Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Descendant Exhaust initial review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by donsun
I'm thinking about getting the descendant exhaust with my next paycheck, so a couple questions:

What would be the rated difficulty of install if I were to try and do it myself?
If I were to ask a shop to do it, what should I expect as an install cost?
Would it be helpful to get an aftermarket exhaust mount kit in addition to the exhaust: http://www.torquesolution.com/Scion-.../ts-eh-200.htm ?
Are there any advantages to getting a custom exhaust done as opposed to a production exhaust? (I ask this because I am located close to PTuning which I believe is a reputable shop for Scions)

Sorry I have so many questions, but better be safe than sorry on purchases costing me several hundred dollars.

I have the descendant, and my dad and I were able to install it in just under an hour, it only took so long because we jacked my car up in our driveway and did it at night with a bunch of flashlights.

If you have access to an actual car lift that you can stand under I'd imagine it would be a breeze.

I can't really guess a shops charge but I think it's easy enough to do yourself if you have a car jack and something to put under the car to hold it up.

But I really love my descendant exhaust, it sounds amazing and I get nothing but compliments on how sporty it sounds without sounding like a ricer. Im gonna make a review of mine and do a video... As soon as I get some time though!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm thinking about getting the descendant exhaust with my next paycheck, so a couple questions:

What would be the rated difficulty of install if I were to try and do it myself?
If I were to ask a shop to do it, what should I expect as an install cost?
Would it be helpful to get an aftermarket exhaust mount kit in addition to the exhaust: http://www.torquesolution.com/Scion-.../ts-eh-200.htm ?
Are there any advantages to getting a custom exhaust done as opposed to a production exhaust? (I ask this because I am located close to PTuning which I believe is a reputable shop for Scions)

Sorry I have so many questions, but better be safe than sorry on purchases costing me several hundred dollars.
You can install this yourself if you have a jack and jack stands no problem. You only need simple hand tools such as a ratchet and several different sockets. If you really don't feel comfortable this exhaust should take no more then 30 mins to install especially with air tools at a shop. Ptuning is very reputable however they sell their production exhausts for 700+ so getting a custom exhaust from them won't be cheaper. I recommend the bushings for sure especially from torque solution. I have a set on my own car and there quality is phenomenal! Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the replies. unfortunately I don't really have any tools readily available for me to be able to do the install myself so I'll probably be looking around for price quotes. so everyone who has had to install the exhaust has done so themselves?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thanks for the replies. unfortunately I don't really have any tools readily available for me to be able to do the install myself so I'll probably be looking around for price quotes. so everyone who has had to install the exhaust has done so themselves?

WHOA, HOLD UP, if you are located near P-Tuning, do not hesitate to go over to them and ask for a quote on an exhaust. Ask for Carlos, tell him Ted sent you from Wellesley Scion/DT9 Designs. I cant say for sure if they can do it immediately (they have a few projects going on right now) but if they can, you will be very happy with the results. Plus, it will give them the opportunity to make a jig, so they can mass produce them for the rest of us. If I lived anywhere near them, I would be visiting on the regular.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I was thinking about doing that. I wouldn't exactly say I live close to PTuning since it's still a 50min~1hr drive. Maybe I'll drive out this weekend and get a price quote on an exhaust.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Donsun: Are you a part of any other forums/clubs? I'm part of the local Scikotics chapter, and the guys there are great about helping out with mods. We have a "mod day" every so often so people who don't have the necessary tools can mod/learn.

I'd still go by PTuning, but if you want to learn and don't have someone else with tools/knowledge, Scikotics might be able to help you.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just have an account on the 3 tC forums, scionlife, cstc, ystc, but I'm only active on this one. perhaps I'll look for a local scikotics chapter. on the cstc forums there seems to be a DMV club or group so maybe I'll ask them especially since there's a meet in 2 weeks.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another Descendant Exhaust Review

Here's my review of the exhaust, i've never written a review before so i tried my best,

Ordering Process
I ordered by phone, and it was extremely easy and actually enjoyable.

How it was packaged
King worthy? I’m pretty sure it was hand packaged in the box and not packed with some kind of machine, because the way it was packaged, you would have thought the box was filled with glass and marble sculptures! That’s how carefully it was packed. There was so much packaging that I’m sure that it could have fallen out of the UPS while it was driving and not even has a scratch on it. They did a really good job here.

How it looked
One word! Amazing. The welds are all nice and smooth, the muffler and tip are polished to a shine. I have no other way of describing it, it’s just amazing. It also looks MUCH nicer than the fart cannons. I get compliments all day on how nice it looks.

