Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

How to make your tC Faster

Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member

Hey guys didnt get to read all the post wasnt meant to be a ___ I do love this site. Just its worth the price gap to me. Also I never went pt tuned. I mean how long do you wait. I ended going to a dezod kick after a few weeks. Thanks once again
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know man, I still think the STI is slow too. But I have two honda super sport 1000cc street bikes, along with my boosted tc, and civic SI Ep3 - so i guess its all relevant. To me, cars really are not that fast - but its enjoying your platform you purchased, so if the STI suits you man, than thats awesome. I still miss my Porsche I had in high school.

Congrats on your new purchase - I will say it is a better choice of a car (I think) because of the AWD, power bump up, and 4 doors. I am not sure about maintaining/reliability with subie, but I am sure its fine. Any time you can get stuff that is factory installed, and better quality - you will ALWAYS do better IMHO.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NIC cards? PT Tuned.

ATM . . . achine.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having owned both my tc was faster on 8 psi than my STI at 20 psi. The STi doesnt have straight speed like the the tc did but the STI isnt made for that.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcturbo07
Having owned both my tc was faster on 8 psi than my STI at 20 psi. The STi doesnt have straight speed like the the tc did but the STI isnt made for that.
I agree. I used to own an 05 STi. It was a really nice car, yet very expensive to modify. It dyno'd around 260ish-270ish whp stock, maybe more. However, the car was 35k before taxes and fees. I paid about 23k total for my tC2 and put probably 6k into parts and labor and I'm putting down 367 whp.

So, for me, saving an extra 6k for 100 whp more was worth it. Yes, it isn't an AWD monster like STi's can be, but I know for the price point, there isn't anything out there that is 29k with the same power rating at the wheels.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZeroEyeQueue
I agree. I used to own an 05 STi. It was a really nice car, yet very expensive to modify. It dyno'd around 260ish-270ish whp stock, maybe more. However, the car was 35k before taxes and fees. I paid about 23k total for my tC2 and put probably 6k into parts and labor and I'm putting down 367 whp.

So, for me, saving an extra 6k for 100 whp more was worth it. Yes, it isn't an AWD monster like STi's can be, but I know for the price point, there isn't anything out there that is 29k with the same power rating at the wheels.
^^^This is the point.....It's been said in threads numerous times when new tc owners complain about out the box performance. I know a lot of us buy the car for reliability, easy customization...etc. But for those who look for power, or measure the tC next to evo, sti, etc. read this post. When it's done right, the tC will more than stand up...if it doesn't, than you took shortcuts. Or watch the video of Rhythmnsmoke lapping 335i and evo on an oval track.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by speterson82
^^^This is the point.....It's been said in threads numerous times when new tc owners complain about out the box performance. I know a lot of us buy the car for reliability, easy customization...etc. But for those who look for power, or measure the tC next to evo, sti, etc. read this post. When it's done right, the tC will more than stand up...if it doesn't, than you took shortcuts. Or watch the video of Rhythmnsmoke lapping 335i and evo on an oval track.
^^ part of the thought I was having on this one...
I've been building performance cars for more years then I care to admit to, so I know there are a lot like me out there that prefer and get more satisfaction and pride out of being able to say "Yes it's mine, and it's Built... NOT bought."
Old 01-02-2012, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to put in my two cents for the heck of it. I did not buy my car because of the performance stats. I bought the car because I could afford it and its much better looking than any comperable car ex. Civic, Camry, Jetta. Also I could get a manual trans. All of those other brands couldnt find a manual. With that said........ I am slowly modifying my tC2 and would not mind it being faster but I know that it will not be taking on vetts unless I willing to drop 10,000 which Im not but I love this car
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
STi is a great car and I'm sure you're going to love it. Can't complain about any car that can do 0-60mph in under 5 sec while still being able to get you and your friends to the lodge on a weekend ski trip!

As for the tC, it sounds like you didn't have realistic expectations for it. No matter how much money you throw at the tC2, you won't EVER get it to be as fast in a straight line as the "big dogs" and still be a functional daily driver.

The joy of the tC (and any Scion) isn't in straight line speed. Three letters should explain it. "FWD" The tC2 is great because of how easy and relatively inexpensive it is to modify. The happy tC2 owners on here generally fall into 1 of 2 groups. 1) Can't afford a $30K+ car. 2) Can afford a more expensive car, but would rather spend the money to make a less expensive car their own unique creation rather than a cool car just like everyone else's cool car.

I really enjoy tinkering with my car. If I bought it already built exactly the way I wanted it, I'd end up buying another car just so I could tinker with something.

One last note. If you really want to see performance, take your new STi out to an AutoX event. Watch the Miatas and Celicas own the Mustangs, Camaros and STis on the track. Then we'll talk about "big dogs."
Hands down the best said response. I love messing with my car. Its all I really think about. "What can I do next?" When I first saw the tC2 I knew that's what I was going to get, all other cars that I might be interested in went to the way side. I love the question "What kind of car is that, that's awesome"
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ x 100000

Anyone can buy a fast car. Hell what's the point of having a fast car if you didn't do it yourself? Any rich dude can buy a $50,000 performance car and pay to get it turbo'd and beat everyone on the track.

