheel-speed sensors (a.k.a: ABS sensors) to calculate the average speed of each tire over a certain length of time, and compare that figure to the others. That means that you can blow out a tire and the light wont come on right away. It also means that if you replace just one tire, or have different sized tires on the vehicle, it will probably trigger the warning light.

Now that TPMS systems have been out for a while, the vehicle does not have to go to the dealership to have the TPMS system reset. I work at Tires Plus/Firestone/Wheelworks/etc... (all the same company), and we have a tool that was designed and built by Snap-On specifically for our company that reads/resets/reprograms TPMS systems. I'd imagine that some other shops have something similar available as well. Some of the newer TPMS's, particularly those on more expensive vehicles, use sensors that are programmed for their location. Rather than a simple TPMS light coming on, the vehicle will actually tell you which tire is low. If you get tires rotated, or new tires installed, make sure the shop knows about them, and that they reprogram the locations for the sensors. Resetting/reprogramming shouldn't take more than about 2 minutes on most systems, and most shops don't charge for this service if you're using OEM sensors.

TPMS sensors read air temperature as well as air pressure, so that the TPMS computer can accurately determine when to turn the light on. This is necessary because tires heat up significantly as you drive, and the system has to accommadate that. That being said, It's not unusual for a TPMS warning light to come on as the weather changes temperature in the spring and fall. This usually just means that you need to increase or reduce your tire pressure accordingly.

Most of the big chain's that do tire work have come up with a standard of installing a new valve-stem and TPMS service kit (rubber gasket, metal washer, ferule nut) EVERY TIME a tire is removed from a wheel on a vehicle equipped with TPMS. This policy is also supported by the Motorist Assurance Program (MAP) guidelines. If you have TPMS, you should expect to pay a few extra dollars for this any time a shop is removing a tire. The shops decided to start doing this primarily because they were spending too much money on replacing broken TPMS sensors. For example, I was told that the shop I work at spent about $30,000 on TPMS sensors the year before this policy went in to effect. Yes, it costs you a little more money, but $2 for a service kit is a lot cheaper than $50-$200 or more for each new sensor. MAP supports this because it saves the customer money in the long run. Sensors get broken in the process of removing the tire quite often if you don't disconnect the sensor from the wheel. And if you don't service the sensor, the ferule nut will probably seize, and it will most likely break the sensor when you try to remove it. You have the option of telling the shop not to remove or service the sensor. Their response will most likely be either:
-You have to sign a disclaimer releasing them from responsibility if the sensor gets broken.
or
-They wont do the work without it.

Aint technology great? ABS is mandated because most people don't know how to drive. TPMS is mandated because most people are too lazy to check their tires. Traction control is mandated because (again) most people don't know how to drive. Seatbelts have been mandated for decades, and yet all new vehicles sold in the US still have to pass crash tests for un-belted occupants, which, by the way, is the primary reason that so many foreign cars are never sold in America, and why cars that are sold in America are generally much larger and heavier (which hurts performance and fuel economy). And all of this stuff adds up to more cost and complexity for the consumer. /sigh

~Laken
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

More good info! Yes since then Snap on has released the tool to do Toyota TPMS's But also you must remember not all of the TMPS are the same manufacturer to manufacturer. Ford's have a screw in the sensor to the valve stem along with a band ring style around the wheel. Jeep/Dodge has their own style as a screw from the sensor to a rubber valve stem. Chevy also has this style too
Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

Yes. The Snap-On tool can access all of them, as far as I know. I haven't seen one yet that it didn't work with.

There is no service kit for the band-style TPMS, but the rest of them do require it. The band-style sensor is not connected to the valve stem, and can't be removed without taking the tire off first, so they are easy to break on accident. The sensor is usually mounted directly opposite from the stem, so be especially careful in that area. There is no way to tell if this is installed on a wheel just by looking at it with a tire mounted.

The other American style sensor is the VS style. The valve stem can be removed from the sensor, but not until after the tire is off - the screw that holds the pieces together is on the bottom of the stem. These sensors are somewhat fragile, as TPMS sensors go, but they're some of the cheapest too. I've seen these break just from the bead of the tire hittig it while mounting a tire on a wheel. There's not really much you can do about it, except be very careful with them. You can tell if a VS style sensor is on your car by the unique shape of the valve stem. A normal stem is fairly soft and flexible, and is cut at 90 degree angles around the base of the threads. The VS style has an angled shoulder that the oversize cap will cover, and it's much stiffer than normal.

There's no logical reason that you should ever see any of these systems on a Scion, and I hope it stays that way.

~Laken
Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

How long did you hold the button down? I think it has to be held for about 5 seconds.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You hold the button for about 7 seconds might take up to 10 seconds though to reset it
Old 11-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Default where to buy

I would like to run two sets of wheels winter/ summer set ups. where can I buy the direct sensors I have a 08 xb ?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Toyota, there may be other aftermarket companies out there that make them work on Toyota's but I'm honestly not sure. You will also have to have all of your numbers from your sensors (all 8 of them) as well. As you change wheels and tires the sensors will have to be reprogramed to the vehicle EVERYTIME you do the swap.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors/Monitor Everything Mods sticky please