How it sounds
LIKE A BOSS. This is the very first exhaust I have ever bought in my life, and I wanted an exhaust that would sound sporty and loud when I wanted it to, and rumble quietly when I don’t want it to be loud. And after seeing some of the review, I picked this one. And I am so happy that I did, it sounds just like it does in the videos, but even better. You’d have to hear it in person to fully appreciate the sound. When you step on it, it roars like a beast, and when you idle it growls quietly, but loudly enough for you to know that it’s still a monster. Even my neighbors love it, and a lot of them are the kind of people who hate loud exhausts and loud music, but it’s like this exhaust pleases everyone!

Power
Oh my god, it adds so much power. I thought this car was quick before, but maaaannnn…. When I put this on, it’s so much quicker than it used to be. You can definitely feel the power gain. The one downfall is that with the power gain and the amazing sound, you’re tempted to gun it everywhere you go. And that’s a temptation I am still not able to resist. I end up gunning it off every single stop light, stop sign, EVERYTHING D:… And as a result my gas mileage kind of dropped, but that’s expected if you drive like Michael Schumacher everywhere you go. But I’m sure everyone has more self control than I do!

Customer Service
The guys are Descendant are seriously the best customer service people I have ever come across in my entire life. They are so friendly and knowledgeable. I’ve never had a customer service experience where I felt like I was talking to people who were REAL people that actually cared about what they do and seem like that want do what they are doing. Even if you call 50 times before you decide to order, they happily give you the information you want without getting annoyed. And the coolest thing about them is that they will just tell you about the parts you ask about without prodding you to buy it, I hate when I call for a simple question, and then it feels like I’m being forced into buying something. I must have called Rob and Mike like 20 times to ask questions and they never once missed a call back or tried to make me buy. I think these guys should run for president or something. They are really good at being people persons (sp). And everyone knows customer service is almost as important as the product you sell.

Summary
Sounds amazing, it doesn’t look or sound anything like those ugly fart cannons that most other people have (no offense to anyone that has one :D…). It looks and sounds much much better! It looks amazing and its packed as if it were being sent to the president. The power gains are incredible and the customer service is top notch. If you are borderline between this exhaust and another exhaust, try giving both companies a call to see which company has the best customer service and I’m sure Descendants customer service will win you over every time. Props to Rob and Mike, Descendant is seriously the way to go.

AND NOW THE PICTURES AND VIDEOS :D!!!

Name:  IMG_0360.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0364.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0365.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0366.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0367.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0368.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  90.3 KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuuUbIpl1eE
Rev'd by me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFEksfuTPG0
Rev'd by my brother, and the shakey camera is my fault

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Enzie; 03-18-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added the Review
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even though I just drove home with the beautiful sound of this exhaust ripping from the rear of my car, I still enjoyed those videos! Good job!

Looks even better shiny...oh how I miss those days...

Love this exhaust!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Metal polish from your local auto store does a really good job restoring the shine! You'd be surprised...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh I know, I'm just joking. Its a full blown blizzard right now, so there is no way it stays clean.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice, i really love the sound of that. more incentive to buy it and install it now does anyone with a descendant exhaust mind doing an in-car video?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice, i really love the sound of that. more incentive to buy it and install it now does anyone with a descendant exhaust mind doing an in-car video?
I'm leaving to go out of state early in the morning until Monday, but if nobody does one by the time i get back, I'll be happy to do one!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, just got back from PTuning. Paid $60 for an exhaust quote. Custom exhaust job for 2011 tC will cost me ~$1200 after parts and labor (labor alone is $570). The quote was for a cat-back starting after the stock cat. He also gave me the option of installing a high-flow cat instead of the stock cat which probably would've added $100. Unfortunately I don't think I have the funds to be able to put out $1200 for an exhaust alone so I'll probably just settle for the descendant exhaust since I really love the sound it makes. I did see their project 2011 black scion tC in their shop, but it looked like it was put aside for other projects but I did see an intercooler on so I'm guessing they're making a turbo kit as well. When I spoke with them, they didn't sound very sure whether or not they would be making an exhaust for the 2011 tC anywhere in the near future... Gotta wait for the paycheck and then ordering the descendant exhaust!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll be happy with it and 1200 for some piping?? That's just stupid
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. I went in expecting something like 800 tops, but once they gave me a number above 1k I knew I couldn't do it. Especially not worth it since I'm not going to turbo the car. Service fee alone can pay for a descendant exhaust.. Can't wait for my bank to refill so I can empty it again on the descendant!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok and my offer still stands
Old 03-13-2011, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey I'm in N. Carolina and have been trying to find a shop to order this exhaust, am I missing it on the descendant page?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok quick question, this is the 3" exhaust or 2.5? I keep hearing there are 2 but on their page it only shows the 3, I really want to order mine but not sure if 3" inch a good idea, help a bro out.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

there do not need to be 2 threads for this. I am combining them and making it a stickied thread.

Quick Reply: Descendant Exhaust initial review