Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

I need help with my subwoofer and amp combo decision making!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 AM
SL Member

Default I need help with my subwoofer and amp combo decision making!

I plan on getting an alpine type s 10" sub woofer but i am not sure what amplifier i would need. And it would only be powering the single type s 10" sub. Also to start my project i need a wiring kit preferably kicker (because i know they are quality kits), to withstand the wattage of this system... And i need to know what you think opinion wise, i want to keep everything alpine since i have the alpine head unit that i got when i purchased it. so yeah let me know what you guys think. and i haven't found a small box for that sub woofer either.. so i wouldn't mind you helping me pick one of those.. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alpine Type-S 10" SWS-1043D (300w RMS power handling)
Alpine MRP-M500 Mono Amp (500w x 1 RMS @ 2ohms)

I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but that is your matchup since you seem to be set on the 10" Type S and keeping everything Alpine.

Do you plan on installing this yourself?...or letting a professional handle it? Just use whatever wires they give you as long as they give you at least 4 guage for your power and ground. You won't be running a very high-end system, so you don't need to be too picky with wiring.

Also if you stick with Alpine's recommended enclosure volume for that sub (which you should), you won't be able to get a box that small. You will need to do something custom, which will require some research and skill on your part, or a decent amount of money to pay someone else.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 PM
SL Member

Okay and i would be installing it myself. And what are the differences between the 2 type S 10" subs on the alpine site? one is 2Q+2Q and the other is 4Q+4Q?o.O
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is the impedance that the voice coils present to the sub. Without making things overly complicated, just think of it as lower impedance allows the amp to create more power. Notice the amp creates 300w x 1 RMS at 4 ohms, but it makes 500w x 1 RMS at 2 ohms.

With dual voice coil subs, you generally have two options:
- Wire the coils in parallel, which halves the impedance
- Wire the coils in series, which doubles the impedance

The sub I recommended has two 4 ohm voice coils. When you wire the voice coils in parallel, the impedance is halved and presents a 2 ohm load to the amp. The allows the amp to create it's higher 500w output.

If you were to get the sub that has two 2 ohm voice coils, one of two things would happen:
- You would wire them in parallel and end up with a 1 ohm load at the amp. Since this amp is not stable at 1 ohm, that could be disastrous. The lowest impedance this amp can handle is 2 ohms.
- You would wire them in series and end up with a 4 ohm load at the amp. The amp works fine at 4 ohms, but you would only be seeing 300w RMS when you have the potential to get 500w.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM
SL Member

so with that being said i should purchase the 4Q+4Q sub.. and that amp that you recommended..
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, the SWS-1043D as mentioned above
Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM
SL Member

Okay great man! so if i wired the sub to the amp in a "series" configuration, would a 4 gauge power wire be good, and 500 watt withstanding wire? basically one of the d series wiring kits by kicker..
Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well remember, you want to do parallel. And that kit will do perfectly fine.

Can I recommend that you step up to the Type R (SWR-1043D)? It has better power handling (600w RMS), making it a better match for the amp. It's also not much more expensive.

I have owned three of Alpine's Type R woofers in my day back when I was in high school (damn, getting old lol). I ran two of the older ones back when they could only handle 300w each. Then upgraded to just one of the next generation ones when they increased the power handling to 500w. Now they handle 600w! They are solid woofers.

Check it out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-SWR-1...ht_3630wt_1396

I have purchased all of my audio from eBay...even my current setup. You'd be a fool to pay full MSRP!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2011TCfrenzy
I plan on getting an alpine type s 10" sub woofer but i am not sure what amplifier i would need. And it would only be powering the single type s 10" sub. Also to start my project i need a wiring kit preferably kicker (because i know they are quality kits), to withstand the wattage of this system... And i need to know what you think opinion wise, i want to keep everything alpine since i have the alpine head unit that i got when i purchased it. so yeah let me know what you guys think. and i haven't found a small box for that sub woofer either.. so i wouldn't mind you helping me pick one of those.. Thanks!
Lets start off with the basic question. What do you expect from this system. Do you just want a little bit more low end fill, or do you want to shake?

BLSteve is spot on with recommendations. Except for the eBay, but that's just a personal hatred of mine. I firmly believe that eBay is full of scammers and cheep knock offs. CraigsList too. Again, just personal opinion.

As for a box you have to decide if you want it sealed or ported. Sealed will give a "flatter" response to your frequency range. Ported will sound louder at lower end output, but sacrifice upper frequency.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
SL Member

You don't think the type R would need a bigger amp or 500 watts is good enough, because the type R can do up to 1200 watts rms I think..
Old 09-27-2011, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah, Type R is 600w RMS and 1800w max (max is a waste of a spec...don't pay it any mind). The amp will push it fine.

You should answer Rotz's questions too. Curious what your intentions are. Also, what's your budget (if any?)
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM
SL Member

Rotz- I am interested in low end fill and to beef up my bass, so that it almost makes your ears ring but not soo much to where it rattly my door panels off.. haha and i want a sealed box. SORRY ABOUT THE DELAY OF RESPONSE, IM AT SCHOOL.
BiglilSteve- my budget is probaly 300$ thats a wiring kit, amp, and sub/box. but im willing to pay more if need be. right now i just need to buy my wiring kit and amp. so my dad can help me install it before he leaves tuesday morning.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a single 10 inch 2 ohm alpine type r with a clarion DPX1001.2 (1000 watt) amp. rockford fosgate 4 gauge wiring. for a month or 2 i have a custom fiberglass box (its .88 cf) and it sounds awesome! i had it pushed by the same amp (new)you are wanting and i didn't have it hooked up 10 minutes before i decided it needed more so i put my (older) clarion and let it pound. you will not be disapointed in these subs at all. i dont even have a new one either its the swr-1022d. you can buy one for $100 max and never regret it. i bought 2 and only ended up needing 1. do it!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
SL Member

Cody2005- So you think the amp i want isnt good enough, thats why you put the clarion?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 PM
SL Member

Guys my only worry with the Type R is it is going to take a bigger box than the type S and that means it will take up more trunck space.. :/
Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

SWR-1043D: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SWR-1043D.html
Amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...GM-D7500M.html
Box: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777BB10...x_Style|Ported
Wires: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211ZN3K...atch_Cords|Yes

That's @ $400 without shipping. The price can go up or down, depending mostly on the amp I think. It's a decision between what name brand you want, and how much power do you want. The Pioneer is 400w RMS which I think will be plenty for a single 10 ported.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not that it wasn't good enough. i could just tell i could get way more out of the sub. it didn't sound bad by any means. i just knew the sub would shine better with a bigger amp. its not a bad amp. it all depends on what you want your sound to be like. if you want mild get it. if you get it and want more you can always upgrade eventually.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the type r only needs 1 cf max air space. my box is tiny. i have it in the side fender well. it was kind of expensive. but its not big. im going to get a bigger box made and take up more space. haha. im so worried about anything touching my sub so i dont even use my hatch anymore.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-...item5ae2b219a8 get this wiring kit. the company is awesome. very very affordable. i wish i woulda got this exact kit instead of the one i got. 30-40 bucks cheaper than other wiring too, spend that other money on something else for your system.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The box that is recommended for the Type R isn't THAT much larger than the S. You are already losing a decent amount of trunk space just by going with a standard square box anyway. The extra inch or two per side that the Type R box would require wouldn't kill you...especially to get a better sub with better power handling. Also, make sure you go sealed...the required box is always smaller than ported.

Quick Reply: I need help with my subwoofer and amp combo decision making!