Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alpine Head Unit Defect

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call or do an IM session with Scion. Tell them your problem and what dealer you went to. They will contact the dealer for you.

You can also have the dealer call South East Toyota. Region knows about it.

Last, have the service manager put something in writing that they determined your radio to be in proper working condition, along with the tests they ran to make that determination. It should either be a written document with the dealer's letterhead and his signature/title at the bottom, or an email from his work email address. In reality, he won't provide you anything in writing. Your confidence will make him nervous and he'll make a phone call or two and realize you were right!

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
Call or do an IM session with Scion. Tell them your problem and what dealer you went to. They will contact the dealer for you.

You can also have the dealer call South East Toyota. Region knows about it.

Last, have the service manager put something in writing that they determined your radio to be in proper working condition, along with the tests they ran to make that determination. It should either be a written document with the dealer's letterhead and his signature/title at the bottom, or an email from his work email address. In reality, he won't provide you anything in writing. Your confidence will make him nervous and he'll make a phone call or two and realize you were right!

Good luck!
Or just go through corporate and they'll make sure you get taken care of. Calling is your best option
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Scion Cust Svc
SCION CORP
SL Member

^ Calling us would be the quickest and best option. Like others have mentioned, we can always contact the dealership and provide them the right information on your behalf. Sorry for the inconvenience! Please do give us a call: 866-707-2466-- any one of us can help you out!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Firefux
Or just go through corporate and they'll make sure you get taken care of. Calling is your best option
I called and they explained that the dealer would still need to diagnose the problem so I would have to address this at the dealer level. Scion corp did get my information and make a note about it and assigned me a case manager though who is going to call me back.

I'm setting up an appointment now with a much closer dealer to take it in and show them myself, with my bass track in hand, that there is literally no sound coming from the passenger side when the driver side is functioning correctly.

*edit* Actually going in now. Be right back!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jennifer@Scion
^ Calling us would be the quickest and best option. Like others have mentioned, we can always contact the dealership and provide them the right information on your behalf. Sorry for the inconvenience! Please do give us a call: 866-707-2466-- any one of us can help you out!
Good on you for keeping an eye on these threads!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Scion Cust Svc
SCION CORP
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brenex
I called and they explained that the dealer would still need to diagnose the problem so I would have to address this at the dealer level. Scion corp did get my information and make a note about it and assigned me a case manager though who is going to call me back.

I'm setting up an appointment now with a much closer dealer to take it in and show them myself, with my bass track in hand, that there is literally no sound coming from the passenger side when the driver side is functioning correctly.

Sounds good! Glad you called in! I know exactly who you spoke to

I try I'm sure I won't catch everything though, so please feel free to advise people to PM me if you see something we should be aware of!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried that, the dealer kept my car for a day, then told me nothing was wrong with it. Kudos if it works for you, but having corporate call them everyday for a month was what finally got mine fixed.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree I am really impressed thanks Jennifer
Old 09-16-2011, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I said, went in and described the situation I was in and they said they would take it to the back and look for it. The service rep. came back and said that there was something wrong with it and that there was even a "TSB on it" so he wasn't sure why the other dealer wouldn't have picked up on it. I should have known to just take it where we've been taking my mom's prius for the last 5 years >< They get parts in on Tuesday and so it should be taken care of by next Wednesday. Thanks to Toyota of Orlando and Scion Corp all around!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Scion Cust Svc
SCION CORP
SL Member

As I said, went in and described the situation I was in and they said they would take it to the back and look for it. The service rep. came back and said that there was something wrong with it and that there was even a "TSB on it" so he wasn't sure why the other dealer wouldn't have picked up on it. I should have known to just take it where we've been taking my mom's prius for the last 5 years >< They get parts in on Tuesday and so it should be taken care of by next Wednesday. Thanks to Toyota of Orlando and Scion Corp all around!
That's awesome Glad to hear Toyota of Orlando is handling it!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member

I went in today for some complimentary servicing and I mentioned how I have the Alpine headunit problem. After they inspected my car, the service rep basically told me they were going to order a new one for me from Toyota. But the rep sounded weary and probably thought I was being prissy and thought there was no problem with it at all. So hopefully I do get the fixed unit and not the same defective one, because either the workers at the dealership that I went to seriously don't know about the Alpine headunit defect, or they are $&@$*!ing me. They claimed they knew nothing about it and I was the first to complain about it to them. I bought my car February 2011 and today was the first time I've brought it up.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your best bet is to have them give you a new unit then replace it with a real unit from Pioneer or whatnot. The Alpine unit is just horrible for sound quality. Sell the Alpine unit online or store it.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:53 AM

so did the dealership give u an updated alpine HU or the pioneer one?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

Just got mine replaced today. To me, it sounds so much better now
Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xander451
Just got mine replaced today. To me, it sounds so much better now
Glad you like it!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM

I want to buy a 2010 Alpine PT545-00102 does anyone know if the unit will have this defect ?

Or does the tC mode defect only apply to the OT545-0111 2011 version?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The 2010 model radios dont have a setting for the 2011 tC, which means that your 2 low end speakers wont work at all.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks for quick reply.
They only added the 2 low end speakers in the 2011 tC, and the 2010 tC didn't have any low end speakers. Is this correct?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this problem also transfers over to aftermarket speakers and amps that use the rca preouts. i've noticed this problem for some time now but am just going to get an after market part as they don't have these radios in their cars anymore... just upset i was forced into buying this hu from the dealership and now i have to replace it anyways.