Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Back Up Camera tC2+

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:21 PM

Default Back Up Camera tC2+

Hello,

I am trying to figure out to install a back up camera for my 2015 tC. Anyone ever install one? If so, what exactly do I need to get to be able to install it?
I have been searching for two days and i cannot find anyone talking about what exactly they used and if it was possible. Much appreciated to anyone who can help.

-Bill

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-18-2015, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazon.com: 2014-15 Scion Backup Camera Kit - Plug and Play for Display Audio Radios!: Automotive Amazon.com: 2014-15 Scion Backup Camera Kit - Plug and Play for Display Audio Radios!: Automotive
Old 11-19-2015, 06:15 PM
SL Member

I think this is what you're looking for. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on this kit as well!

https://camera-source.com/scion-disp...amera-kit.html
Old 01-01-2016, 02:18 AM

I just did this today using the camera source kit. Easy to set up, it's the running of the wire that's a _____. Took me half of day with some breaks. Enjoying it so far!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 15sciontcblizzardbearl
I just did this today using the camera source kit. Easy to set up, it's the running of the wire that's a _____. Took me half of day with some breaks. Enjoying it so far!
can you post some photos?.. or video? id love to see..
Old 01-05-2016, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Freevegan
can you post some photos?.. or video? id love to see..
definitely. what are you looking for? just what it looks like on car, on dash? I can take some tomorrow when it's light out.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

definitely. what are you looking for? just what it looks like on car, on dash? I can take some tomorrow when it's light out.
(also.. i have a 2016 Scion tC Pearl White =]] )

photo of how the back up camera looks near the license plate, (from close and a bit behind) see how noticeable it looks.

and yes, a few of inside of the dash when its in reverse mode.. thanks for this, i just got a 2016 Scion tC and i been actually thinking of getting this.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 PM

Car twins! I'm loving the white to be honest. I've always had dark cars and actually wanted a black tC. I'm actually glad they only had white and gave me a good deal to take the white.

Anyways, here are the pictures and a video. I don't know how to post pictures on the forum so I uploaded them to a photobucket account and left some comments on each one. Pictures and Video

My only complaint is that the camera is useless at night. Can't see anything behind you with it. Not enough light from the tail lights to make it useful.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car twins! I'm loving the white to be honest. I've always had dark cars and actually wanted a black tC. I'm actually glad they only had white and gave me a good deal to take the white.

Anyways, here are the pictures and a video. I don't know how to post pictures on the forum so I uploaded them to a photobucket account and left some comments on each one. Pictures and Video

My only complaint is that the camera is useless at night. Can't see anything behind you with it. Not enough light from the tail lights to make it useful.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.
its funny cause i was either going to pick the black or the white tC, and i fell in love with the pearl white and said 400$ isnt nothing over 5 year term.

not happy hearing that its useless at night.. thats one of the main reasons i want it, especially cause at work i reverse into my parking spot and its still dark haha.

but thank you a lot for all the photos/video.. i seen it.. can you tell me where you ran your wiring? also thanks a lot!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2016, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Freevegan
its funny cause i was either going to pick the black or the white tc, and i fell in love with the pearl white and said 400$ isnt nothing over 5 year term.

not happy hearing that its useless at night.. thats one of the main reasons i want it, especially cause at work i reverse into my parking spot and its still dark haha.

but thank you a lot for all the photos/video.. i seen it.. can you tell me where you ran your wiring? also thanks a lot!!

Here are two pics of the camera at night. I guess it's not terrible if you're in a lighted parking lot. Out of driveway it's useless but I also have a dark driveway. You can be the judge!

Name:  IMG_6107.jpg
Views: 4518
Size:  138.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6108.jpg
Views: 4427
Size:  149.7 KB

As far as the wire goes, I started behind the radio, went under the steering wheel down the to the plastic piece near the driver side door. If you pop that up, all your wires are run down it. I snapped it into place with others, came up the seatbealt plastic to the plastic molding/carpet on the roof, I cut across to the middle of the car to find the rubber leading into the trunk then tried to go through that rubber (I couldn't do it). Once in the trunk, I removed the plastic all around and ran the wire around the trunk through the newly drilled hole. I used zip ties in the trunk to hold it with other wires.

