Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alpine Head Unit Defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alpine "upgrade" sound system...

Originally Posted by Scion Canada
Hi All,

I took a trip to the Vehicle Processing Centre this morning to test out a tC with the Alpine Audio upgrade, and brought along our audio/electrical engineer. We were able to confirm that there is most definitely a discrepancy in the frequencies being transmitted to the two "woofers" with the Alpine HU set to the tC profile.

The next steps will be to contact Alpine and TMS to see if they can confirm whether this as an issue or an intended characteristic of the tC sound profile.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Colin
I noticed this problem last night while testing out the system with several different CDs. I just purchased the car a few days ago, and I'm hoping that Scion is going to address this soon. Hopefully it's fixable with a "firmware" upgrade to the unit - maybe with a CD that will update the software in the head unit. The 'tc' setting is definitely messed up. Muddy sound - uneven in the front between the left and right. Very disappointing considering this is supposed to be a premium upgrade. I've also noticed that I need to set the treble control all the way to +5 to get clear vocals. I like the treble bumped up a bit, but it should NOT be necessary to max it out like this.

I also find it very annoying that the settings stay the same between the different sources (CD, AM, FM, HD Radio, etc.) My 10-year-old Sony aftermarket unit in my old Honda has none of these issues, and sounds much better playing through 6" JBL speakers with only 40 watts. Very clean. What the hell happened here??? Please keep me updated - I'm definitely bringing this to my dealer's attention as well. Thanks, everyone for your input. Great forum.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, you are not the only one! Mine may just get a sony Xploid H.U. I figure Scion can have the Alpine back and install some drop springs in for the price difference. doubt they would go for that though.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

A bit of an update for everyone...

Tested out several tCs, and confirmed that this is happening with several different Alpine units. We even busted out the decibel meter! Reports have been filed with both TMS and Alpine, and I hope to have some more updates for everyone later today (Cali isn't awake yet ).

Colin

Last edited by Scion Canada; 01-21-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 PM

apologies for this not quite being in the right thread, but everyone here has the same radio i do. Every time i cut the car off and start it back up. my radio always defaults back to the tuner. i have to manually hit usb every time. Does anybody know if there's a way around this?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Hey I just ordered a TC and told them I want the Alpine thought it would be nice to have the HD radio. Should I tell them to forget it and just get an after market unit like I did for my 2005 tc?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grandmasridehome
apologies for this not quite being in the right thread, but everyone here has the same radio i do. Every time i cut the car off and start it back up. my radio always defaults back to the tuner. i have to manually hit usb every time. Does anybody know if there's a way around this?
Mine actually did that at one point with the first USB drive I was using with it. I purchased a new USB drive simply because I wanted to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb and it no longer does it...

Try reformatting the drive with your computer and put a fresh batch of music on there. Maybe that will fix it... Or it could have to do with the size of the drive, just like me switching from 4gb to 8gb and the problem going away...
Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 PM

1st has anyone heard anything else about the issue with the alpine unit?

2nd has anyone heard both the Pioneer and the Alpine unit I would like to know if there is much of a sound difference. The dealer I go to does not have a radio in any of the scions on the lot.

Thanks, MJ
Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

I am hoping to have an update for everyone this afternoon, or tomorrow morning...

The dealer doesn't have any radios in the vehicles? The are a port-installed item... each vehicle should be equipped with one of the HUs by the time it reaches the dealer.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am hoping to have an update for everyone this afternoon, or tomorrow morning...
I look forward to hearing what you find out. The complete change in story from my dealer is...interesting. Going from "Toyota told us it's designed that way" to "Toyota corporate checked tCs they have there and didn't have the problem" makes me wonder.

And in other news, took my car in for the 5K mile service this morning. After about 10 min of waiting, my service person came out with a question.
Barbara: "Mr Hardy, did you happen to remove the engine cover from your tC?"
Me: "There's supposed to be an engine cover?"
Barbara: "Yeah... We'll get one ordered for you."

Now, I'd happily trade in an engine cover for a 2nd reverse light, but my car came with neither. I just figured not having an engine cover was a way to cut costs on the tC, but how do the QC guys not notice the big ___ piece of plastic in the middle of the engine is missing?

[sigh] whatever. I just want my stereo to work like it should...
Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's upsetting...I literally took mine in for my 5k mile service yesterday and they said nothing of it.

Plleeeeeaaassseee post a photo of what that engine cover looks like when they get it in. I assumed that's what the engine was supposed to look like. I even googled photos of the engine and they all looked like mine!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm interesting story about the engine cover.

Scion should have waited a month or two before releasing the car. I don't get how all these things passed them by without their noticing.

