Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Is the Slayer-themed tC a good idea for SEMA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Default Is the Slayer-themed tC a good idea for SEMA?

Jonathon Klein just wrote a story for the Blog about Scion's Slayer-themed SEMA car—and he's a little skeptical about it.

Personally, I think it's kind of a cool idea, and pretty edgy at that. From a corporate standpoint, Slayer isn't exactly Taylor Swift. The band is all about hailing Satan and rivers of blood.

Stay tuned, as we'll be sure to have plenty of pics of it from the SEMA floor!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few things, 1: SLAYER! 2: At least Scion isn't advertising to tight pant hipsters like Honda is. 3: Scion has always, since Day 1 been promoting music with the brand. Remember when you could go to a dealer and pick up 2-3 CD's of mixed CD's. Usually each one being of a different Genre?

Heck, the last Scion Exposed held for the Ohio region (it's been a few years since we've had another) they brought in acts like Chairlift, and RJD2. Was a great time, but the music was an added bonus. Beats some house DJ who plays his iTunes playlist for a crowd, adds some sound effects, and yells stupidly over the songs at points.

Will Slayer drive some marketing? Probably not. They aren't exactly a large driving force in the music, and really the only people who know Slayer, are people who've grown up with it. I'd much rather see Slayer design a car with Scion than West Coast Customs, or some joke shop like that.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by stenger
A few things, 1: SLAYER! 2: At least Scion isn't advertising to tight pant hipsters like Honda is. 3: Scion has always, since Day 1 been promoting music with the brand. Remember when you could go to a dealer and pick up 2-3 CD's of mixed CD's. Usually each one being of a different Genre?

Heck, the last Scion Exposed held for the Ohio region (it's been a few years since we've had another) they brought in acts like Chairlift, and RJD2. Was a great time, but the music was an added bonus. Beats some house DJ who plays his iTunes playlist for a crowd, adds some sound effects, and yells stupidly over the songs at points.

Will Slayer drive some marketing? Probably not. They aren't exactly a large driving force in the music, and really the only people who know Slayer, are people who've grown up with it. I'd much rather see Slayer design a car with Scion than West Coast Customs, or some joke shop like that.
I've gone to a bunch of Scion music events, and they were all awesome. I actually have a Scion-produced 7" featuring a couple of lo-fi punk bands from Detroit—because I'm grandfathered in to the tight pants club. Ha ha!

Like I said, I think this is great!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 PM
SL Member

Slayer makes me think of muscle cars and custom bikes. It would seem Skrillex or some Dubstep DJ would have been a better fit for a Scion tC. Does the tC's demographic even know who Slayer really even is? Seems a bit silly to me.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't know who Slayer is, you need to get off this planet.... NOW!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Picture: Other - scion-slayer-tc-2014-sema-show-01.jpg

BTW here are some shots of the Slayer tC...

I'm not a big sound guy, but that set up in the rear is pretty dope.