Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Easy Hidden iPod Tutorial

Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile Easy Hidden iPod Tutorial

Here's my first first ever tutorial that will show you how to cleanly hide your iPod in the glove box. No drilling required. This literally took less than 15 minutes. I hope someone finds this information useful.

First remove the passenger console side panel. Start at the left side and pull to the right:

Then remove the shifter bezel. Remove this panel by pulling up:

Disconnect the wiring harness from the USB/AUX plug. Remove the USB/AUX plug by squeezing the clips on the side and pushing the plug through the bezel from the inside of the bezel to the outside. Reconnect the wiring harness and plug your iPod cable into the USB/AUX plug. Hide the USB/AUX plug wherever you want and route the iPod cable to the glove box:

I removed the glove box to make it easier to fish the iPod cable through:

Here's my iPod Video that I modded to use a 32GB compact flash card sitting in my glove box:

Re-install the panels in the reverse order that you removed them. Make sure to put a blank plug where the USB/AUX input was. I installed fog lights and the fog light button replaces a blank plug. I used the extra blank plug to replace the USB/AUX:

Here's my stock headunit and an obligatory pic of my ride. Now enjoy a clutter free console!

Last edited by clintox; 10-28-2011 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Added pic of headunit.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice! specially the fact that no drillin was involved...

you have pictures of your fog light switches? you have EOM foglights or after market? Thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No pictures yet. I got the cheaper kit of the two kits on TRD Sparks. I will take some pics when I finish the install.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks did this today on my lunch break.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can i get the extra plugs ??
Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet I know what I'm doing today!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member

[EDIT] -FIXED

hey, so i tried doing the hidden ipod tutorial, i ran the cables towards in between the passenger seat and cupholders. My iphone cable works fine, but the AUX input sound gets really spotty. turns mono, really muted, and occasionally just from one speaker side.

So i took it apart again, and essenitally what im doin gis moving around the usb/aux adapter around in the right position to find the position where the sound is sounding correct. Unforuntely this does not seem to be many spots, the one spot that does seem to give me correct sound, is the origional position it was in, upwards. This however doesnt quite work when i cover the center console back up...

Any thoughts issues i should look into? I am essenitally just moving cables around, and when the aux cable itself is next to the cables coming out from the adapter, seems to be better, but after i tried settling it into a good spot, driving around, causes occasional sound drops, etc. (obviously cause its moving)

Again, the ipod / usb cable side of things dont seem to act weird, I am assuming its something with the aux part of the wires crimping or bending etc. But lookin for any more solutions to what I can do, otherwise i might just put it back in its original position. :/

Last edited by encity5; 02-15-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by encity5
[EDIT] -FIXED

hey, so i tried doing the hidden ipod tutorial, i ran the cables towards in between the passenger seat and cupholders. My iphone cable works fine, but the AUX input sound gets really spotty. turns mono, really muted, and occasionally just from one speaker side.

So i took it apart again, and essenitally what im doin gis moving around the usb/aux adapter around in the right position to find the position where the sound is sounding correct. Unforuntely this does not seem to be many spots, the one spot that does seem to give me correct sound, is the origional position it was in, upwards. This however doesnt quite work when i cover the center console back up...

Any thoughts issues i should look into? I am essenitally just moving cables around, and when the aux cable itself is next to the cables coming out from the adapter, seems to be better, but after i tried settling it into a good spot, driving around, causes occasional sound drops, etc. (obviously cause its moving)

Again, the ipod / usb cable side of things dont seem to act weird, I am assuming its something with the aux part of the wires crimping or bending etc. But lookin for any more solutions to what I can do, otherwise i might just put it back in its original position. :/
I think you might need to shield your wiring. I am not using the AUX input, just the USB input. However, sometimes the sound will cut out when I take my car out of park and put it into drive. When I get around to shielding the iPod cable I will post whether it solved this problem or not.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ruben7475
where can i get the extra plugs ??
any tips on where these can be had? or a potential toyota part number?

my fogs were installed when i bought the car, so don't have a spare cover to give.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinking about moving mine to the center console. I'll have to extend the wire, but i dont lose aux functionality
Old 04-08-2012, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you mean like near the cup holders? or inside the arm rest area?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
you mean like near the cup holders? or inside the arm rest area?
Inside the armrest area. Its where Lexus' have it positioned stock.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I wouldn't mind that. I just want a place where I can put the iPod and leave it without worrying about it being stolen.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Part number for blank plug is 55539-28160-C0. Can be had for just over 4 bucks from trdsparks.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default Nice Hidden Ipod

I liked your tread and photos.

This is off the subject but, what color is your car? Cement?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
SL Member

I just did this. Took me barely ten minutes. I need a plug to fill in the gap, but other wise, went smoothly.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you guys have any pics to share of where you ended up putting your usb/aux plug after you removed it from its original spot? Looking for ideas, anyone kind enough to share plz
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM
SL Member

I kinda left mine dangling to the top right of the shifter. Taped the ipod cord so it wouldn't fall out of the usb port. It would be slightly annoying if you hit a bump and the cord came out haha

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Default Pioneer ALCP-W12U T1819-2012 tC ipod issues

I have my new 2012 tC and have programmed my iPhone 4 to it. The one thing I can't seem to do, and neither can the dealer, is to get my contacts list into the phonebook on the radio. I get to the transferring part and it shows its transferring, but nothing seems to happen for a couple of hours at the longest. I don't have that many contacts so this seems ridiculous. The dealer is stumped, and without getting any contacts in, I can't begin to assign speed dials.
The manual is much help either. Anyone else having these issues?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 AM

How do you keep it from automatically playing the music on your phone but still keeping the phone/bluetooth functionality available?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Easy Hidden iPod Tutorial