Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine Starting Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:17 PM

Default Engine Starting Troubles

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and it's specifically due to this issue I am having.
I have a 2011 Scion tC that has about 104,000 KM on it. For some reason in the past month and a half, it has been having trouble starting. There's nothing wrong with the starter. I just bought a new battery a last weekend. Originally when I brought it to a mechanic they realized that some information from the ECU has been wiped. I took it to Toyota so they could reset the mobilizer, which was completed over the weekend. The Alternator is fine as per the inspection. Another symptom is that the car only has trouble starting after a long period of time in which the car has not been used. When I say a long period of time, I usually mean 10-12 hours or more.

Could anyone suggest anything I haven't pursued yet?
I've been calling random mechanics asking questions and something I've heard is that maybe the Coolant temperature sensor is not working correctly, however, I am not getting any check engine lights of any sort. If I am not mistaken, if it was an issue with the coolant, I would see a check engine light.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

JT
Old 07-05-2016, 12:39 AM

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try buying a cheap odb sensor reader and seeing if the coolant temp sensor readout makes sense, it should get over 180F when fully hot, also how does it run once its started? does it idle fine?