Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

How to make your tC Faster

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default How to make your tC Faster

You Can't. No honestly I got the Turbo on my tC, full turbo back 3 inch exhaust and got it tuned which was the hardest part of the whole build and I drove it home from the tuner and was sick with the money I spent and what I had. So off the parts went and I walked into the dealer and bought a 2011 STi. Buy Buy Scion. . My stock STi is faster than my Turbo Scion and Ill put money on that. And I have a warranty, 4 doors, and a better trans. Went threw three of them in my tC. Now on the other hand man there is some great guys on this site and some great Scion guys so don't make me out to be a d__k just think before your next purchase. 20,000 for Scion plus 5-7,000 in turbo build in hopes to run with the big dogs. Or take that 5-7,00 put it down on a nicer car and pay a little extra each month and have what you want. I'm dying to see the response comments on this.
Have a good night.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-20-2019 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whatever makes you happy man it is your car and what you drive everyday. If you aren't happy then get something that makes you happy =)

Maybe you should of done more research on the tC if you were looking into a race car. After all it is still just a Camry engine and there is only so much it can do even if you throw in a turbo and some other parts.

Anyway the STi is a nice car enjoy it!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An tC was never intended to be a race car first of all. I was really just meant for customization so when u boost the crap out of it and it breaks u cant get mad. I blow a motor before and the second time my time with it did research asked question and im doing it the right way. It take a lot to make a tC fast and reliable plus patience if u dont have that u will be upset. If u wanted a fast car out the box that was meant for races u should of got an Evo or Sti from the jump. I have thought about getting an Evo but i love the fact that the tC is an underdog so I'm finish it plus when i go to the spots or tracks im the only boosted tC feels better than when there 10 Sti and Evo. But have fun with ur new car hope u enjoy it better than ur tC.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-20-2019 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2011 STi - $34-$36k
Scion tC - $20k-$22K

Is it me or is there a gap of 14 grand you have to play with here? Sure you can always buy your power right of the dealer lot. Hence the reason they make 500+ HP cars.... anyone can buy a car though. Then there's people who suffer through the aches and pains of building a car up.

like ^ bigG2148 said theres something about being the underdog that's appealing.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-20-2019 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2011TC2TURBO
You Can't. No honestly I got the turbo on my tc, full turbo back 3 inch exhaust and got it tunned which was the hardest part of the whole build and I drove it home from the tuner and was sick with the money I spent and what I had. So off the parts went and I walked into the dealer and bought a 2011 STI. Buy Buy Scion. . My stock STI is faster than my Turbo Scion and Ill put money on that. And I have a warrenty, 4 doors, and a better trans. Went threw three of them in my tc. Now on the other hand man there is some great guys on this site and some great scion guys so dont make me out to be a dick just think before your next purchase. 20,000 for scion plus 5-7,000 in turbo build in hopes to run with the big dogs. Or take that 5-7,00 put it down on a nicer car and pay a little extra each month and have what you want. Im dieing to see the response commets on this. Have a good night.
....something tells me you didn't do it right.....but hey, different strokes....
Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2011TC2TURBO
You Can't. No honestly I got the turbo on my tc, full turbo back 3 inch exhaust and got it tunned which was the hardest part of the whole build and I drove it home from the tuner and was sick with the money I spent and what I had. So off the parts went and I walked into the dealer and bought a 2011 STI. Buy Buy Scion. . My stock STI is faster than my Turbo Scion and Ill put money on that. And I have a warrenty, 4 doors, and a better trans. Went threw three of them in my tc. Now on the other hand man there is some great guys on this site and some great scion guys so dont make me out to be a dick just think before your next purchase. 20,000 for scion plus 5-7,000 in turbo build in hopes to run with the big dogs. Or take that 5-7,00 put it down on a nicer car and pay a little extra each month and have what you want. Im dieing to see the response commets on this. Have a good night.

......sorry, this post gets funnier the more times I read it....
Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
......sorry, this post gets funnier the more times I read it....
Just quit reading!
It's worthless!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1087
Just quit reading!
It's worthless!
...I can't, because every time I notice something new....like just now....the sig. PT Tuned--Really?!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason its slow its because you did not add any hellaflush stickers to your rear window and u did not add a "Powered By TRD" in the front. U probably didn't even smoke the taillights. Every tC 2 needs those basic mods in order to be fast.

