Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 AM

Default transmission noise

hey guys im starting to hear this really weird noise coming from the transmission. Every time the car is in idle the noise is there but when i press on the clutch, the noise is not there anymore. I do not think it is the TOB because it is not making any squealing noise when i press on the clutch. Is it because of the cold weather? It is not noticeable until it is quiet and you cant hear it on the road.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jayden007
hey guys im starting to hear this really weird noise coming from the transmission. Every time the car is in idle the noise is there but when i press on the clutch, the noise is not there anymore. I do not think it is the TOB because it is not making any squealing noise when i press on the clutch. Is it because of the cold weather? It is not noticeable until it is quiet and you cant hear it on the road.
I think you may be experiencing clutch chatter. My tc does the same thing but only when the clutch is warm. Outside temperature doesn't affect it for mine
Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM

thx for the help. Is there any fix to it?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like the problem I have with mine. Apparently its normal. If it shifts fine, dont worry about it.

Mine gets a lot quieter after driving it for 20-30 minutes. They just have really noisy transmissions is all. Nothing you can do to fix it, so just phase it out and turn your radio up.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

lol yeah i saw your thread so i figured its normal since other people are having the same problems. thx mate
Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kind of wonder if its just an issue with too much sounding getting in to the cabin. All my cars have had some degree of tranny whine it just seems easier to hear with the tC. Even just shifting in and out of gear is seems louder then my other cars, like you can really hear the physical lever on the tranny banging around.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM

yeah i never had a problem with the whining before either until i bought the tC. Even when driving on the highway, it gets very noisy from the inside because of the noise from driving.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

After putting mine into 4th gear I dont hear it at all. I also have a decently loud exhaust though so that helps haha. Im going to try to change the trans oil, see if that has any affect at all. Ive heard the tcs made a lot of noise, but I didnt think it could get worse than my WRX.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That video is of my old trans. The noise I recorded was turns out to be a rear input shaft bearing being bad. Toyota has a TSB on this and I had my trans pulled apart and the bearing replaced. After 4-5k miles after the rebuild the noise got worse and worse and I ended up having a new trans put in. The new trans is quiet with about 18k on it now.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did they pay for the new trans?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 AM

would it cause any problems if it is not fix? The noise is not noticeable unless it is quiet.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by patriotfan11
Did they pay for the new trans?
Most definitely. After the dealer had replaced the bearing and I complained about the noise again, they told me it was normal. I called corporate, opened a case, and had a field representative look at my car. They drained the fluid and found a high concentration of metal shavings, so they ordered a new trans put it in. They also gave me a rental too.

would it cause any problems if it is not fix? The noise is not noticeable unless it is quiet.
Depends on the nature of the noise, if it was like mine then the bearing will slowly fail and then cause issues. However, it may not cause any issues at all. In my opinion a new car should not make any noise from the trans, but that wasn't the only reason I had been fighting with the dealers about this. I had issues with 2nd and 4th gears grinding as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 AM

wow so many problems with this car. For me the older generation of tc did not have this problem. Well i am not grinding on any gears at all so maybe il wait and see. I do not want to jump into any conclusions. Thx for the help mate
Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm the second owner of my car do you know if I go back to the dealer that the original owner got it from that they would do this for me? Or should I just contact corporate. My car gas 43k miles on it if that makes a difference
Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow so many problems with this car. For me the older generation of tc did not have this problem. Well i am not grinding on any gears at all so maybe il wait and see. I do not want to jump into any conclusions. Thx for the help mate
Definitely some things need attention. My brother has an 09' tC and hasn't had any issues with it. You may not encounter any issues, but I do a lot of traveling between school and home so I didn't want to risk having to deal with the transmission exploding. Either way, good luck!
I'm the second owner of my car do you know if I go back to the dealer that the original owner got it from that they would do this for me? Or should I just contact corporate. My car gas 43k miles on it if that makes a difference
Did you buy your car from a dealer? As far as I know, factory warranty should be transferred with the vehicle and not the owner. The only warranty that does not transfer over is for example if the original owner purchased a 100k mile warranty from the dealer. I would contact a local Toyota dealer and ask them how this works. I do know that the engine and transmission are covered for 5 years/60k miles.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought it from a private party but I know which dealer he bought it at. It says the 5yr/60k mile drive train will cover anything that makes the car move trans, engine, etc. I will definitely look into this.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought it from a private party but I know which dealer he bought it at. It says the 5yr/60k mile drive train will cover anything that makes the car move trans, engine, etc. I will definitely look into this.
I am pretty sure the manufacturer warranty remains with the vehicle.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:05 PM
SL Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but my 2013 tC makes the same noise. Does anyone have a link to the service bulletin for this issue?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldnt find a link to the TSB anywhere but when I brought it to the dealership they said there was a tsb for it and they fixed it
Old 10-09-2014, 07:29 PM
SL Member

Interesting. I'll go ride up there.

Quick Reply: transmission noise