Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Dezod Turbo Kit on 2014 tC

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:16 AM

Default Dezod Turbo Kit on 2014 tC

Hi Paul and everyone else,

I am going to be putting in an order for a Dezod turbo kit for my manual transmission 2014 Scion tC in a few weeks. I have never owned a forced induction car, so admittedly my knowledge of what all I need is limited. However, a good friend of mine is very knowledgeable about turbos. The Dezod kit addressed all of the issues he was concerned about because of the high compression ratio (pre-ignition detonation, etc) and overall he said it was a legit kit.

But in order to really do it right and get the most out of it, he suggested I get a few other things in addition to ther kit. Here is where I sort of need a little help from Paul Dezod and everyone here. My friend and I were hoping you could look over this list for us and let us know your thoughts and possibly answer the few questions that we came up with if you can. I put the questions in bold to make them easier for you to see, not to be obnoxious. By the way, the car is a daily driver, so I'm only planning to run it at 7 pounds of boost.

1. He originally told me that I should replace the spark plugs. He highly recommended NGK V-Power plugs ("Copper is great, stay away from Iridium and platinum for turbos"), and get them one step colder than stock (which we believe to be 5, so he suggested I get 6's). However, after he realized that the 2ARFE engine that the 2014 tC runs is direct injection, he wasn't so sure anymore since he's never had a direct injection motor on a turbocharged car. He thought perhaps I might need hot plugs. Can you shed any light on this subject? Would I need hot or cold plugs and if the answer is cold, do you know what the heat range is on the stock spark plugs? Is it 5? The only info we could find about the stock plugs was that they are model SK16HR11.

2. I need a new clutch. He runs SPEC clutches on all of his turbocharged cars and from what I can tell, they seem to have a good reputation. Do you agree with his choice?

3. He suggested I get a new fuel pump. He recommends the Walbro 255. Again, does this sound like a decent choice?

4. The installer is going to custom fabricate the exchaust piping from the turbo manifold on back. I would just get a muffler/exhaust tip and weld that to the piping he runs back. I was originally thinking that I needed a 3.5" diameter pipe, but my buddy said that since I'm only going to run at 7 pounds of boost, a 3 inch diameter exhaust pipe was sufficient. Does that sound about right to you?

5. I don't want a bunch of guages going up my A-pillar, so I was going to get an Apexi boost controller with digital guages. But it seems like they can't be gotten for under $500 which is a bit pricey. Are the any other alternatives? An all-one kind of controller and guages similar to the Apexi? Have you heard anything about Apexi boost controllers being difficult to integrate with the Dezod kit?

6. The kit comes with an "AEM fuel and ignition controller with professional tuned base calibration". The guy who is going to do all the installation doesn't do tuning, so I'll have to bring the car somewhere else for that, but in the meantime I'll need to drive it to work and back. But am I right that the "professional tuned base calibration" means that it's already pre-tuned to a baseline level and may not necessarily run at 100% (it might run rich and a few degrees less timing) but it would still be safe to drive?

7. I can see on the picture of the Dezod site that the battery still fits under the hood along with the turbo hardware. Will I also be able to keep my power steering and air conditioning, or is there not eough room under the hood for everything?

8. Is there anything very obvious that we missed?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I'm looking forward to any replies I get back. Thanks again!

-halosinfire-

Last edited by halosinfire; 11-21-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If u run it at 7psi your stock set up is fine.(250-260whp range) For spark plug 1 step colder it is. Depend on how much miles is on the tranny. Stock clutch can hold up to 10psi. If you want to upgrade it would be even better. The stock fuel pump is good to 350hp. Basic mechanical boost gauge and afr digital gauge is a must for boost application. It will help monitor your turbo setup. I am boosted for 2 years all stock component. 2013tc2. Good luck on your project.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yah and a good maintenance and tune to make it last.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 PM

Hi Rydrdg,

Thanks for the info. For the spark plugs, 1 step colder. Do you know what the heat range is on the stock plugs? Would one step colder be a 6? The engine and tranny have 17,000 miles on them. I'm definitely going to replace the stock clutch, perhaps one day I'll up the boost and I would need it then anyways. Same for the fuel pump. What are you using for guages? Also, are you using the Dezod turbo kit? Thanks again for your reply.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure for the heat range on the spark plugs. I have the mechanical garret boost gauge, aem afr gauge and glowshift coolant temp gauge. I got simple gauges and it does the job. My kit is the descendant its discontinued. Im running 10psi my clutch is starting to slip at 4k rpm this year. I turn down the boost to 8psi. Maybe in the future i will replace the clutch with the act 6puck 500lb torq.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the aeromotive fuel pump. I bought it used. It was custom fitted to the fuel setup already. All i did was remove the stock setup and drop the thing in. I kept the stock incase i will need it in the future.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:39 AM

