Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY: Stopping rattle in drivers door.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a case number with scion corporate and I'm supposed to take it to the dealership to get it checked out but my local dealership is packed all the time so I don't know when I'll have the chance to take it in to get it checked out.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 PM

If it's the vibration in the doors, use silicon to reduce or maybe even stop it. I took out the switches and put silicon around it and now there's no more vibrations. I did this for both doors. I have the base pioneer unit. Settings are on xB or xD I don't remember. Treble 5, bass 0. I hope this helped somehow.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 AM
SL Member

Default How can I fix the rattling doors?

I swear everytime the bass in a song kicks, all I hear is my doors going crazy, I feel like it is gonna come off. I didn't care for them at first, but this girl sat in my car, and she actually said "what is wrong with your doors?" and that really got to me. I don't know why! haha, I found out if you put your hand on the window and lock buttons when your listening to a song, it doesn't make the rattle noise, I'm sure this is with all TC2's because my friends does it as well. Is there a solution for this? or do I have to stick toilet papers in there to stop the noise.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WellesleyScion posted a fix for that about a year ago. Basically you're correct. Pop off the plastic piece that holds the window controls, fold up a piece of paper and put it on the lip closest to the middle of the car. Stops the rattling almost complety.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
SL Member

Oh wow, thank you! No to find the solution link
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... I'm on my phone. When I get to a computer, I'll see if I can find it.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remember that fix back in the day, but have been too nervous to try and pop the panel off. Which angle do you approach from?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You pop the panel up from the rear. I used a screwdriver and carefully pried the panel up near where the arm rest is. The front has the retaining clips, so you can't pull the panel up near the door handle.

Also, I found the link to the original post. I was hoping it had pictures, but not so much. DIY: Stopping rattle in drivers door
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ramanoto
I swear everytime the bass in a song kicks, all I hear is my doors going crazy, I feel like it is gonna come off. I didn't care for them at first, but this girl sat in my car, and she actually said "what is wrong with your doors?" and that really got to me. I don't know why! haha, I found out if you put your hand on the window and lock buttons when your listening to a song, it doesn't make the rattle noise, I'm sure this is with all TC2's because my friends does it as well. Is there a solution for this? or do I have to stick toilet papers in there to stop the noise.
I am glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. The rattling drives me crazy!! I am going to try the fix once it gets a little warmer up here in Canada. Thank you Mightp for the link!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It really takes like 2mins so you should be able to survive for 2 mins with no gloves on

You can prob even do it with the car heat on and doors closed
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3m sells this tar like substance that works alot better it doesnt run when hot or anything but you only need a tiny bit of it its very stretchy and you just stretch it and run it around its sticky so it will hold itself in place and yet comes off when you need to re remove the panel
Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
SL Member

I don't know, I'm kind of sketched out about this. The link says that there is like 3 people who broke the panels, and now it even rattles more. Has anyone tried calling scion about this? see if it's covered by the warranty? it's a quick fix, but if they mess it up then it's their fault lol.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just use dynomat
Old 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ramanoto
I don't know, I'm kind of sketched out about this. The link says that there is like 3 people who broke the panels, and now it even rattles more. Has anyone tried calling scion about this? see if it's covered by the warranty? it's a quick fix, but if they mess it up then it's their fault lol.
Nah, don't worry about it. Pry up from the rear of the panel and you wont break anything.
Like I've said before in other posts, the first time you pop the panel is the worst.
It sounds and feels like it is going to break... but most-likely, it wont.
I doubt the dealership will fix it... if they even agree to give it a try.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member

I was just at the dealer for the 5k service. I had reported the the window control switch vibrates when the volume is up, but they said there was nothing they could. I even told them how I've read that other dealerships have used "silencing kits" to fix it, or so I've read somewhere else on here.

So they bring my car out to me and it's all wet. I'm like why is it all wet? They tell me they run it through their automatic washer. So now I'm ____ed because I just paid to have the car washed the day before professionally, they run it through their sprinkler and don't even have the decency to dry it off.

I drive off and get a block away and realize they didn't even turn off the maintenance required light.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member

Just posted this in another thread:
I was just at the dealer for the 5k service. I had reported the the window control switch vibrates when the volume is up, but they said there was nothing they could. I even told them how I've read that other dealerships have used "silencing kits" to fix it, or so I've read somewhere else on here.

So they bring my car out to me and it's all wet. I'm like why is it all wet? They tell me they run it through their automatic washer. So now I'm ____ed because I just paid to have the car washed the day before professionally, they run it through their sprinkler and don't even have the decency to dry it off.

I drive off and get a block away and realize they didn't even turn off the maintenance required light.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member

Pics Please! Don't want to break my panel
Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok fine here's some pics of what I did... I am not sure if the paper is in the right location but it seems to work for me. And the paper hasn't fallen out yet and I did this weeks ago.

Pull from bottom, and slide towards back:

Top Clip. DO NOT PULL FROM THIS SIDE!

Fold and put paper here:

Slap it all back on...
That wasn't so hard was it?
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Stopping rattle in drivers door.-img_0303.jpg   DIY: Stopping rattle in drivers door.-img_0304.jpg   DIY: Stopping rattle in drivers door.-img_0307.jpg  

Last edited by dm1336; 01-09-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW. good thing I saw this before I continued trying to pry off that part... I was doing it from the wrong side!!

Thanks man
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally got around to doing this after over a year of listening to the rattling. Used several layers of masking tape around the edges. The panel now pops on snugger than it did before and I hear no rattling. Thank goodness.

Quick Reply: DIY: Stopping rattle in drivers door.