Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

DIY License Plate Relocation - $1.50

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY License Plate Relocation - $1.50

This is for all of you that have to have a front license plate, but don't like it on the bumper. I just took the stock (plastic) license plate bracket and moved it. In order to bolt it to the new location I went to my local Home Depot and bought a few nuts & bolts, totaling only $1.50. It took me maybe 30minutes to 1 hour, but that is mainly because I was figuring it out as I go and I didn't have all the right tools at the time.

Sorry for the cellphone pictures, it's the only thing I had at the time

Materials
(2) 5/16 2 inch bolts
(2) 5/16 nuts
(1) Some metal squared-U shape thing
*The bolt size of the license plate is actually 1/4, but I wanted it to be stronger with a bigger bolt

Steps:
Before:

1. Remove the license plate AND plastic bracket

2.Cut the squared-U shaped metal thing in half

3. Drill holes to fit the bolt, you can choose to drill in the middle, but since I didn't have all of my right tools I just used the exisiting holes and made them bigger
*Safety! Wear goggles/glasses to prevent metal shards from going in your eye
*Safety! I used a vice-grip to hold the piece while I drilled the hole

4. Since I went with a 5/16 bolt, I needed to make the holes of the plastic license plate bracket bigger

5. Time to install! I placed the cut metal bracket into the stock grill as in the photo

6. The best way to hold it and the nut in place is to unbolt the bottom plastic of the car
*While this is a pain, it made the install much easier. Also I only unbolted what I needed to open up the side I was working on

7. With the stock plastic license plate bracket installed, once the access is clear, get the stock plastic bracket, turn it upside down and put the bolt through it

and here is it with the license plate

Obviously, since its bolts on the bottom, you wont be able to put a license plate frame on it if it only has holes on the top

now i just need to patch the stupid holes!

diagram of how it holds...

Last edited by KidJustin; 01-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To me it looked better before, but then again many people relocate their front plates away from the center. It doesn't look bad, but I just don't understand the trend of people relocating front plates.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two reasons I see:

1. Avoid putting holes in the bumper
2. To be different

I picked up some machined brackets for both of those reasons.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great walk thru!

@scionosis this trend started on cars with front mount Intercoolers as some plates block air flow to the Intercooler. Then some NA cars used the excuse that it offered more flow to the radiator (even if they did nothing to actually have the motor or oil ever overheat, like i said it was an excuse lol) This then progressed into a fad, however on the new tC it is counter productive as on our cars we only have a small section for radiator flow which this now blocks. I won't personally do it however I give him credit for the write up and as far as looks go to each his own. Although this would be much more effective if it was covering one of the tow holes. It would still be off to the side yet still allow proper radiator flow. I would probably do this if it mounted in to the tow hook area as I do want to turbo my car and will have a front mount on my car.

Maybe make another that goes in to that tow hole?

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-03-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mighty- there are alternatives to mounting front plates in the center without drilling into the bumper, like how I mounted mine using a bracket on my lower grill.

papabear - You're right. That one flew overhead on my part.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Papa Bear: I could see how blocking an intercooler might cause overheating problems (I really don't know much about turbos), but I can't see any NA engine overheating from putting a license plate over the grille.

Scionosis: You're right there are alternatives, but KidJustin's fix could be centered too. Really, I like the write-up and the ingenuity. The more mods people come up with for the tC2, the better, whether we would do them ourselves or not.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like this because in Missouri I need a front plate but I will absolutely NOT drill holes in my bumper..... Although right now I don't have a front plate at all, I might consider this mod in the future if it becomes an issue with the po po.

Props for the OP!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

(looks up to say a silent prayer)*

Thank you Georgia, for not making front plants a mandate...
Old 02-24-2011, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
Papa Bear: I could see how blocking an intercooler might cause overheating problems (I really don't know much about turbos), but I can't see any NA engine overheating from putting a license plate over the grille.

Scionosis: You're right there are alternatives, but KidJustin's fix could be centered too. Really, I like the write-up and the ingenuity. The more mods people come up with for the tC2, the better, whether we would do them ourselves or not.

Just my $0.02
That's why I made the comment that it was an excuse lol it does not provide any more help as the radiator does fine with the plate in the stock location. And it's not so much overheating on a turbo car as it is just keeping a cooler more dense charge going to the motor. But yeah it does not hurt your radiator performance at all lol. Just kids in hondas trying to fit in when the say it lol
Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Papa_Bear
That's why I made the comment that it was an excuse lol it does not provide any more help as the radiator does fine with the plate in the stock location. And it's not so much overheating on a turbo car as it is just keeping a cooler more dense charge going to the motor. But yeah it does not hurt your radiator performance at all lol. Just kids in hondas trying to fit in when the say it lol
Old 02-25-2011, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Des...l&ModelDesc=tC

^^^Goes into the factory tow hook location. I helped make this piece possible for the tC2 community.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice wellesly! Glad you gave us that contribution
Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much of a hassle would it be to request a car to not have the holes predrilled? most cars that reach a dealership in states that require front plates predrill them the moment they arrive. since pure pricing is pure pricing, i assume it shouldnt be any different asking for a new car being sent over without the drilled holes instead of settling for the ones that are already on the lot. Of course, i assume that will take several weeks to about a month.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^ Depends on dealer. My dealership doesnt predrill in the even a customer has a green plate, which in MA is only required on the rear of the vehicle (The RMV didnt even issue a second plate to put on the front until about 10 years ago when they switched to red plates, so there are still single plates floating around.)
Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont mind doing this kind of set-up, nice job man.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XerotC
how much of a hassle would it be to request a car to not have the holes predrilled? most cars that reach a dealership in states that require front plates predrill them the moment they arrive. since pure pricing is pure pricing, i assume it shouldnt be any different asking for a new car being sent over without the drilled holes instead of settling for the ones that are already on the lot. Of course, i assume that will take several weeks to about a month.
I read somewhere that in states (or maybe only CA) that required the front license plate, that the dealership is suppose to do that to any car they sell
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCIONOSIS
Mighty- there are alternatives to mounting front plates in the center without drilling into the bumper, like how I mounted mine using a bracket on my lower grill.

papabear - You're right. That one flew overhead on my part.
Justin- Great write up.

As stated by others, there are many alternatives, and I mounted mine similar to SCIONOSIS. I spent a little more for convenience and fitment, and bought L-brackets. I put the frontend on blocks, drilled 2 holes under the diffuser (?), and bolted it up so that there'd be no contact with the plate and the bumper.

I bought my tC1 new, FOB from Longbeach CA (Californiastan) with no bumper holes. In Cali, dealers are required to drill unless the customer signs a waiver, but I never did.

Xero- If you order the car new, you should be able to tell 'em "no drilling into the bumper"
Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good idea! A good cost effective alternative.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Des...l&ModelDesc=tC

^^^Goes into the factory tow hook location. I helped make this piece possible for the tC2 community.
this looks like a great item, but 70 bucks seems pretty expensive. is there a middle ground between this one and the DIY kidjustin posted? i dont want to put it on the grill for the sake of airflow. i'm looking for something around 40 or less.

i'm worried that putting such an expensive tow hook mount might attract thieves. couldn't anyone just walk over unscrew it and go? and if that happened i would be out 70 bucks!

Last edited by XerotC; 03-16-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was $35 shipped, but still mounts to the grille. The way I have mine mounted, if you attached the plate by the bottom rather than the top, it looks almost exactly like the tow hook mount.

Here's the thread for the mounts.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...96#post3613196

Quick Reply: DIY License Plate Relocation - $1.50