Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

CEL codes & problems after turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:49 PM

Default CEL codes & problems after turbo install

After finishing up a turbo install on a '14 manual transmission, I am experiencing and trying to troubleshoot the following problems:

1. Slow startup - it takes about 3 seconds longer for the car to startup than before the install. The battery was relocated to the trunk but the voltage seems to be okay.

2. Rough idle - the idle bounces up and down for a bit until it finally settles around 8-900

3. Stalling - the idle dips so low in neutral when coming to a stop that unless I give it some gas, I'll stall out 4 out of 5 times.

4. Overboosting - I only have the 5lb spring in the wastegate, but at 6000+ RPMs I will hit 12-15lbs of boost - I'm going to redo my vaccuum setup tomorrow and see if it helps this.

5. Choking/Sputting - At high RPMs on boost, the car will choke/sputter. Mostly likely a tuning issue that needs to be worked out. My wideband will go down to 10.1 so I know I'm a bit rich.

My check engine light is on and I have the following codes:

- P0171 System too lean
- P1604 Startability malfunction

I have 3" catless exhaust and also used to have a CEL code because of that, but I just installed the Weapon R CEL eliminator and hopefully that took care of the no cat code. It might show up again after a couple of drive cycles though.

Can anyone put 2 and 2 together and give me an idea of what might be the cause of any of the problems listed above? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:58 AM

Update: Re-doing the vacuum setup didn't help with anything other than making it look nicer. Now I'm thinking that the overboost might be caused by the 3" catless exhaust. Perhaps there's not enough back pressure. I'm going to put a muffler on it to hopefully create some. It's a bit loud for my taste anyway.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a tuning issue for most of it but for the boost control issues its most likely an issue with your waste gate. I'm running a 3" exhust too but I've got none of these issues double check that your not leaking boost anywhere in any of your lines and use teflon tape on all connections.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:47 AM

I double and triple checked this past weekend. Everything seems in order. I redid the vacuum lines so they're coming directly from the brake booster instead of from the vacuum manifold block. I'm probably going to have to call AEM when I'm in the car with the laptop and try to get one of their techs to help me.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 AM

Update #2: I changed the breakpoints on the Y-axis of the fuel and 02 tables. Started the car - it started right away. My slow startup issue seems to have been solved.

Took it out for a couple runs. It wouldn't boost past 4lbs (I have the .3bar ~ 4.5lb spring in the wastegate). Coincidence? Not sure, I need to collect more data. But I know I was hitting 12 lbs of boost before with the same spring. However, I'm not sure why changing the tune would have affected the wastegate, so I'm not convinced yet that the overboosting problem has been solved. But at the moment it looks like that's a possibility.

I was running too rich at 4lbs and started to sputter, so I just leaned it out a little bit in a couple of rows. Tomorrow I'll see if it stays at 4lbs without running so rich.

Starting to feel optimistic, but I'm not 100% sure those issues were fixed. I need to drive it more. And my rough idle / stalling problem still remains.