2011-____ [ANT20]

Introducting, Scion #4

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Introducting, Scion #4

That's right, 4th Scion. I've got issues I know.

Started the life with a 05xB, then a 08 tC, then a 11 xB, and now this:

2014 Monogram 6spd. I'm 30 years old, and this is my first brand new car. So pretty happy about that. I was going to get a "spec/standard" tC, but decided since I work for Toyota in Georgetown (where we build Camry's, Avalons, and Venza's) and get about 3K off the tC I'd get the top of the line for once.

Trying to figure out cost of D2 coilovers vs. Springs + adjustable shocks. Once I hear back from the Koni rep I am going to see cost on a custom set of Koni Yellows. (Koni is located in Hebron KY, which is very near where I used to live. And my friend Cody's shop Endurance Motorsports, has been building a relationship with one of the engineer's there. Hopefully they are interested in building them for the mass public.)

Kinda wanted to stay away from Coilovers to prevent me from putting the car on it's frame for once. BUT I tried that with my 2nd gen xB too. Ended up buying Racelands 3 months after putting DF210's on them.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like your car isn't staying stock for long. Haha look forward to seeing what you do with your new ride.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You do have a problem lol...welcome!

Good luck getting shocks/struts for this car. I'm not holding my breath for anything.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To be honest, neither am I. Chances are, I'll end up with D2's anyhow.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Custom I feel like would out cost coils..and if a strut goes out you have to have another custom made. But idk lol. Car looks nice and I see you love scions to sick with them haha

Sent from JARVIS
Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well couldn't get a hold of the Koni rep, so I went ahead and ordered a set of Racelands. (3rd set I've put on a car, never had bad luck with them) But that being said, should be here Wednesday. Doubt I'll get them on this weekend since I have to work Saturday, and only gives me Sunday off.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wake up early Sunday lol

Sent from JARVIS
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zerosky
Just wake up early Sunday lol

Sent from JARVIS
Dude, I work until at LEAST 2am and up to 4am. Waking up early any day for me is 12pm.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ready to get down. Went ahead and pulled the bottom collar on the front to get that extra 1/2" of drop.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member

You got the exact same car as I do. Love the cement color.

Any body know how to fix interior scratches on the plastic door panel? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Racelands on, and maxed.

Fronts: All the way down, with the bottom "locking" collar removed.
Rears: Perches in, with locking collar removed, and maxed all the way down like fronts.

Ease of install: Quick and easy once I overcame my mental block on installing the rear shocks properly. (Put the shock mounts together backwards twice.) Brand new car with no rust or corrosion on any of the bolts, is a luxury I've never experienced. And thankfully, unlike the tc1, you don't have to remove the rear seats and trim panels to access the shocks mounts. That's a time savor!

Review: This isn't my first set of Racelands, so I know going in what to expect. Ride quality is pretty good. To compare them to the tc1 they feel more firm. And too the xb2, they are also a bit more firm. However, they aren't supper firm to the point where they make the ride a little more harsh on daily driving.

The handling is GREATLY improved. Going to my friends garage to install them, you get to blast through some nice curvy KY hills and roads. On the way there, the car was a bit floaty over crest of hills, and the body rolled a little too much for my likings. But on the way back through with the Racelands on, the car was much more flat, and spots where it was floaty, it was planted. There is still a bit of body roll (as I have a 14 and not the 15 with better underbracing), but nothing like there was. Car was very predictable, and braking had a noticeable improvement as well.

As far as cruising at 45-60mph on a 2 lane bypass/city road was comfortable. No complaints for daily driving.

Around the end of March, I'll really get to put these to the paces. We always take our annual trip to the Smokey Mountains in Gatlinburg TN, and if you know anything about the area, its only about 30 minutes to US129 Tail of the Dragon. A road considered by many to be one of the best driving roads in America. And I'll contest, it's pretty damn good. Think the stats are 300 turns in 11 miles up/down a tight mountain road. I put my xB2 through the paces there and took me around 8-9 minutes to do the run at 6am. (Not the best light, and a few slicks spots from morning dew)

So whats next for the tC? Things I'm considering: OEM C/F Hood, Wheels and tires, possibly dropping to a 17" with some sticky icky tires, intake of some sort (maybe optimizing the OEM air box, or getting a SRI, Supporting suspension mods. (probably upgrading a few bushings, sway bars, strut bars, Upper Rear Control Arm a must)

Whatever I get next, I'll do the same as I did for the Racelands. Give a honest review of the part. Oh and I'll try to take some better photos for what is Tomorrow for me (2nd shift life) or later in the evening for you.
Attached Thumbnails Introducting, Scion #4-wp_20140927_15_51_48_pro-1.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Monogram TC by ©DESYphotowerks, on Flickr

Once me neighbor brings me a CF Card reader, I'll be able to edit some rolling shots from yesterday as well.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 AM

I think I may have seen you in the Rosslyn/ Arlington area.. I'm that other 2014 cement gray with the blackedit nose.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doubt it, I live in Georgetown, and haven't been past Lexington since buying this car. Usually can't get out much since I work 2nd shift at Toyota, so maybe you've seen it around there? Either way, you'll know it's me until my tags arrive. Can't be any other slammed tC2 with temp tags around here. lol And I know there probably isn't another Monogram Cement tC near me either, more so slammed.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-06-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by stenger

Ready to get down. Went ahead and pulled the bottom collar on the front to get that extra 1/2" of drop.
I cant view your pic.
what do you mean you pulled the bottom collar?
Im thinking of getting some racelands
Old 10-06-2014, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where there were two collars on the bottom of the spring (one for the spring to rest on, another to "lock" it in place), there is now one. Brings it down another 1/2".
Old 12-30-2014, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went to lunch with a friend from back home today shortly after I mounted them, so didn't have time to clean the car, and take better pictures. But here's a quick one I shot from the phone after getting the first two on.

Wheel info:
MB Motoring - Weapon (or known in Japan as A-tech wheels)
18" X 8" ET +30
Tires- Nitto NittoGens 215/40

Does it rub? - No
Is it flush? - No. They sit just about perfect from the inner fender lips with out needing to roll or pull fenders.
Tires are a little loud, but on the cold pavement (about 30 degree's and sunny today) they provided great feedback, and the offset is enough to give the car a little more bite on the road over the stock 7.5"s +45's.

Paid little over $1k for the set up from DiscountTireDirect.com. 4 tires, 4 wheels, 4 valve stems, 4 hub centric rings, plus lugs.

Really had a hard time finding wheels I liked. I was torn between these and Sparco Tarmacs. Think now that I see these on the car, I made the right choice. Simple style and design, with a great shade of bronze that adds good contrast against the cement paint.

Last edited by stenger; 12-31-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MB Weapons by ©DESYphotowerks, on Flickr

Yeah, so I got bored.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

the contrast between the rims and the car color is sick!!!!! awesome choice.

now go and amber the led strip.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I REALLY need to do that, but have been lazy. When I am motivated, can't find the material to do it locally.

Quick Reply: Introducting, Scion #4