Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

2014 tC exhaust parts...review?....advice?...opinion? Idk I need help heh.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default 2014 tC exhaust parts...review?....advice?...opinion? Idk I need help heh.

Hey all, I'm looking to get some parts for the exhaust system for my baby. I've got an injen CAI, and I'm looking into getting headers, downpipe, mid pipe and cat-back exhaust. For the headers I was going to go with DeZod Red ( http://www.dezod.com/dezod-motorsports/dezod-motorsports-red-headers/dzm003/i-2119533.aspx ) your opinion? For the downpipe and cat-back I was looking at Agency Power ( http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/exhaust-parts-c-4246.html?osCsid=rm3tn7q12af4nua12anqe1aii7 ) I'm also looking for a midpipe but can't find one that isn't for a turbo. Granted I'll live if I can't get one. I'm not a mechanic so forgive me if I ask stupid questions. What would replacing the pully also do?

Side note: I'm not looking to gain much if any horsepower/speed. I bought a Scion not a Buggati and I get that. Just looking to turn it into *my* car.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CrowJenkins
Hey all, I'm looking to get some parts for the exhaust system for my baby. I've got an injen CAI, and I'm looking into getting headers, downpipe, mid pipe and cat-back exhaust. For the headers I was going to go with DeZod Red ( Scion tC 11+ Red Header ) your opinion? For the downpipe and cat-back I was looking at Agency Power ( Exhaust Parts - Agency Power ) I'm also looking for a midpipe but can't find one that isn't for a turbo. Granted I'll live if I can't get one. I'm not a mechanic so forgive me if I ask stupid questions. What would replacing the pully also do?

Side note: I'm not looking to gain much if any horsepower/speed. I bought a Scion not a Buggati and I get that. Just looking to turn it into *my* car.
Everything you listed is subject to opinion on preference. If you like it then get it. In terms of horsepower gains, it advertises some and you're not looking for much but you wont see any. I'm sure a lot of other scion owners with bolt on mods can agree. I don't want to be a "downer" I just like being informed and assume everyone else would want to be as well. You'll see your power bands at different RPM's but that's about it.

Replacing a pulley is intended to increase horsepower, long story short it uses the engine horsepower which allows the operation of the cars accessories. Having a lighter/re-sized pulley ideally draws less power for accessories and more dedicated power towards the wheels. Some say it throws off the timing off of the crank shaft and it's prone to leaking.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your header is your "down pipe". Your mid pipe is after that shouldn't be showing as turbo; down pipe would be the one showing as turbo. Dezod header is as good as it gets for Scions. For the cat back just YouTube different exhausts to hear the sound you're looking for. Agency is great in my opinion. Pulleys are a thumbs down. Don't go down that road. You're doing it right though and have the right mind set. Intake, exhaust, then just lower it and you're set.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to be clear, the crank pulley options for our car don't affect power being sent to accessories. The only way that can happen is if you get a crank pulley with a larger diameter that will in turn cause the belt to turn slower, underdriving the accessories and supposedly sending more power to the wheels.

All of the crank pulley options for our car are OE sized, so your accessories receive all the power they normally would. The only difference is the weight difference in the pulley. An aftermarket pulley would be much lighter, therefor reducing the amount of power required to break inertia and turn the pulley.

^
That's the theory anyway. You'll see plenty of dyno charts from companies that sell pulleys claiming nice power gains from pulley installs, but take it all with a grain of salt. I personally have an NST pulley, and I must say...didn't really feel any different (as with all other bolt-on mods for this car).

OP, I like you though because you're a rare breed. Most people come on here and ask which bolt-ons are the "best" and provides the most "gains". Not you...you understand what this car is, and just want to do some light customizing. I respect that.

Only thing to keep in mind...a catless header (such as the Dezod Red you're eying) is going to make your car very LOUD and RASPY when used with an aftermarket exhaust. This car can be very loud even without swapping the header at all. If that's what you're going for, cool. Just wanted to give you a heads-up.

Yeah...this is a long post, but I am extremely bored at work and needed something to pass the time
Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CrowJenkins
Hey all, I'm looking to get some parts for the exhaust system for my baby. I've got an injen CAI, and I'm looking into getting headers, downpipe, mid pipe and cat-back exhaust. For the headers I was going to go with DeZod Red ( Scion tC 11+ Red Header ) your opinion? For the downpipe and cat-back I was looking at Agency Power ( Exhaust Parts - Agency Power ) I'm also looking for a midpipe but can't find one that isn't for a turbo. Granted I'll live if I can't get one. I'm not a mechanic so forgive me if I ask stupid questions. What would replacing the pully also do?

Just an Opinion, everyone will have there own, but if you want a good sound, get unequal length headers.. Also make sure they are Ceramic coated, so that your engine bay stays cooler, which will help with intake temperatures, and while i doubt you will get more HP, if anything you will likely lose torque, but you will notice the throttle response will be snappier at higher RPM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Just to be clear, the crank pulley options for our car don't affect power being sent to accessories. The only way that can happen is if you get a crank pulley with a larger diameter that will in turn cause the belt to turn slower, underdriving the accessories and supposedly sending more power to the wheels.

All of the crank pulley options for our car are OE sized, so your accessories receive all the power they normally would. The only difference is the weight difference in the pulley. An aftermarket pulley would be much lighter, therefor reducing the amount of power required to break inertia and turn the pulley
Thanks for clearing that up, I should have put bold lettering or capitalized "INTENDED" when referring to crank pulley's