Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Possibility of Hydrolocking?

Old 03-24-2015, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Possibility of Hydrolocking?

as been spoken about before and I have done searches online and on this forum but I haven't found the exact answer that I've wanted, I have an AEM CAI and I am going to lower my tC with the Tein S-Tech springs which is a pretty substantial drop, but a damn good looking one in my opinion, so my question is, with the CAI installed with a hydroshield and me being so cautious with every puddle I go by and doing everything I can to avoid it and trying to avoid driving in the rain at all costs with my car already, should I be fine with the car lowered and with the intake installed with a hydroshield?
Old 03-25-2015, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member

AEM Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes - Prevents Hydro-lock
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Delorean2006
as been spoken about before and I have done searches online and on this forum but I haven't found the exact answer that I've wanted, I have an AEM CAI and I am going to lower my tC with the Tein S-Tech springs which is a pretty substantial drop, but a damn good looking one in my opinion, so my question is, with the CAI installed with a hydroshield and me being so cautious with every puddle I go by and doing everything I can to avoid it and trying to avoid driving in the rain at all costs with my car already, should I be fine with the car lowered and with the intake installed with a hydroshield?
Don't worry about a thing. You don't even need your hydroshield.

I've been lowered on Sportlines (very similar drop to S-Tech) for years and ran a Takeda CAI for a couple years as well. Drove the car however I wanted and even drove through some pretty serious water right in the middle of Hurricane Sandy a couple years ago. Never ran a hydroshield or bypass valve. Don't worry about it. If you look, our car has a pretty comprehensive wheel well liner. Seems like pretty much nothing gets in there.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
Don't worry about a thing. You don't even need your hydroshield.

I've been lowered on Sportlines (very similar drop to S-Tech) for years and ran a Takeda CAI for a couple years as well. Drove the car however I wanted and even drove through some pretty serious water right in the middle of Hurricane Sandy a couple years ago. Never ran a hydroshield or bypass valve. Don't worry about it. If you look, our car has a pretty comprehensive wheel well liner. Seems like pretty much nothing gets in there.
im glad you commented man, you literally just gave me a really big sigh of relief, I was contemplating on getting a short ram intake, I tried the K&N typhoon twice and it kept throwing lights and didn't want to waste money on the injen when I already have the AEM, that I got for free anyway, from the typhoon that kept causing to fail.