Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Buyers Guide: tC2 Aerodynamics

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman
well the non-carbon fiber body parts already come in prepped and primed and ready for paint right?
the hardest ones to paint would be the carbon fiber parts. i don't even know how you would prep those. but once that's over the painting and clear coat should be simple.

I know a lot of people on here with body kits had it done at a shop, so i was just wondering if you could save any money by trying it out yourself? or will it all cost pretty much the same in the end?

I had an extreme dimensions "Duraflex" kit on my previous car. They hardly come ready for paint. Scratches, dips and flat spots were all over the pieces. Unfortunately, they're mass produced so they still need about as much prep work as any other part.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

shame. i've read the advertisements of some of the body kits and many say that they come primed and ready. faulty advertising then
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

not necessarily.

they are "primed and ready to paint" but it doesn't mean its prepped perfectly. if you want it done right AND last long, you should go the extra step and have it prepped.

also, you can "rattle can/clear coat" a paint job...but the quality will be bad and wont last. if anything hits it, it will probably crack (the paint on the part). shops MUST have a spray room to spray it in, this spray room keeps the parts free of dust/dirt that may be flying around AND it keeps the chemicals from the spray out of the environment..yes, paint is a safe/legal issue as well...at least in CA, u need to have a (expensive) permit to have such a paint room.

I've touch up spots here and there with sanding and air brushing with touch-up paint. and that's fine. but big projects...no way. My touch-ups were probably smaller than a quarter in size, maybe even a nickle. I've tried to touch up a line about 6 in wide, it looked good for a week maybe and then it ended up splitting again and it wasn't even as glossy as the original paint.

if u want it to look good and you don't have the experience...leave it to the pros. you may think shortcuts/DIY may save u a few bucks, but after having to do it over and over again to fix it, u end up spending more.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see, so after all it is best to let a shop do it.