Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Best way to tap into a fuse without losing the cover ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Best way to tap into a fuse without losing the cover ?

I am planning to install LED strips to my 2015 TC, and the panel is super low to the floor mat. I am planning to wire it by using an empty constant fuse slot -> a on/off switch (in case of cops) -> to overhead dome light black wire.

The problem is the fuse box is so low the floor mat, if I use add-a-fuse, I don't think I will have enough room to close the fuse panel cover. And if it does get rainy and icy, I don't want any moisture/water to get in it. So is there a way to tap into a fuse without losing the interior fuse panel cover?

Is there a way to get behind the fuse box and wire a connection to the cold end of an unused fuse slot myself?

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just tap into the cigarette lighter for power. That's the most common spot for this type of mod. Then use any grounding point for the ground wire coming off the switch. My WinJet fogs and footwell lighting are grounded to the same place. Customtc.com makes a toggle switch that fits in the blank panel (tho some dremeling of the blank shroud is necessary for proper fitment).

Name:  IMAG0473.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  262.0 KB
Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Just tap into the cigarette lighter for power. That's the most common spot for this type of mod. Then use any grounding point for the ground wire coming off the switch. My WinJet fogs and footwell lighting are grounded to the same place. Customtc.com makes a toggle switch that fits in the blank panel (tho some dremeling of the blank shroud is necessary for proper fitment).

Hey, thanks for the reply. I want it to light up when the door is opened/unlocked. ( whenever dome light goes on when the car is unlocked or opened, the leds should go on.) I have tapped in to the black wire in the blue dome plug. Does anyone know what gauge this wire is? I don't want to overload it and melt.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It shouldn't cause an issue if you're just adding in led strips, their amp draw is very low, average is about 0.6 amps per meter depending on the intensity/brand. Just do a proper soldering job and you shouldn't run into problems. If you replaced the rest of your dome lights with leds there's even less current draw than with the standard 194's.