Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Questions about turbocharging a 2015 tC

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Default Questions about turbocharging a 2015 tC

Last edited by halosinfire; 12-12-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by halosinfire
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've done a lot of searching and researching about turbocharging a 2015 tC, but I cannot find a whole lot of information specific to the 2015 model. I'm a first time and new Scion owner, so I'm not sure how much different the installation and parts vary between the 2015 model and older models for which there is far more information and parts for sale. Addionally, this will be my first forced induction car, so please excuse my ignorance if I ask a silly question. Again, I have done a lot of searching, but I could not find much information. Please refrain from angry replies and flames if possible.

I have several friends with turbocharged cars and have talked with them on numerous occasions so I know the basics. I'll be assisting (probably more like watching) one friend who tunes cars for a living with the install. He suggested I ask on a Scion forum for specifics when it comes to parts that I need as he is not an expert on every make and model of car, though he assures me with the right parts the install will be no problem. So after much researching, here I am.

I'm not trying to build a race car or run 10s at the track. I will never even go to a track. This car is a daily driver. I just want to give it a bit more speed and power and I love the sound of turbocharged cars. I just read on another thread someone saying if you want a fast car, get a different car, don't bother with a turbo on a tC. Well, I'm just trying to have a little fun with my tC and get a little more out of it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'm only planning to run it at 7 or 8 pounds of boost to be conservative as I'd like the car to last for awhile.

Now, unfortunately my tuner friend is not sitting next to me as I type these questions, as I'm sure they'd be better written if he was. I'm going off of memory of the conversation he and I had last night and from what I have found out on my own through searching. Okay, here they come.

1) I'm looking at this turbo kit (see link below). Can anyone see any reason why this kit would not fit/work with a 2015 tC? My friend thinks perhaps he might just have to get creative with the piping, but does anyone see any other issues? I know it's an eBay kit. Please don't say it's not going to fit or work simply because you have a disdain for eBay kits. If it won't fit, can you please tell me why?

Stage 2 Performance Upgrade T3 T04E Turbo Charger Kit Universal Fmic DIY Piping | eBay

My buddy warned me that I'd probably be flamed for posting the eBay kit. However, he has installed several, including for some of my other friends, and none of them have had any problems or complaints. One friend has 60,000 miles on his with 14 pounds of boost and not the slightest hint of any problem. Also, I don't really want to spend the 5 or 6 thousand dollars on the Dezod kit that I've seen. It's not about being cheap or trying to take shortcuts to save a buck, it's just that my tuner buddy has convinced me that it's not necessary to spend that kind of money for what I want to do (daily driver, no drag racing, only run it with 7 or 8 pounds of boost, etc).

2) Assuming that the kit is okay, you can see that it does not include a header (and downpipe). Can anyone suggest a header that would work with this setup? For the 2015, I don't see too many options. The Dezod Green header (catted) is one that I have found. Are there other options that would work?

3) The Dezod Green also had a non-catted version. Other than probably not being able to pass emissions inspections, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the catted vs. the non-catted?

4) The exhaust system. Do you recommend I run a 3" exhaust or would a 2.5" be sufficient? Can anyone recommend a full exhaust system (and provide a link if you could) that would be compatible with my planned setup? Again, I can't find a whole lot when it comes to the 2015 tC, though I can find a lot for other years. Also, I don't want to sound ridiculously loud or like a tin can and wake up the neighborhood every morning. I want it to sound aggressive, and certainly louder than stock, but tasteful.

5) That eBay ad says, "This kit may allow you to keep your air conditioning and power steering for a great street setup." Am I right that if I want to keep my A/C and power steering that this is also just another matter of getting creative with the piping?

Well, I think that's all my questions for now, though I'll probably have more later. I appreciate any help and would also appreciate not being flamed if you find my questions annoying. I honestly spent a long time searching different forums, talking to my friends with turbocharged cars (though not Scions) and searching for parts. Hopefully, you can see that I actually have taken time to research and that this is not just another 2 sentence "I want to turbocharge my tC but have no idea what to buy. Please help." thread.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer helpful advice. It's greatly appreciated.
Try pming Paul Dezod or reviewing this thread below.

Here is a direct link to the thread for the Dezod turbo kit that should answer the majority of your questions.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...w-here-213838/

I know you said you're trying to stray away from this kit based on budget issues but I feel you would get better information directly from the source,
rather than someone recommending ebay parts. Also, after quickly gazing at your post i didn't see you mention whether or not you drive a manual or not.
If you do, keep in mind that you'll also be needing an upgraded clutch, and may possibly want a short shift kit which would tack onto the price.

Last edited by Locke; 06-09-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 AM

Hi Locke,

Thank you, I've read through the thread and I'm going to PM him now. And yes, I do drive a manual and I know that I will need to upgrade my clutch eventually, if not right away. Thanks again!

Last edited by halosinfire; 06-09-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:54 PM

The Dezod headers are for N/A engines not turbo. Your turbo manifold depends on which turbo housing you need.
Look at this for a little more information
Turbo Tech Basic | Turbobygarrett
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by e3palma
The Dezod headers are for N/A engines not turbo. Your turbo manifold depends on which turbo housing you need.
Look at this for a little more information
Turbo Tech Basic | Turbobygarrett
Hey e3palma,

I figured that by looking at pictures of the Dezod Turbo setup and actually just PM'd Mike at Dezod about that. I figured there was a special turbo manifold because the manifold in the pictures I saw looked completely different. I'll check out that link now to educate myself. Thanks!