Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Possible 2016 new tC owner..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:31 AM

Default Possible 2016 new tC owner..

My first post. Thinking about a new 2016 tC so I'll list all my questions here in one thread.

1. All I would do is lower it, exhaust, and a spoiler. That is it. Do you think getting RS10 is worth it, better choice instead? RS10 is all "done" for me. But it's $4K more. I'm sure that I'm getting "$4K worth" of mods. TRD name brand or not.

2. For the money today, would you buy the tC again, if you have to?

3. I'm sure there are end-less auto vs manual threads. The dealer is actually discounting the automatics more. I can drive both. But I also don't really care which. Would you pay "more" for a manual? Like $500-700 more.

4. I read about some cheap plastic and fit and finish items to note. But is the engine and drivetrain like what they said about legendary Toyotas, since it made in Japan. Would you say the tC is a 200K miles car with regular service care?

5. My web search said the tC is one of the most expensive cars to insure. Like top 5 or top 10. We all have different rates and records. Do you think so base on other cars you own? I'm in my late 40s. I just don't want to be paying BMW rates for a "Toyota."

6. Do people steal tCs, like old Hondas?

Basically, I'm looking for a daily point A to B car for work, with a little of of sporty style and looks kind of cool.

Thanks for your replies.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by YipMan_Style
My first post. Thinking about a new 2016 TC so I'll list all my questions here in one thread.

1. All I would do is lower it, exhaust, and a spoiler. That is it. Do you think getting RS10 is worth it, better choice instead? RS10 is all "done" for me. But it's $4K more. I'm sure that I'm getting "$4K worth" of mods. TRD namebrand or not.

2. For the money today, would you buy the TC again, if you have to?

3. I'm sure there are end-less auto vs manual threads. The dealer is actually discounting the automatics more. I can drive both. But I also don't really care which. Would you pay "more" for a manual? Like $500-700 more.

4. I read about some cheap plastic and fit and finish items to note. But is the engine and drivetrain like what they said about legendary Toyotas, since it made in Japan. Would you say the TC is a 200K miles car with regular service care?

5. My websearch said the TC is one of the most expensive cars to insure. Like top 5 or top 10. We all have different rates and records. Do you think so base on other cars you own? I'm in my late 40s. I just don't want to be paying BMW rates for a "Toyota."

6. Do people steal TCs, like old Hondas?

Basically, I'm looking for a daily point A to B car for work, with a little of of sporty style and looks kind of cool.

Thanks for your replies.
1. In my opinion, you can save some money by just buying a regular 2016 tC and even pay Toyota to install those mods for you for about half the price.
• $400 for lowering springs
• $700 for TRD Exhaust
• $445 for Lip Spoiler
You can even throw in an intake and air filter for another $600. With tax and everything, should be around 2K.

2. If I had enough money, I'd buy the FRS because I really don't mind the space. I only drive myself and my girlfriend, so the back seats are not important for me. I only like the style of the FRS. However, I'd buy another tC easily (but they're dead now)

3. This depends on you. If you want to drive manual, go ahead, if you want to drive auto, go ahead. No one can tell you what to do for this one.

4. If you keep up with regular maintenance, it'll go way past 200K. There are 1 or 2 cheap plastic yes, but it's just "there". You don't notice it and it won't bother you.

5. As you know, insurance depends on where you live, driving records, etc. It's affordable for me as a student and part-time employee so I hope that answers your question.

