Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Got beat by a Volkswagen Wagon last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default Got beat by a Volkswagen Wagon last night

Good evening everyone. I am new to this website and hope to make new friends and to pass time. I just purchased a pre - owned Scion TC about a month ago and wanted to have some fun last Saturday night. My friends and I decided to meet up at a pizza place and decided to test our cars after. The cars I went up against was a Civic SI and Volkswagen Passat wagon. When I raced the VW from a dead stop a couple of times, he just beat me with ease and pulled away every single time. We even did a 30 mile roll and still beat me no matter what I did and how hard I pushed the accelerator. Even my buddy with the civic SI was shocked because the VW edged him and could simply not out run it. I believe the Passat is an 07 and had the 2.0t badge. I know the TC isnt a sports car but shouldn't it have edge in performance being lighter and a bigger 2.5 displacement. Its just shocking that 2 performance sporty cars got beat by a grocery getter wagon.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

isnt that passat turbo'd?
Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a 1.8T Passat Wagon turbo. They can be sleepers!

I had the audi tt diverter valve relocated to the cold side of the IC. Intake, some exhaust work (Mainly loosing about 75lbs of exhaust weight and straight piping), and some other little easy vw turbo tricks. But it would run with v8's all day winning some loosing some.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member

I did research and it is turboed. It has a smaller displacement though and I am pretty sure its much heavier than the TC. VW claims it has 200 hp and 200 tq. I never knew those grocery wagons could be sleepers lol. I know the SI also has 200 hp but it still couldn't beat the Passat decisively.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cause hondas man lol they aren't that fast but everyone tries to suit them up lol
Old 08-22-2015, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member

Agreed lol. But I expected the SI to beat him. Lol oh well. I guess you win some and lose some. How come this forums feels dead? Very few posters lol
Old 08-22-2015, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honda engines are high strung and like to rev high...unfortunately, this is at the expense of torque. That's why the Si is having trouble with the Passat, which is turbo and has a ton more low-end torque.

And yes, this forum is dead. It used to really thrive back in 2010-2011 when the tC2 first came out. Unfortunately, the tC just didn't really catch on with consumers...and as a result, it didn't catch on with aftermarket suppliers either.

It's too bad because there used to be some really awesome builds by really smart and innovative owners. They have pretty much all gotten rid of their tCs for better cars. I think the only legit OG build left is KidJustin's. He's really hanging in there. Now I just like to drop in every once in awhile when I am bored.

Now adays, Facebook tC2 pages are much busier than forums...which shows you exactly the type of people that own tCs now lol.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member

The TC is generally a slow car to begin with. Unless you put ALOT of work into the car its pretty much going to stay that way. I love my TC RS7. Its a good looking car and its super fun to drive, but I didn't buy it because it was fast or to race it or any of that crap. Just drive the car and enjoy it. Who cares if its a slow as all hell. It's still a damn sexy car.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve

And yes, this forum is dead. It used to really thrive back in 2010-2011 when the tC2 first came out. Unfortunately, the tC just didn't really catch on with consumers...and as a result, it didn't catch on with aftermarket suppliers either.

It's too bad because there used to be some really awesome builds by really smart and innovative owners. They have pretty much all gotten rid of their tCs for better cars. I think the only legit OG build left is KidJustin's. He's really hanging in there. Now I just like to drop in every once in awhile when I am bored.

Now adays, Facebook tC2 pages are much busier than forums...which shows you exactly the type of people that own tCs now lol.
Word
Old 09-15-2015, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default Passat Wagons

Passat 2.0L Turbo is a quick car. Depending on the year, it'll be able to beat a tC off the line in a drag. The real reason this car is so fast is the gearbox, in its last or later years of the Passat Wagon, it came with a DSG Dual Clutch transmission. If you had a 14 or new refresh tC with the faster automatic out of the FRS, you might of had a better shot. At the end of the day a smaller more powerful engine both hp/tq with a manual transmission controlled by a computer is quite a combo. Also to consider this car's base price is almost 10 grand more then a tC, so..eh money talks? lol

If you want to see a fast sleeper, the 3.6L version of the passat wagon had 280 HP. The germans make some fine station wagons.