If you can afford to have 35k for a sti and pay an extra 10k to tinker with it, then awesome, i wish i was you. But for us who don't have that much money to throw down, the TC is an awesome car that starts at a decent speed, and can get up to a fairly high speed.

Lastly, the TC is designed to be an economy car. So no matter what you do, it will never be as fast as those 45K performance cars.The point is CUSTOMIZATION, not elitism.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
^^^ x 100000

Anyone can buy a fast car. Hell what's the point of having a fast car if you didn't do it yourself? Any rich dude can buy a $50,000 performance car and pay to get it turbo'd and beat everyone on the track.

If you can afford to have 35k for a sti and pay an extra 10k to tinker with it, then awesome, i wish i was you. But for us who don't have that much money to throw down, the TC is an awesome car that starts at a decent speed, and can get up to a fairly high speed.

Lastly, the TC is designed to be an economy car. So no matter what you do, it will never be as fast as those 45K performance cars.The point is CUSTOMIZATION, not elitism.
My point exactly. Sure I would love to buy a Lambo or something but whats the fun in that? You're not going to mess with that car. Its already been done for you. I want to build the car myself. Some people might call us crazy for ripping into the car the first day. Hell within my first two weeks I probably voided the warranty. I even told the dealer that, kept trying to get me to buy extra protection and what not. I was like dude, I don't need that crap. I'm going to void the warranty completely most likely in 6 months.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^last three sentences are golden
Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ And so true
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default i guess ill throw my hat in...

I didnt have the credit to buy a nicer car, at the time. i really wanted to get an 2008 r32, but did some research and settled for my tc. Since then ive spent about 10k (still 9k cheaper) on moddifing this thing, not to race but because its what i like to do. Today my tc puts down 355whp, and i dust the Sh*t out of lightly modded sti's, Mustang's and evo's. On top of that i can say i built this, You Cant!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 2011TC2TURBO
You Can't. No honestly I got the turbo on my tc, full turbo back 3 inch exhaust and got it tunned which was the hardest part of the whole build and I drove it home from the tuner and was sick with the money I spent and what I had. So off the parts went and I walked into the dealer and bought a 2011 STI. Buy Buy Scion. . My stock STI is faster than my Turbo Scion and Ill put money on that. And I have a warrenty, 4 doors, and a better trans. Went threw three of them in my tc. Now on the other hand man there is some great guys on this site and some great scion guys so dont make me out to be a dick just think before your next purchase. 20,000 for scion plus 5-7,000 in turbo build in hopes to run with the big dogs. Or take that 5-7,00 put it down on a nicer car and pay a little extra each month and have what you want. Im dieing to see the response commets on this. Have a good night.
Kinda what i went through some years back. Got a taste of what serious power is, sold everything, then stepped up. Miss my lil' tC once in a while....then i step on the go pedal and forget all about it.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 12stormtroopertc
Hands down the best said response. I love messing with my car. Its all I really think about. "What can I do next?" When I first saw the tC2 I knew that's what I was going to get, all other cars that I might be interested in went to the way side. I love the question "What kind of car is that, that's awesome"
Yeah, agreed with that. I could have gotten something more but I went with the tC because it's economical while still fun to drive. I think in this case, this is some of the reason the tC part of the Scion community gets crap. There's a great modding scene of enthusiasts who like to tinker and enjoy their cars but there's the misinformed ricers who try to make the tC something it's not.

Personally, I love my tC2 and in a few years down the road, I would love to get an WRX STI or a Mustang but I'll keep this car because it's more economic for a commuter but still damn fun to drive.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not going to re-read everything, but skimming the thread, basically listen to MightyP, and some others. Buy a tC2 for what it is. It is a nice handling FWD car that you can customize the living poo out of. Will it fast? Only if you build it and invest a bunch of money.

Want fast? Read, research, and figure out what you want to buy. Hell, I run 10psi stock on the K03 in my B6, and with just spending $1k (intake, 3" downpipe, and ecu reprogram) I can go from 200hp/207tq to 280hp/325tq... but I knew that going in, vs just buying it and hoping. Before you buy anything, read, read, and read. Then read some more.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

325 torque? Dang, Jealous
Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Hell, I run 10psi stock on the K03 in my B6, and with just spending $1k (intake, 3" downpipe, and ecu reprogram) I can go from 200hp/207tq to 280hp/325tq... but I knew that going in, vs just buying it and hoping. Before you buy anything, read, read, and read. Then read some more.
Wow. Cool!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another tool and their sti.....and that natural backfire noise the car makes...$35k for awd and a turbo.............nothing else. Money well wasted

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to make your tC Faster