6. People will steal anything they can get their hands on. My mom's 92 toyota was stolen multiple times before we got rid of it.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I have a 2011 tC. Its manual, and I've put 223,000 mile on it so far. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a "fun" reliable daily driver. Go for a manual, because its what makes it fun around turns. I would not even want this car in automatic because it would be boring.
Also for reliability I just replied to a post in the drivetrain section listing everything I've had done to my car to this point. About to replace my stock clutch before I drive it half way across the country next month. Also for theft protection, buy the manual, because most people these days wont be able to figure out how to put it in drive

*As for mods to do. TRD lowering springs, and strut tower bar are a must (It really does make a big difference. I ran just springs for a few years before installing it). If you want an exhaust I would only recommend TRD or a used Dezod if you can get your hands on one

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
Well I have a 2011 TC. Its manual, and I've put 223,000 mile on it so far. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a "fun" reliable daily driver. Go for a manual, because its what makes it fun around turns. I would not even want this car in automatic because it would be boring. Also for reliability I just replied to a post in the drivetrain section listing everything I've had done to my car to this point. About to replace my stock clutch before I drive it half way across the country next month. Also for theft protection, buy the manual, because most people these days wont be able to figure out how to put it in drive

*As for mods to do. TRD lowering springs, and strut tower bar are a must (It really does make a big difference. I ran just springs for a few years before installing it). If you want an exhaust I would only recommend TRD or a used Dezod if you can get your hands on one
I second this. I had a 2012 automatic and just was not happy with it from the day I got it and then got a 2016 manual couldn't be happier. To be honest I am still eager to this day for the work day to end to get in my car and drive. Also, I have the same set up springs and the strut bar, definitely makes the car a completely different experience than driving stock or just with the springs.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Delorean2006
...I am still eager to this day for the work day to end to get in my car and drive.

...I have the same set up springs and the strut bar, ...
Well said, I love my car. I have had a tC since 2006. I currently own a 2013. I think I will regret never using a strut bar, even though I love corners and spirited driving.. :/

Maybe it's not too late. But a few years ago I bought an official engine cover (black plastic that covers the block for aesthetics) and I hear that Strut Bars do not fit with the engine cover.

Did you tell a difference with a bar? Nice and tight?

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-07-2016, 04:08 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Well said, I love my car. I have had a TC since 2006. I currently own a 2013. I think I will regret never using a strut bar, even though I love corners and sprited driving.. :/Maybe it's not too late. But a few years ago I bought an official engine cover (black plastic that covers the block for aesthetics) and I hear that Strut Bars do not fit with the engine cover. Did you tell a difference with a bar? Nice and tight?
I can tell you that the TRD Strut Bar (Red) will fit over the stock engine cover. Don't know about all the other bars.

The Problem is once it is Installed, there is not enough clearance to remove the engine cover. Because the cover has to be remove straight up.

IOW, you will have to Remove the Strut Bar each time you want to remove the engine cover.
That is not a simple job because besides it being bolted to the Strut Towers it is also bolted in two places to the Firewall.

So it's Either Or. Unless you want to unbolt the Strut Bar (6 bolts) each time you remove the engine cover. It's a PITA.

The only way around it is what I did: Pay big $$ to have a Custom Engine Cover made.

My Custom Cover
is Specially Made and Fashioned to slip Under the Strut Bar. Probably, one of a kind Best to my Knowledge:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-232519/page3/

It Corners Well! Nice and Tight!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-12-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My first post. Thinking about a new 2016 TC so I'll list all my questions here in one thread.

1. All I would do is lower it, exhaust, and a spoiler. That is it. Do you think getting RS10 is worth it, better choice instead? RS10 is all "done" for me. But it's $4K more. I'm sure that I'm getting "$4K worth" of mods. TRD namebrand or not.

2. For the money today, would you buy the tC again, if you have to?

4. I read about some cheap plastic and fit and finish items to note. But is the engine and drivetrain like what they said about legendary Toyotas, since it made in Japan. Would you say the tC is a 200K miles car with regular service care?

5. My websearch said the tC is one of the most expensive cars to insure. Like top 5 or top 10. We all have different rates and records. Do you think so base on other cars you own? I'm in my late 40s. I just don't want to be paying BMW rates for a "Toyota."

6. Do people steal tCs, like old Hondas?

Thanks for your replies.
1. I advise to go for the RS10 if money permits. It's the best release series aside from the RS7.

