Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Overreved and lost all my torque

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 AM
SL Member

Angry Overreved and lost all my torque

I was in 4th gear and trying to get to 5th I slipped it into 3rd gear by mistake. Overreved past the limiter for a split second.

Now, I lost most of my torque. I mean, the torque curve is linear now. There is no more torque at 4k than at 2k. And 0-100kph is done in 12s instead of ~8s. The exhaust sounds different too. It's like a very faint Subaru Boxer-ish low rumble when giving it gas. I don't know if I explain it correctly.

There ain't no check engine light. I drove ~50km back home after the incident and nothing bad happened, and the check engine light didn't come up.

Any thoughts? I only have like 6500 km on this engine
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

unplug the battery for a few mins plug it back in. i had a lot of ppl with BMW's do the same thing and the engine goes to low power to protect itself. try that.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 AM
SL Member

Just tried this. Did nothing. When givin it gas, I hear a noise like pieces of metal
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya your probably blew something, got any video's?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 AM
SL Member

Sorry no I don't have any vids.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

make sure to take one if you can. play dumb at the dealership. just say that it was like that one day.... you might get away with it..
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
SL Member

Torque obd2 scanner app shows catalyst check, evaporative system check and o2 sensor check as "incomplete". They were just fine before the incident.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, sounds like you'll need a new engine. Also, there is probably an event data recorder that has logged the engine revving past redline.

That is driver error, not manufacturer error, you messed up, don't try to make Toyota pay for something that you did. It is stuff like this that drives up the price of cars for warranty claims and makes it harder to get legit items covered.

Oh, also, Toyota/Scion is on here. not sure how active, but you know, be aware.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
Yeah, sounds like you'll need a new engine. Also, there is probably an event data recorder that has logged the engine revving past redline.

That is driver error, not manufacturer error, you messed up, don't try to make Toyota pay for something that you did. It is stuff like this that drives up the price of cars for warranty claims and makes it harder to get legit items covered.

If you could point me where I said I'd lie to scion about the issue?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yardleytc suggested it. I wanted to keep the honest person honest.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
SL Member

no beef. I'm at the dealership right now

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM
SL Member

May just be the Water pump. A friend of mine did the same thing to his 07 camry and had the same issues with no CEL and the noise coming from the engine (chirping sound)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Klope1
May just be the Water pump. A friend of mine did the same thing to his 07 camry and had the same issues with no CEL and the noise coming from the engine (chirping sound)
Ok but the engine would overheat with a malfunctioning water pump no? And, according to various forums posts and sites I googled today, a loss of power together with a Subaru-ish sound means bent valves almost every time.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 PM
SL Member

thats what we thought also and we didn't see any antifreeze leaks anywhere. expected to see antifreeze at least on the floor but never seen any. we took off the passenger front tire and noticed dried up antifreeze on the engine. we took it to the dealer they said the antifreeze wouldn't leak onto the floor because the way its designed it basically squirts the antifreeze upwards and you would see a mark on the hood headliner . you would basically see a faded line on the liner above the belt and water pump.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
SL Member

he probably gotten lucky with just the water pump issue but doesn't hurt to check for a lil leak and look at the hood linear
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Blown a Rod or Damaged your Valve train.
I seen a post about a mis-shift here before and the person opened his valve cover and some of the "things" got off track, he put them back and tightened her back down and was ok.
Edit after reading: Lol this ain't no water pump problem.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck at the dealer, please post asap.
I think you should do a compression check. Then if that is looks ok, check the valves. Atleast valves are your top half and you should be able to fix those in your parents garage.
I consider you lucky being able to drive home. Most people end up with a piston rod through the oil pan...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber

I don't want to sound like an a-hole but hold on a sec. 3rd gear red lines at 82 mph (131kph according to Google). 4th gear red lines at 114 mph (183 kph). If he only went above red line for a second he should be fine. The red line is below the point where engine damage will occur for a reason. You can go above the red line temporarily before you hurt the engine. There is a reason why the red line is at 6300 rpm and the meter goes to 8000. Obviously extended periods above the red line (safe operating region) are not advised.

As for the checks saying incomplete, you had just reset the ECU when you unplugged the battery. It takes around 25-35 miles to reset the ECU. After that, reevaluate how the car is acting. If its still acting the same way, take the car to the dealer.

I honestly don't think you broke anything. I've downshifted from 2nd to 1st way above where I should've been when transitioning to 3rd gear, my car was and is still fine.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Bent or broken valves for sure. Time for a new shortblock...
Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kyleptrsn1
I honestly don't think you broke anything. I've downshifted from 2nd to 1st way above where I should've been when transitioning to 3rd gear, my car was and is still fine.
Well, the cars still runs without any check engine light. I tried to pull the codes with the Torque Scan android app and it didn't find anything; so yes, I don't think I'll need a new engine. It didn't grenade like those vids you see on youtube. The rev did something similar but that's about it. No noises of torn apart metal pieces.

But I think something must be broken because I don't feel the power it had before the incident. The difference is quite big IMHO. And it sounds like a Subaru, another hint at bent valves. The idle is rough. I can feel the exhaust pipes shaking underneath the car.

I'll have a look for the water pump tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Overreved and lost all my torque