Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

To lower or not to lower...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:38 PM

Default To lower or not to lower...

Hey guys! I'm thinking about putting some lowering springs on my 2011 tC. I haven't done any other suspension work and I can't really afford coilovers but I've heard that the springs could still do the trick. My only fear is that I will get springs and have a bunch of alignment issues afterward and have to buy a bunch of other things.

Also, I wanted to see what tools are required for installing springs in case I decide to buy.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences with this ?

Appreciate it!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tein S-Techs look and ride great on this car (-1.5" front / -1.8" rear drop). They're also not so low as to make you scrape on everything while driving. Very streetable. For alignment I was within spec up front for camber and -2.3° in the rear after installing which is fine for tire wear. Visually though it was too much negative camber for me so I threw in the SPC RUCA's to get the camber back in spec back there. They'll set you back an extra $200 but worth it for proper rear fitment.

TRD springs are a little pricier but they don't drop as low so you won't need aftermarket suspension components. Their only downside is an uneven drop as it's -1.3" all around.

I did have the Eibach Sportlines originally installed but they were all wrong for this car - rode like absolute sh*t and did not seat properly (I got them RMA'd).

Most lowering springs have the same install procedure and you'll need spring compressors and a few other tools to do it (impact is recommended). I would try to get a helping hand from a friend that has experience doing springs as it can be a bit overwhelming by yourself, especially the first time. This video is helpful -