2. For 19k, the tC2 is a hell of a deal, which is why I believe Toyota did not carry it over to its lineup during the transition. If you compare it to Toyota's modern pricing and options, there isn't a place for all it's standard equipment at 19k.

3. I would forever pay more for a manual. Thankfully I don't have to.

4. There are a few cheap pieces of plastic, with some fitting issues, but the 2AR-FE power plant is the most reliable 4-cylinder Toyota has ever put into a car. Like all Toyota's, it's 500k+ capable.

5. I pay as much to insure my tC as I did for both of my FR-S's. I think it's actually more now...

6. No.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:02 PM

2 weeks away. Found the cars, and the same dealership. A tC and RS10 at the same dealership (both manual), so here is my final question.

Do you think parts for the RS10 will be hard to find later? Mechanically, it's the same. If I ever need to replace an interior trim, will it be hard to find?

The RS interior is black vs gray. Will I be able to find that TRD muffler if the car got rear ended? The more common TRD muffler is single tip, for example.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Do you think parts for the RS10 will be hard to find later? Mechanically, it's the same. If I ever need to replace an interior trim, will it be hard to find? The RS interior is black vs gray. Will I be able to find that TRD muffler if the car got rear ended? The more common TRD muffler is single tip, for example.
Here's what we know for sure. The Release Series are more Unique than the base models. Therefore the RS parts are not shown on the regular Scion Parts List.
For a Dealer to order RS parts, you need to give them your VIN so they can look it up on a Special Parts List.

Mostly because it uses the same 2AR-FE 2.5L engine as in the Camry the common parts will be available for a long, long time. RS parts only Toyota/Scion knows.

Similar to Mustang owners, you can get a base Mustang or a Mustang GT, Shelby GT350, or a Saleen Mustang. Parts might be more scarce, but, not impossible.

i.e., on your Dual Muffler, IF for some reason Toyota/Scion discontinue that item. You can get a Custom Muffler shop to make you one.

Personally, for Reliability, I Prefer the Automatic w/paddle shifters. I been driving a Manual since my 68' S/S Camaro. Been There, Done That.

If you want a more common basic car, get a tC. If money permits and you want a more Special car, get a RS10. There's only 1200 made and it's a Numbered Edition.
I even went shopping around to 6 Dealerships until I found the Lowest number RS9 available. #155 of 2000.

I plan on holding my RS9 forever. IF I ever Total it, I will buy another RS9 and keep the 1st one for salvage parts. It will be in my Will.

Ultimately, the Choice is up to you.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-13-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 weeks away. Found the cars, and the same dealership. A TC and RS10 at the same dealership (both manual), so here is my final question.

Do you think parts for the RS10 will be hard to find later? Mechanically, it's the same. If I ever need to replace an interior trim, will it be hard to find? The RS interior is black vs gray. Will I be able to find that TRD muffler if the car got rear ended? The more common TRD muffler is single tip, for example.
Last time I checked, Toyota (including Scion) guarantees part availability 20 years out. I doubt you will have problems getting parts. However, make sure you have a reputable insurance company that will get you NEW parts if an accident occurs, and not used parts, as this will create a problem for you. If you had to find RS10 parts it would be very difficult, not to mention they are usually super expensive to sway non RS owners from buying them. But as MR_LUV said, taking the VIN to the parts department will get you in.

As far as interior goes, I like the all black RS10 interior over the standard black/gray.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Thank you guys.

As for 1500, is is U.S.? U.S. Canada? Or North America? Or world wide? All the published readings were not clear.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

As for 1500, is is U.S.? U.S. Canada? Or North America? Or world wide? All the published readings were not clear.
*Correction: The RS10 is only 1200 units available according to it's Press Release:

Scion tC Release Series 10.0 is a limited-edition sayonara - Autoblog

Scion brand Sold only in the USA and Canada. The RS10 is a Numbered Limited Edition. Once they are gone, they are gone.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-03-2020 at 07:31 PM.