JDM YO!!
Oh wait... theres not even a JDM equivalent
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kit did you have? What psi where you running? What power,
Why did you buy a Scion and boost it knowing, there's not meant to be super fast cars,
Someone didn't do there research.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-20-2019 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

good luck upgrading the sti on a budget.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
...I can't, because every time I notice something new....like just now....the sig. PT Tuned--Really?!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by STlTCHES
2011 STI - $34-$36k
Scion tC - $20k-$22K

Is it me or is there a gap of 14 grand you have to play with here? Sure you can always buy your power right of the dealer lot. Hence the reason they make 500+ HP cars.... anyone can buy a car though. Then theres people who suffer through the aches and pains of building a car up.

like ^ bigG2148 said theres something about being the underdog thats appealing.
^^ good points. I'm certainly not gonna bash a new STi. It's a nice friggin' car hands down. Everyone likes something performance wise a little different whether it's a tC or something else. I quoted STITCHES' for pointing out the price gap between the two.
Easy research is gonna tell you that you're probably not going to get near the performance of a bone stock STi with a tC even turbo'd. If you weren't getting a serious amount of increased performance by spending that extra 10-14K, then it would be pointless to do so and anyone that did buy one would be getting seriously ripped off. lol.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meh, my boss has a 2010 WRX and we go side by side until 4th hear then he pulls and it's not by much. Were both stick and good drivers. STis are nice but by no mean fast lol.
I can turbo an iS Integra ad beat an Sti. It's all about how u build it. $ per $ if u know what ur doing the tC will be caste For less $ but u won't have the warranty.
That's basically the only good point u made.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-20-2019 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

STi is a great car and I'm sure you're going to love it. Can't complain about any car that can do 0-60mph in under 5 sec while still being able to get you and your friends to the lodge on a weekend ski trip!

As for the tC, it sounds like you didn't have realistic expectations for it. No matter how much money you throw at the tC2, you won't EVER get it to be as fast in a straight line as the "big dogs" and still be a functional daily driver.

The joy of the tC (and any Scion) isn't in straight line speed. Three letters should explain it. "FWD" The tC2 is great because of how easy and relatively inexpensive it is to modify. The happy tC2 owners on here generally fall into 1 of 2 groups. 1) Can't afford a $30K+ car. 2) Can afford a more expensive car, but would rather spend the money to make a less expensive car their own unique creation rather than a cool car just like everyone else's cool car.

I really enjoy tinkering with my car. If I bought it already built exactly the way I wanted it, I'd end up buying another car just so I could tinker with something.

One last note. If you really want to see performance, take your new STi out to an AutoX event. Watch the Miatas and Celicas own the Mustangs, Camaros and STis on the track. Then we'll talk about "big dogs."
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
STi is a great car and I'm sure you're going to love it. Can't complain about any car that can do 0-60mph in under 5 sec while still being able to get you and your friends to the lodge on a weekend ski trip!

As for the tC, it sounds like you didn't have realistic expectations for it. No matter how much money you throw at the tC2, you won't EVER get it to be as fast in a straight line as the "big dogs" and still be a functional daily driver.

The joy of the tC (and any Scion) isn't in straight line speed. Three letters should explain it. "FWD" The tC2 is great because of how easy and relatively inexpensive it is to modify. The happy tC2 owners on here generally fall into 1 of 2 groups. 1) Can't afford a $30K+ car. 2) Can afford a more expensive car, but would rather spend the money to make a less expensive car their own unique creation rather than a cool car just like everyone else's cool car.

I really enjoy tinkering with my car. If I bought it already built exactly the way I wanted it, I'd end up buying another car just so I could tinker with something.

One last note. If you really want to see performance, take your new STi out to an AutoX event. Watch the Miatas and Celicas own the Mustangs, Camaros and STis on the track. Then we'll talk about "big dogs."

That is a great post and I agree with you 100% especially on the tinkering with the cars and realistic expectations part. I came from a Subaru SVX to the tC and I knew that the tC was not going to be as fast or handle as well but I still love it. I used to tinker with the Subaru and not be afraid of breaking anything because it was old but I have had more fun playing with the tC. I don't have much money to spend on the car but with the little I have spent on it (and more to come ) I have had one hell of a fun experience. It's fun to bring it from stock to modified even with simple mods. I do miss being able to take off-ramps at 3x the posted speed limit (some of them, especially the tight ones, 4x on one ) and have quick acceleration but I understand what the tC is and I love it to death. I plan on keeping it for 10+ years and I'll enjoy every minute of it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to be a dick, but I think OP is lacking more than just realistic expectations.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

DSPORT MAG 12/12/2011 stock same day 91 octane
MSRP
0-60
1/4 Mile Fontana
Lap + MPH Willow Springs
Dynojet

2011 WRX STI
13.594 101.27
1:28.80 103.42 mph
244 whp
AWD

2012 Scion TC
15.811 87.14 mph
1:33.76 95.3 mph
175.1 whp
FWD

Price difference is $15,420 no tax or license
Insurance for me 23 years old living in LA STI $300 TC $150
I went to the dealership to buy a STI but when I added it up not worth it for me. A 2007 STI is the same price as new TC want performance there is your answer just pay insurance and get the extended warranty.

My opinion if you want to spend 15 grand in a TC don’t do it my brother and I have been building Hondas for 10 years the headache is not worth it unless you want to build a 11 sec car or faster.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do not forget a TC is a fwd car more power less traction; you would need tires, suspension, mounts, etc.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Price out the door for LA County
STI base
$38,010 What I was going to pay.
TC base
$21,439 What I paid.
10k down 60 months 3.7 APR
Payment 484 vs 210
Insurance 300 vs 150
$784 vs $360
Performance for me is not a big issue since my bro has a 11 sec civic that we drag and track.

Quick Reply: How to make your tC Faster