Hi Rydrdg,

Thanks again for your reply and your info. I'll have to do some more research on the spark plugs. How much horsepower are you getting out of the 8lbs of boost?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually 8psi will get u at 270 280 whp range. I got 304whp at 10 psi.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Reply

Originally Posted by halosinfire
Hi Paul and everyone else,

I am going to be putting in an order for a Dezod turbo kit for my manual transmission 2014 Scion tC in a few weeks. I have never owned a forced induction car, so admittedly my knowledge of what all I need is limited. However, a good friend of mine is very knowledgeable about turbos. The Dezod kit addressed all of the issues he was concerned about because of the high compression ratio (pre-ignition detonation, etc) and overall he said it was a legit kit.

But in order to really do it right and get the most out of it, he suggested I get a few other things in addition to ther kit. Here is where I sort of need a little help from Paul Dezod and everyone here. My friend and I were hoping you could look over this list for us and let us know your thoughts and possibly answer the few questions that we came up with if you can. I put the questions in bold to make them easier for you to see, not to be obnoxious. By the way, the car is a daily driver, so I'm only planning to run it at 7 pounds of boost.

1. He originally told me that I should replace the spark plugs. He highly recommended NGK V-Power plugs ("Copper is great, stay away from Iridium and platinum for turbos"), and get them one step colder than stock (which we believe to be 5, so he suggested I get 6's). However, after he realized that the 2ARFE engine that the 2014 tC runs is direct injection, he wasn't so sure anymore since he's never had a direct injection motor on a turbocharged car. He thought perhaps I might need hot plugs. Can you shed any light on this subject? Would I need hot or cold plugs and if the answer is cold, do you know what the heat range is on the stock spark plugs? Is it 5? The only info we could find about the stock plugs was that they are model SK16HR11.

PTNGKLFR6AIX-11 is the one step colder spark plug of choice. Stock heat range is 5.

2. I need a new clutch. He runs SPEC clutches on all of his turbocharged cars and from what I can tell, they seem to have a good reputation. Do you agree with his choice?

Your choice of clutch manufacturer is your own, personally I'd run a dual friction setup so you keep the best of both worlds with a proper break in.

3. He suggested I get a new fuel pump. He recommends the Walbro 255. Again, does this sound like a decent choice?

DW200 or 255 either one

4. The installer is going to custom fabricate the exchaust piping from the turbo manifold on back. I would just get a muffler/exhaust tip and weld that to the piping he runs back. I was originally thinking that I needed a 3.5" diameter pipe, but my buddy said that since I'm only going to run at 7 pounds of boost, a 3 inch diameter exhaust pipe was sufficient. Does that sound about right to you?

3" exhaust is right. No point in going bigger. Why have them fabricate when my exhaust fits all and bolts up?

5. I don't want a bunch of guages going up my A-pillar, so I was going to get an Apexi boost controller with digital guages. But it seems like they can't be gotten for under $500 which is a bit pricey. Are the any other alternatives? An all-one kind of controller and guages similar to the Apexi? Have you heard anything about Apexi boost controllers being difficult to integrate with the Dezod kit?

The kit comes with an AEM FIC. I'd run gauges to keep tabs.

6. The kit comes with an "AEM fuel and ignition controller with professional tuned base calibration". The guy who is going to do all the installation doesn't do tuning, so I'll have to bring the car somewhere else for that, but in the meantime I'll need to drive it to work and back. But am I right that the "professional tuned base calibration" means that it's already pre-tuned to a baseline level and may not necessarily run at 100% (it might run rich and a few degrees less timing) but it would still be safe to drive?

You need to understand that is a base tune. Even though it is a good one you MUST get it tuned afterwards. It is a good basemap but never would I ever tell you it's ok to daily drive on. Calibrations differ from build to build.

7. I can see on the picture of the Dezod site that the battery still fits under the hood along with the turbo hardware. Will I also be able to keep my power steering and air conditioning, or is there not eough room under the hood for everything?

Yes you keep these creature comforts.

8. Is there anything very obvious that we missed?

Who's going to tune your car.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I'm looking forward to any replies I get back. Thanks again!

-halosinfire-
Please see above answers.

Last edited by paul_dezod; 11-24-2015 at 05:38 PM.