Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Upgrade shopping list. Check my work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member

Default Upgrade shopping list. Check my work?

SO. I've got a shopping list but I need the "pros" to take a look at my work and see if I'm going the wrong direction or if I'm spot on. I've got a 2014 with 25,000 on it. Right now I have an Injen CAI and I'm looking to redo the exhaust system almost completely. I want to get the Dezod Red catless headers (Dezod Motorsports. Dezod Motorsports Red Catless Race 4-1 Header-tC 11+ (+11whp & +8ft/lbs gains)) Agency Power down-pipe (http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...5hovtjob4rcev7) and an Agency Power Catback (http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/...5hovtjob4rcev7). All installation will be done by me so that'll be just fine. But I'm looking to see if #1. These parts are as good as I think they are, #2. If they're all needed to get a good sound (no raspy fart cannon crap) and #3. If I should also invest in a tuner chip to get the efficiency that I want (mileage but especially power/speed) I will be modding to get a turbo but that's in the very distant future. Thoughts? Comments? Mean words?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol, I can appreciate how you're open to mean words. I have a few comments...they aren't really directly related to your 3 questions...I just so happened to have 3 comments lol.

1. Don't expect a lick of power from anything on your list. Bolt-ons provide nearly zero real world gains...just noise and placebo effects. Take this from an OG tC2 owner who has been there and done that. Dezod Green header, Tsudo cat-back, Takeda CAI, NST crank pulley. The cat-back even made the car a bit more sluggish on the bottom end because of the increased pipe diameter. If you're doing any of this...just do it expecting you will be louder, but in no way faster. Not until you turbo.

2. With that being said, you should not waste your money on a "tuner chip" either...same reason.

3. Those mods will make your car extremely loud and RASPY. Primarily because you're going with the Dezod Red header. Any time you remove the cat, you induce a ton of rasp...especially with you replacing the s-pipe and cat-back as well. If you want to avoid rasp, go with the Dezod Green instead.

EDIT: One more thing to add. If you really want to make your car faster without a turbo...consider a set of lightweight wheels. For not much more money than the parts on your list would cost you, you could grab a set of lightweight wheels and actually make your car quicker. Reducing unsprung, rotating mass will absolutely make your car quicker than a new exhaust setup.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My advice, stop wasting your money on parts you'll have to sell later like the intake and header. Do a cat back and then save the money.

Or research and start buying the individual pieces and put together your own turbo kit. Cheaper than dropping all that dough at one time.

The parts list you're putting together is more suitable for a nitrous install.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EDIT: One more thing to add. If you really want to make your car faster without a turbo...consider a set of lightweight wheels. For not much more money than the parts on your list would cost you, you could grab a set of lightweight wheels and actually make your car quicker. Reducing unsprung, rotating mass will absolutely make your car quicker than a new exhaust setup.[/QUOTE]

^^^THIS

Dezod Header: ~11hp
Agency S-Pipe: ~2hp
Agency Cat Back: ~2-3

About ~15hp in total and well over 1k spent. I would do them all at the same time and if you wanted, get a Unichip. It is a canned tune but can help tie all the mods together to produce another handful of horsepower (~4-6hp).

I say do what you want with the car. The car is relatively inexpensive and it is fun to put on parts. Keep expectations in tact but you will feel a difference, even though it is minimal (relative to a turbo).
Old 05-04-2015, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member

So my approach to any car is efficiency and balance. The first things I address are weak points on the car. Now, weak points will be different from driver to driver. The reality of is that you have to play with parts and ideas to find these most of the time. I've had my hands on a number of cars so I've found what I want out of a car.
The biggest weakness in the tC2's for me is the slow rev's. This is due to the weight the engine has to turn before it even gets to the gear box. Depending on how extreme you want to approach this is up to you. I'm just going with a lightweight crank pulley, and lighter flywheel. There are minimal gains in the top end, but this strives to my second requirement, balance. The engine response will have more power ready in more situations. Light weight wheels are so UNDER-rated, highly recommended.
All this is up to you.
That being said, you can through a few dollars into the exhaust and items like that if that'd make you happy, but take the time to think about the end product. driveability vs. "raceability" (I guess).