Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

The COMPREHENSIVE Thread on NST Scion tC II Pulleys

Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PEwilly9
^^^sheesh these among other parts have been and will continue to be in debate......warranty void....probably if your ____ blow ans this is installed....if not, prolly not....who the **** knows! lol
Lol, I don't think I will be blowing it anytime soon. Just wondered if anyone experienced some warranty hassles. I guess this pulley is a fairly new mod for the 2nd gens so it may not have even been tested warranty wise.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM

got the pulley installed at a mechanics yesterday, today i seem to be leaking some oil or something, does this have to do wit the crank pulley?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speralta2dr
got the pulley installed at a mechanics yesterday, today i seem to be leaking some oil or something, does this have to do wit the crank pulley?
Hey bud, sorry again to hear about your issue.

I spoke with you a couple times on the phone today, but wanted to address this here as well.
I would not want anyone to read this and possibly freak out.

IF your pulley is installed correctly and installed by a technician that has experience with TOYOTA/SCION cars, then there will be no issue. A properly installed crank pulley will never lead to leaks of any sort.

If you take a look at the center of the pulley you will see what we call a KEYWAY...

THIS keyway must be lined up properly. Otherwise the KEY could be damaged and this could lead to a leak. There is also a seal on the backside where the pulley mounts to the crank. If this seal is damaged during installation, you may experience a leak.

As I suggested on the phone, I would suggest taking your car to a trained TOYOTA/SCION mechanic at a shop that has experience with these pulleys.

A properly installed crank pulley will NOT leak, wobble, etc.

Thanks again, best of luck with all your projects!

MIKE @ NST
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sym_Link
Does installing a NST pulley have an effect on warranty?
Good question. And the answer really depends on your relationship with your dealer. We have seen a lot of dealerships service cars of ours, our customers, and friends who owned aftermarket parts including NST pulleys. We have also heard of certain dealerships that will try to void warranties for the smallest of modifications. So in a nutshell... it really depends on your dealership.

Technically speaking, the NST pulley DOES NOT change your air fuel ratio, does not change the way your ECU controls your car, it does not change your car's breathing (intake/exhaust) characteristics. There should be no reason why any of your warranty should be void as a result of this type of modification.

Finally, there is something called "the magnuson-moss warranty act" that basically states: A dealership can not void your warranty due to the use of any specific part UNLESS they can prove specifically that the part in question led to a particular failure. For example: You installed custom gears in your transmission, your trans failed, custom gears were the undisputed cause for the failure. Your transmission warranty is void.

For the record... we have never heard of any of our customer cars having warranty problems being blamed on NST pulleys.

MIKE @ NST
Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the reply Mike. I'll be looking forward to receiving mine in a few weeks.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member

Finally got mine ordered.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Name:  IMG-20120211-00039.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  60.1 KB
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great!

MIKE @ NST
Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ordered mine yesterday!!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Banned
SL Member

There are now a couple of owners that have posted on their build threads that they have mentioned oil leaking from around the NST pulley they have installed on their 2nd Gen tCs.

You guys running these pulleys…can you keep a close eye out on your oil “consumption”? Take a look at your oil levels and post how many miles you’ve got on your car and how the oil level is doing. And keep reporting back. All of your feedback will either bring out this “problem” or put it to bed. Since this is a new product and still under development, I think this is invaluable information that should belong in this “comprehensive” thread.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dealer I took it to to have my engine problem checked into, said the consumption wasn't an issue and went ahead and changed my seal and reinstalled my pulley. No issues with the aftermarket part. He said it would be a good idea to maybe reinstall the old pulley before I take it to my dealer to have my engine problem looked at. I believe I hit 4600 or 4700 miles yesterday.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I got 17k on mine
~400 miles with Pulley

Just checked oil level for the first time ever and it looks just fine
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We definitely encourage all our customers to post feedback with us in this thread, both short and long term feedback. This is the reason for a comprehensive thread.

We have installed a good number of these pulleys here in the Houston area and we have never seen any issues with leaking in any of the Scion cars... be it the tC, xA, xB, xD, tC II, or any of the other Toyota cars that share these same engines.

PROPER INSTALLATION IS KEY HERE. Rubber seals can be damaged/punctured if proper care is not taken... whether they are behind the crank pulley or elsewhere on the engine. In some cases, Toyota even calls for the replacement of seals when things are opened up or taken apart. As I have shared with many of our customers, we strongly recommend going to a technician or a shop that has experience with pulley installations if you are not going to do the install on your own. You don't want a random person working on this sort of installation.

Thanks again, best of luck with all your projects everyone!

MIKE @ NST
Old 02-29-2012, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

any update on the latest batch of pulleys?

Nvm it came today

Last edited by Errikos; 03-01-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: broken link
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Checked the pulley myself after first dealer said it wasnt an issue and that they retightned it. When checked I could loosen the bolt with my hand, thus that Had to be where the noise was coming from and those effers didn't even listen to me. So I tightened as much as I could and took it to MY dealer where they said yes it wasnt at torque spec and took care of it. I should have known better and torqued it myself...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just installed the bushing kit that came with the pulley SOOOOO much better when banging into gear ;) its very solid feel when you are all the way in gear cant wait till the pulley is done my mechanic wants 145$ gonna do it myself when the weather clears up will post up pics when done
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah man $145 is steep. The local shop took 2 mins assessing the install and was like yeah $84 no problem. If a shop quotes you anymore than 30-45 mins of labor, they are incompetent.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Errikos
just installed the bushing kit that came with the pulley SOOOOO much better when banging into gear ;) its very solid feel when you are all the way in gear cant wait till the pulley is done my mechanic wants 145$ gonna do it myself when the weather clears up will post up pics when done
I didn't know a bushing kit came with it. Are they shift cable bushings?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just checked my pulley and no oil leaking..had my pulley on for about 1000 miles now
Old 03-01-2012, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sym_Link
I didn't know a bushing kit came with it. Are they shift cable bushings?
sorry for the confusion i ordered these at the same time i got the pulley they are cable bushings

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNSTbushings.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The COMPREHENSIVE Thread on NST Scion tC II Pulleys