Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Tuning..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Default Tuning..?

So this is way beyond my comprehension. I've called a few shops and they all asked what I had to tune it with. I assumed they would have the stuff and I just bring my car in, so I looked up some things and found a lot of things to buy.
I'm not sure what I need to tune it or if I should need them all. I found them on fast scion. What do I need to tune my car and what do the other stuff do to my car?

Reading the parts description didn't help me:

11-15 Scion tC Tuning Parts. Computer Upgrades and Tuning Parts for Scion tC2.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-18-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you turbo?...my assumption is that you aren't.

If this is the case, don't waste your time or money on tuning it. The only thing that will make your car faster is a turbo.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:40 PM

I'm not turbocharged but I've done bolt on parts and I know I'm not getting all of there potential, so what should I do instead.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're not getting their potential because there is no potential. Take this from one of the first tC2 owners who has done just about every bolt-on intake and exhaust part as well as a crank pulley. Your car won't be any faster without a turbo...just louder. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll save yourself from blowing tons of money on nothing.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
You're not getting their potential because there is no potential. Take this from one of the first tC2 owners who has done just about every bolt-on intake and exhaust part as well as a crank pulley. Your car won't be any faster without a turbo...just louder. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll save yourself from blowing tons of money on nothing.
Ha.. Welp, I'm going to have to boost then, thanks.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sanders_scion
Smart man...good luck brother. How much were they going to charge you for a 'tune' anyway?

You might consider getting a lighter weight set of wheels. For the money...nothing makes your car quicker. For a little more than the cost of completely replacing your intake and exhaust...you could get a sweet set of light wheels. It's all about reducing unsprung, rotational mass...huge impact on performance.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lighter Wheels and Tires make a hell of a difference. Suspension can help get the power down as well, but I pushed my Racelands way past their limits this weekend, and kept having power cuts due to trac/stability kicking in.
Of course, once I turned it off power cut went away but still, need either better shocks or stiffer springs than what Raceland provides. (they do give a great ride, and I'm not saying anything bad about the company/parts.
but if you plan to make hard runs on US129 or any aggressive back road, you want stiffer springs for sure.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-18-2020 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a lot of good advice. Nitrous works too btw.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Smart man...good luck brother. How much were they going to charge you for a 'tune' anyway?

You might consider getting a lighter weight set of wheels. For the money...nothing makes your car quicker. For a little more than the cost of completely replacing your intake and exhaust...you could get a sweet set of light wheels. It's all about reducing unsprung, rotational mass...huge impact on performance.
Around $350 for a dyno tune, but I had to buy the stuff to tune it which I was stuck at.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sanders_scion
Don't believe someone that hasn't done it themselves. I have Dezod Green Header, Injen Cold Air, Light weight Crank Pulley and I put together a Custom Exhaust system and when I put my Unichip on it was night and day.

Was it like slapping a turbo on? Of course not but for the money I spent on it it was definitely worth getting the little bit of extra umph

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-10-2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2013bluetc
Don't believe someone that hasn't done it themselves. I have Dezod Green Header, Injen Cold Air, Light weight Crank Pulley and I put together a Custom Exhaust system and when I put my Unichip on it was night and day. Was it like slapping a turbo on? Of course not but for the money I spent on it it was definitely worth getting the little bit of extra umph
I'll look into that, cause I ended up getting the F/I C 6 controller but haven't found someone that can hook it up for me.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-18-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Unichip

Installation of the chip is SUPER simple. It's a piggy back so no splicing wires and no footprint so if it's under warranty still and screws up its simple to take off and take to the dealership
Old 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM

Default Is there a place to get a burble tune?

Is there anything I can do to get more of a burble effect on my downshifts ?