Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Who has Tinted Windows?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Who has Tinted Windows?

For those of you who have tinted their windows aftermarket I have the following questions:

1. What type did you go with? (basic dye-based, metallic, ceramic, etc.)
2. How dark is your back window, and do you find it too dark at night when backing up?
3. For those with metallic, do you find it is decreasing FM, cell and GPS signal?
4. Are you happy with who installed it? (did they handcut or use a computer for sizing?)
5. Any issues with installing tint over factory striping on rear hatch window? (i.e. bubbling?)

I'm looking to get this done, and done right the first time, so I appreciate your help!

Last edited by Magnetic_Grey; 03-28-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added question #5.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll probably get it done once I leave California and actually have to be concerned about the heat inside the car (it rarely gets above 70 degrees here).

I'd like to add a question: Any issues with the "stripes" at the top of the rear window or the "dots" at the top of the windshield? I've heard in the past of window tinters who refused to do those because they cause air bubbles and will lead to the cling of the film prematurely failing.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Great question...I'll add that to the initial post
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Local dealer here contracts window tint to a local installer who uses Johnson. I believe it's the Silhouette Film.
1. Per the Johnson website, it has aluminum in the film
2. 15% all around, and it's only an issue when the only light is from my reverse lights.
3. No noticeable reception issues
4. Yep. Installer hand cut the film. Did a great job. There is one very small spot where you can see it wasn't computer cut, but the passenger window has to be partway down and you have to really look for it.

@Occam: I have a 6" (it really is, I swear) strip at the top of my windshield. I could see where there is more potential for bubbles down the road, but installer said it actually worked in his favor. According to him, Johnson will pay him full install price to reinstall the strip if there are ever bubbles. Maybe he's lying, maybe he's cheating the system, maybe it's true.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got %20 all around...at first it was hard to see at night and when backing up...but ive gotten use to it...if i cant see i roll down the window..but i feel i have more privacy...mine was hand cut and sizied for a perfect fit....i didnt choose just any shop...the shop i went to i was really good friends with one of there workers...at first youll have some bubbles but if it was done right ill go away within a week of drying...i see cars all the time with very bad installs....
Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out 3M film. It's non-metallic and comes with a national lifetime warranty against fading, bubbling, and peeling. It's a true black hue so it does appear a bit richer vs charcoal; have 20% all around except the front it meters at 13% due to the true black hue. Backing up at night can become a bit challenging which then I roll my windows down for more visibility.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

concerning your first question, arnt they all film unless you get factory installed tint?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by XerotC
concerning your first question, arnt they all film unless you get factory installed tint?
Well yes.

But what I meant was, just plain dyed film (basic), or something better like metallic or ceramic-based.

I will edit to clarify.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
i got %20 all around...at first it was hard to see at night and when backing up...but ive gotten use to it...if i cant see i roll down the window..but i feel i have more privacy...mine was hand cut and sizied for a perfect fit....i didnt choose just any shop...the shop i went to i was really good friends with one of there workers...at first youll have some bubbles but if it was done right ill go away within a week of drying...i see cars all the time with very bad installs....
Yeah I want to make sure I can find a place that will install a good product, and do a very good installation.

I also want to make sure i'll be able to see when I'm backing up at night, if I were to go with 20% in the back. But I forgot about the option of rolling down windows and using my side mirrors if I'm in a tight spot.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. What type did you go with? (basic dye-based, metallic, ceramic, etc.)

i'm thinking of going with 3M Color Stable.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/

2. How dark is your back window, and do you find it too dark at night when backing up?

I'm thinkin of going 25 -35 for back windshield. thats should be how dark stock SUV factory tints usually go for.i dont know about going as dark as 15% or lower, seems dark but i never had exp with it
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're only concerned with reducing heat inside your car, go about 30%. Car looks nice, you don't really lose any nighttime visibility, it's just as effective at reducing heat as lower tints, and it's legal in most states (except the People's Republic of California).

If you're trying to keep people from seeing in, go about 15%. You can still see out at night and in most light, people can't see in.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
If you're only concerned with reducing heat inside your car, go about 30%. Car looks nice, you don't really lose any nighttime visibility, it's just as effective at reducing heat as lower tints, and it's legal in most states (except the People's Republic of California).

If you're trying to keep people from seeing in, go about 15%. You can still see out at night and in most light, people can't see in.
<insert 'I see what you did there' pic>
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Heat is not my primary concern, I welcome it for the most part after the long canadian winters.

It would be primarily for privacy and looks.

I'm think 35% driver/passenger, 20% back three windows. But I want to make sure I tread the fine line between being able to see out of the back at night, and having it look dark enough from the outside.

Aside from that, it's really down to finding the best place to install with the best product.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Magnetic_Grey
Heat is not my primary concern, I welcome it for the most part after the long canadian winters.

It would be primarily for privacy and looks.

I'm think 35% driver/passenger, 20% back three windows. But I want to make sure I tread the fine line between being able to see out of the back at night, and having it look dark enough from the outside.

Aside from that, it's really down to finding the best place to install with the best product.
i might have missed it, but where do you live?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Kingston, Ontario
Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

can someone post pictures of their rear tint? over the factory stripes?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll post mine tomorrow... mmmm my tint is 5%(limo tint) at the back window and rear. 50% on front windows. and 5% visor...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM

This is factory tint. It's from Florida I believe. Looks like it's 20%?

Last edited by iMissLayups; 03-30-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the defroster stripes have any problems with tint? i would think theheat would cause bubbles.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by XerotC
does the defroster stripes have any problems with tint? i would think theheat would cause bubbles.
I haven't had to use the defroster yet because I park in the garage, but it shouldn't bubble up as long as the tint has been applied for at least a week or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has Tinted Windows?