Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2011 Scion tC LED Swap (Clock and Gauge *merged*)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i use tweezers... but i also grow out my left hand fingernails a little bit as well if i need more control than tweezers. trust me.. these leds are not small compared to others i have dealt with.

breathe, take a deep breath, and relax. it might take some time to do.. but the biggest thing is be patient and don't rush it.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for anyone else with NO experience doing this, its not the easiest thing. on two leds the surface on the board that solder sticks to came off, was able to fix one but not the other.

and a question. the three LEDs on lower display for mileage, i can not get them to light up. tried relacing with new ones incase i burnt the first ones, and still nothing. any ideas?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

.. you ripped the pads off the circuit board??
too much heat..

the leds that are wired in series/parallel.. if one doesn't work in a series, the rest in that series will not work.

as far as what it could be? exactly? could be one led doesn't work (or two.. or all three)... or you messed up the circuit board... besides those.. there's not much else.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pads came off i believe because the solder wasnt completely seperated from leds and i yanked on it. and do you know which one is first in line in the series? i noticed when i hit one side of some leds it lit up some of the leds, and i know one of em did.

and the bad part, the middle of those 3 was one where pad came off. any way to still get current through to light up the last in the line?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

repair it... make jumpers from one part to another if you really ripped the pad and cant get a connection.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dmcpeak
This gauge swap tutorial says you need 19 LED's but the actual tutorial only shows switching 12. Is that to provide extra's or are there actually 19 LED's to be swapped?
19 Are shown in the Gauge cluster swap tutorial:

7-Tach
7-Speedometer
3-Odometer/MPG/Trip Gauge
2-Fuel

---------
Originally Posted by goose_119
for anyone else with NO experience doing this, its not the easiest thing. on two leds the surface on the board that solder sticks to came off, was able to fix one but not the other.

and a question. the three LEDs on lower display for mileage, i can not get them to light up. tried relacing with new ones incase i burnt the first ones, and still nothing. any ideas?

Gotta take it slow if its your first swap. The key is know how to control the heat and always work on them like its your only chance and you cannot order a new one. Previous soldering experience helps tons. One of the reasons I recommend using the soldering gun in the tutorial is that you can use it to push the LEDs and you don't end up ripping off the solder pads.

I havent been on Scionlife much lately but if you get into a bind and need some help you guys feel free to email me at Contact@sickstick.com and ill be more than happy to give ya some advice.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Blood...u dont happen to have any people in the SoCal area that could do the swap for those of us in need, would u?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill have to find someone to help me out with part where i ripped off pad, but i lost the two displays showing gear and mileage.

buuut, overall, very happy with new looks

Old 10-20-2011, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's sexy, thats what I want with my black tc. Can you post the link to what leds you bought? And is that at its brightest setting?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just went to oznium as suggested in tutorial. and thats headlights off brightness. its plenty bright
Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't want to do this on my own. can I pay someone in San Diego to do this for me?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

you're in a military town... talk to the navy guys there and see if you can find someone... or talk to friends.. or buy an iron at Fry's.. and maybe a practice soldering kit there too.

btw.. photos never are accurate when it comes to lighting.. the photo above is really overexposed... (aka... it isn't that bright)

as far as socal is concerned... i have few friends i know down there (i'll ask)..
and many folks who wait until i make a visit (one buddy waited over 2 years until we finally got a schedule that worked for both of us.. )
Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

good looking out SquallL...

i've been able to solder some other things to give me practice (HVAC leds, window button led, shifter leds, strip leds for the glove box...mainly big stuff) so im getting a somewhat good feel...

i might just have to man up and try to swap the gauge myself. its the only thing left!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

the gauges aren't as bad in my opinion. just re-aligning the needles is really the only non-soldering thing that would remotely give someone trouble... and even then that's not bad at all.

soldering small leds?? ehh.. takes some practice... but it really isn't too hard once you get the hang of it.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^still need a practice on soldering smell LEDS. A/C botton light is not workin. mess it up, i think... ahaahaha
Old 10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
the gauges aren't as bad in my opinion. just re-aligning the needles is really the only non-soldering thing that would remotely give someone trouble... and even then that's not bad at all.

soldering small leds?? ehh.. takes some practice... but it really isn't too hard once you get the hang of it.
my main problem with solder is i dont have the feel yet...in my opinion...i leave the solder on too long...or in the wrong spot. either way, i feel like i take too much time on it and im scared that i'm going to burn the board (either by leaving it on too long...or being in the wrong spot so i have keep putting the solder on the board more than i need to)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 PM

Do any of you guys know where I can find pink led lights for my gauges. Id really appreciate it thanks
Old 10-22-2011, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found some for the gauges, but if you want to do your whole dash pink, the other leds might be slightly difficult to find.

link to leds for gauges. http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2
Old 10-22-2011, 11:39 PM

^^ thanks well I just would like to just the 2 gauges pink. So with these leds I need to take the dash off right
Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not the whole dash just a couple pieces from the dash. So you can get to the gauges.

Quick Reply: 2011 Scion tC LED Swap (Clock and Gauge *merged*)