Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Need help with my 14 tC

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:02 PM

Default Need help with my 14 tC

I've got a 2014 tC that's my daily driver that I'm turning into a show car. I've got 6 grand in a custom stereo one that I'm going to rebuild adding to it and fixing some problems soon. After that I'm turning to the engine. I know very little on the tuning and mechanical side of a car. I've read that tCs don't take to upgrades as well as other cars where a part for a Honda would do 20hp for the tC it does a fraction of that. I'm wondering how much of that is true. I also would like to know what I'm getting myself into and how expensive a n/a build is going to be. I would love to be over 200hp. I have a current shopping list that consist of an ACT flywheel and clutch, Dezod red header, Flowmaster force 2 (mostly because I like the sound it makes the most out of the exhaust I've looked at), TRD cold air. I'm a collision repair tech at a Toyota dealership so I can get TRD parts at cost and finding someone to do the installation it's easy. I would love input on better choices and any other upgrades that would help. I've thrown around the Dezod turbo but I'm afraid of any damage it could cause to my daily driver. If someone could weigh in on the pros and cons and the dangers of that that would also be appreciated.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-25-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way to make good power on a tC is boost. You can spend a crap ton doing N/A stuff like headers/exhaust/intake but the motors are best under boost. They actually seem to respond insanely well to it. Done right though, should pose any dangers to anything but a warranty. Just make sure all the parts get installed like they should and you'll likely be worry free.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 AM

I appreciate the input. I think I'm just scared of the commitment being it's my only means of transportation and I've read that on rare occasions they spin rod beings and I'd prefer to not be about of my daily driver. Also what should I definitely do before installing a turbo. I know injectors exhaust flywheel and clutch.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure compression is good across all 4 cylinders.
Synthetic oil
Premium fuel
oil cooler isn't a bad idea.
good ECU tune (but I've heard issues due to the Toyota ECU not playing well with others).
Important gauges like boost/oil pressure/Air-Fuel mixture to monitor everything.

Basically just look around at some of the turbo builds here, and take notes on what works and doesn't work.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Alright I'll look into it some more thanks