Anyways, I've got the basic Pioneer system and it works fine. I think I just need to fix up the equalizer to fetch some sounds, but FM equalizer is different from my USB equalizer is diffierent from my CD equalizer. So to answer one of your questions the basic head unit saves the presets for each of the inputs.

Any way we can start a petition to have the 2nd reverse light installed by the dealer? ;)
Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
That's upsetting...I literally took mine in for my 5k mile service yesterday and they said nothing of it.

Plleeeeeaaassseee post a photo of what that engine cover looks like when they get it in. I assumed that's what the engine was supposed to look like. I even googled photos of the engine and they all looked like mine!
Weird... The parts dept was having a tough time finding the part to order (actually was still working it when I left), so we went out and looked at another tC sitting on the lot to make sure it was SUPPOSED to have the cover. The one we picked had the engine cover. Went from right behind the heat shield on the headers, over the engine block, around the oil cap and back over the spark plugs. Said something to the effect of "VVT-i" I believe.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep us posted, I'll go play the annoying customer and get one from my dealership if it'S supposed to come with the car.

BTW, I went to the dealer this morning to see if they sold 7440 sockets, and saw their demo tC with a stubby antenna stock. Asked them about it and they said it came stock with the car.. something I don't have. I don't get this, what's Scion up to?

(maybe we should start another thread for the engine cover)
Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine Cover...

That is really disappointing. I asked about this when I purchased my car, and was told that the new model didn't have one. What the heck is going on here with Scion? I had the parts manager at my dealership look it up, and he told me the Camry with the same engine has a Toyota engine cover, but the 2011 Scion doesn't. What's with this second back-up light problem? I haven't noticed it. Is only one of them working? Sounds like Scion rushed out this new model before the kinks were worked out.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM

The dealer doesn't have any radios in the vehicles? The are a port-installed item... each vehicle should be equipped with one of the HUs by the time it reaches the dealer.
Well the dealer I go to just has a piece of cardboard siting in the place the radio goes so I was not able to hear what the stock one sounds like. The cardboard pictures on button does not work. They have the picture of the alpine unit on the cardboard. Its like this on all the Scions on the lot.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
Weird... The parts dept was having a tough time finding the part to order (actually was still working it when I left), so we went out and looked at another tC sitting on the lot to make sure it was SUPPOSED to have the cover. The one we picked had the engine cover. Went from right behind the heat shield on the headers, over the engine block, around the oil cap and back over the spark plugs. Said something to the effect of "VVT-i" I believe.
Whoa guys, lets take a second to get back on track.

Look in the brochure, then check Scion.com (or Scionnation.ca if in Canada) and you will find that the car does NOT come with an engine cover.

If your dealer is showing them installed on vehicles, its because they have determined the extremely obvious...that we have the same engine as that of a Camry! The engine cover from a Camry will fit, but it has the Toyota logo on it. Looks silly in my opinion and serves no purpose what so ever.

Remember, there is a big difference between dealers and manufacturers.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by MightyP
I look forward to hearing what you find out. The complete change in story from my dealer is...interesting. Going from "Toyota told us it's designed that way" to "Toyota corporate checked tCs they have there and didn't have the problem" makes me wonder.

And in other news, took my car in for the 5K mile service this morning. After about 10 min of waiting, my service person came out with a question.
Barbara: "Mr Hardy, did you happen to remove the engine cover from your tC?"
Me: "There's supposed to be an engine cover?"
Barbara: "Yeah... We'll get one ordered for you."

Now, I'd happily trade in an engine cover for a 2nd reverse light, but my car came with neither. I just figured not having an engine cover was a way to cut costs on the tC, but how do the QC guys not notice the big ___ piece of plastic in the middle of the engine is missing?

[sigh] whatever. I just want my stereo to work like it should...
did they check another 2011 or a 2010 tc? I cant find a picture or a review or anything of one with a cover. Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't want us to get too off-topic on this thread here lol
Old 01-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1stOne
Whoa guys, lets take a second to get back on track.

Look in the brochure, then check Scion.com (or Scionnation.ca if in Canada) and you will find that the car does NOT come with an engine cover.

If your dealer is showing them installed on vehicles, its because they have determined the extremely obvious...that we have the same engine as that of a Camry! The engine cover from a Camry will fit, but it has the Toyota logo on it. Looks silly in my opinion and serves no purpose what so ever.

Remember, there is a big difference between dealers and manufacturers.
i cant find a picture of the engine on either scion site.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, all, my bad. I actually derailed my own thread. I only brought up the engine cover thing here because I didn't think it warranted it's own thread. Rather, I wanted to highlight the general lack of knowledge dealers seem to have regarding the new tC.

I'll swing by my dealer on my way home tonight (if I remember) and get a picture. Maybe my dealer did just decide to add the Toyota engine cover...

Quick Reply: Alpine Head Unit Defect