I'll post a video tomorrow, meant to get one today but had a meeting after work. But wanted to at least give you an idea. Running the wire, as a I said, was the most time consuming and frustrating parts. It took me a while to get the best path to where I wanted to go.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:55 PM

I purchased a 2016 tC last night and didn't even realize there was no rear view camera. While I am no expert by any means, I am fairly certain you don't need to spend $150 on those connections to install a rear camera. You should be able to add a few connections to the factory wiring. I actually did this to my 2013 Corolla with a factory display radio and it worked fine. If you're not in a hurry and if no one has posted how to do this, I can post in the near future. You can actually go search at the toyotanation forum and look under 10th gen Corolla section and you should be able to find what I'm talking about. Most of these radios share the same wiring.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnnya005
I purchased a 2016 TC last night and didn't even realize there was no rear view camera. While I am no expert by any means, I am fairly certain you don't need to spend $150 on those connections to install a rear camera. You should be able to add a few connections to the factory wiring. I actually did this to my 2013 Corolla with a factory display radio and it worked fine. If you're not in a hurry and if no one has posted how to do this, I can post in the near future. You can actually go search at the toyotanation forum and look under 10th gen Corolla section and you should be able to find what I'm talking about. Most of these radios share the same wiring.

For me the $150 was worth for the sole factor of not having to splice into any wires and basically having everything I need for it to work. Yes it can be done cheaper but this kit was literally plug and play. I recently did one on a ford where we had to find reverse wires in the kick plates and tap into the reverse tail light. Comparing my install to theirs Mine was much easier because it was all right there. Yeah you save a few bucks by other ways but for convience this worked for me.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:12 PM

For me the $150 was worth for the sole factor of not having to splice into any wires and basically having everything I need for it to work. Yes it can be done cheaper but this kit was literally plug and play. I recently did one on a ford where we had to find reverse wires in the kick plates and tap into the reverse tail light. Comparing my install to theirs Mine was much easier because it was all right there. Yeah you save a few bucks by other ways but for convenience this worked for me.
Not disagreeing with you, but the process was simple. There were only 4 wires that you needed to connect with the exception of the reverse wire. I'm not sure if that wire is already hooked up in the Scion. On my Corolla, the wire was already there.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Splicing into reverse lights is one option.
I have mine spliced to 12V cigarette lighter.
This enables you to turn on the camera regardless of what gear you're in.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:07 PM

After spending some time looking into this, the 2016 radio appears to have a different connector for the video source. I have been unable to find the proper connection/harness to make this work. Here is a picture of my radio. Are you able to post close up pictures of your radio (front and back)? BTW, I see that $150 harness goes for $20 (china made) on ebay. Same connector/wires.
Attached Thumbnails Back Up Camera tC2+-img_0254.jpg   Back Up Camera tC2+-img_0251.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnnya005
After spending some time looking into this, the 2016 radio appears to have a different connector for the video source. I have been unable to find the proper connection/harness to make this work. Here is a picture of my radio. Are you able to post close up pictures of your radio (front and back)? BTW, I see that $150 harness goes for $20 (china made) on ebay. Same connector/wires.
im glad you found this out before me.. i own a 2016 also
Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM

I also have a 2016 tC and have been thinking about installing back up camera as well. Has anyone able to do it with the new radio? could you maybe post some of the things you bought?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:00 PM

The 2016 FR-S has the connector we need to enable the rear camera feature. That connector is not present on our 2016 tCs. Need to get my hands on one of those, but not sure how. The dealer was not much help as they could not see the individual connectors.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For me the $150 was worth for the sole factor of not having to splice into any wires and basically having everything I need for it to work. Yes it can be done cheaper but this kit was literally plug and play. I recently did one on a ford where we had to find reverse wires in the kick plates and tap into the reverse tail light. Comparing my install to theirs Mine was much easier because it was all right there. Yeah you save a few bucks by other ways but for convience this worked for me.
Camera install looks good, just a heads up you can get the trunk lift handle thing + painted from trdsparks for a little over $100, I messed mine up a tiny bit when pulling the emblem off with a heat gun..

http://www.sparksparts.com/auto-parts/2015/scion/tc/base-trim/2-5l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/exterior-trim-lift-gate-scat

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera tC2+