Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Desperate for insight - 2014 BeSpoke H/U, iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Default Desperate for insight - 2014 BeSpoke H/U, iPod connection

Hey everyone, new member here. I'm desperate to get some information from anyone who has a 2014/15 with the upgraded BeSpoke radio.

Mine is a 2014, and for the most part I love it (2nd Scion...came from an 08 xD). The one thing that has drove me crazy since I bought it last year:

I listen to my iPod the majority of the time I'm in the car, but what I found out early on was that if I shut the car off while the iPod is playing....and then start it up again (doesn't matter if it's 5 seconds or 5 hours), the music will not start playing again until I switch to another source and then come back to iPod. Typically, while the BeSpoke logo is on the screen, I'll hear the music attempt to play for about a second or so, and then nothing.

The one question that I hope to get some input on: does this happen to anyone else, or does your music start playing again when you start the car again?

Just some quick background: I have taken to the car to the dealer 3 times, including twice at the one from which I purchased the car, and also a different one. I have also spent time on the phone with Scion. During one of the trips to the dealer, I took my iPod into the showroom and asked if I can test it in the car on the floor since it had the same radio. I did and it seemed to work no problem. This led to them installing a brand new radio for me, but it still didn't solve the problem. To this day, the only answer I got from every source is that supposedly the design should only allow it to be off for 5 minutes and pick back up, and then after that it's not supposed to play again.

To this I've asked: Then why doesn't mine start playing again even if I just shut it off for 10 seconds? and also, then why if I turn it back on after being off for a couple hours, does the music clearly try to start playing and then abruptly stop? I've received no direct answers and instead continue to be roped into the cycle: "Call Scion about it"..."Take it to the dealer"..."Oh, you need to call Scion again", etc.

Seeing as the h/u was completely replaced, it seems to me that the only logical explanation from there is something regarding the actual USB port/wiring, but yet the dealer seems reluctant to check. I've tried 3 different iPods ranging from my current newest-generation Touch, to my first gen Touch, to my wife's 4th gen Nano....same result with all of them.

Any insight/input would be highly appreciated!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, I don't have a real answer to your question, since my car have the h/u without Be Spoke . This is only a suggestion: since you mention that maybe the issue is on your USB port, why you don't try your I-pod using the Bluetooth instead? I have an aftermarket Satellite radio in my car installed, but when I use my I-pod, I always use it via Bluetooth, since is more practical.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. My issue with that possibility is that I do keep my phone connected to the Bluetooth while I'm driving for call purposes (and the occasional internet radio streaming), and unless I've just totally missed something....I don't believe you can have two devices wirelessly connected at the same time.

Believe me...any input or suggestions is great. I'm just really hoping that someone can confirm whether or not they have this issue, just mostly so that I can take another run at Scion, only this time be able to definitively tell them....yes, I reached out and confirmed with other owners that it doesn't happen for them.

Thanks again!