Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Raceland Coilovers Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skatermillar
I have had my Raceland coil overs on for over a year now and my only complaint is that my front passenger side spring binds and makes noises. Called Raceland and they said o need to replace the strut mount on that side
As long as they are installed properly, they should be rock solid for years. (mounts wear out, due to the extra load being put on them from lowering the car, and running stiffer springs. That's to be expected. I debated on putting k-sport style adjustable mounts on, but meh. I'm going to order some BC Coilovers for a better all around suspension sometime this summer.)
Old 06-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by stenger
As long as they are installed properly, they should be rock solid for years. (mounts wear out, due to the extra load being put on them from lowering the car, and running stiffer springs. That's to be expected. I debated on putting k-sport style adjustable mounts on, but meh. I'm going to order some BC Coilovers for a better all around suspension sometime this summer.)
The Racelands are nice but I am with you I want to get some BC Coilovers just so I can have a little more functionality out of my suspension. Getting the Racelands were a good start to my build but its time for upgrades. Lol
Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah when I took mine to US 129, they provided a good ride there, but when it was time to start pushing it on a nearly empty road (even for a spring Saturday) they kinda let me down.

Attached is a photo of how much suspension roll and tire roll I had going hard into one of the early turns.
Attached Thumbnails Raceland Coilovers Install-wp_ss_20150330_0002.png  
Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member

I got my installed Saturday by myself (granted all day job) I'm actually very pleased for most part. My first car I've dropped so not that well versed in experience on lowered cars... rides smooth in my opinion...
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 PM

Yeah when I took mine to US 129, they provided a good ride there, but when it was time to start pushing it on a nearly empty road (even for a spring Saturday) they kinda let me down.

Attached is a photo of how much suspension roll and tire roll I had going hard into one of the early turns.
Your right there is still a little body roll but you can fix a little of that with a strut tower bar and bigger sway bar which would reduce body roll.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skatermillar
Your right there is still a little body roll but you can fix a little of that with a strut tower bar and bigger sway bar which would reduce body roll.
Or both plus better coilovers so that I can dial the suspension in with preload and damping tuning to my driving style. :D

Race car problems.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member

Anyone else's coilovers squeking? I've notice it after it rained but now is constant noise every time I drive. Any ideas?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

I've had mine for almost 6 months now so I'm going to write a little review since I've been out of the forums for a while now. They're holding pretty well they settled pretty evenly on all corners which i was a little worried that they wouldn't. The only problems I have which are not too big are:
-When I turn my wheel all the way they make a squeaking noise but not all the time.

-When I get into my car after not driving it for a while and start moving on an uneven surface like my drive I can hear the struts as if they needed some oil but after a little bit of driving the noise is gone. More frequent after it rains.

My fix for both these these problems would be white lithium grease which you should've used on the struts before installing them. I haven't tried fixing the steering noise like this yet but I fixed my second problem like that but it comes back every 2 months or so, a little price to pay with coilovers on a budget. The can of the grease is a couple of bucks which still makes more sense to me than spending a couple thousand on racing coilovers that are only good for some people to say they have brand name suspension. I'm all up for the racelands they are a good starting point for dropping your car. Maxed out they go pretty low but please don't take perches and stuff off that's when people hate on the racelands because that's how they break faster. If you DD your car like I do, have a little not so serious race just for fun with another "race car" ;) that you casually stopped next to at a red light and you want some pretty decent low then go for the racelands.

Install wise it is not the easiest specially if it's one of your first times working on your car. Instructions would've came in very handy. The good thing is that with the help of some people from scionlife and a lot of reading you will be good to go. I have the instructions for the installation of the rear struts somewhere. If someone needs them I'll try to find them.

Any questions I'll try to answer as soon as I can I've been kinda out of the car scene lately.

Good luck and don't be afraid to get these coilovers.

Originally Posted by nastytc
Anyone else's coilovers squeking? I've notice it after it rained but now is constant noise every time I drive. Any ideas?
Try some of the white lithium grease. Get the struts all covered up. Like fellow scionlifer said "Get them as if a grizzly bear sneezed on them" lol

Hope that fixes your problem. Don't use wd40 as it attracts road grimme.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been running single perch set ups on two scions now using raceland coilovers. Never had a problem.

Why is this? Well it's knowing how to drive a lowered car. You don't plow through speedbumps, and pot holes. You know your cars limits. I've pushed my car very hard, and very gentle. I've plowed it through winter, storms, and insane twisting roads. Again, 2 cars, 2 sets of Racelands on single perch set ups, and 0 issues.

My friend Nathan has had his ORIGINAL set on his 06 tC for over 5 years now. Not blown, not broken, work just fine. But that being said, he too, knows how to drive a lowered car.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member

I've been running single perch set ups on two scions now using raceland coilovers. Never had a problem.

Why is this? Well it's knowing how to drive a lowered car. You don't plow through speedbumps, and pot holes. You know your cars limits. I've pushed my car very hard, and very gentle. I've plowed it through winter, storms, and insane twisting roads. Again, 2 cars, 2 sets of Racelands on single perch set ups, and 0 issues.

My friend Nathan has had his ORIGINAL set on his 06 tC for over 5 years now. Not blown, not broken, work just fine. But that being said, he too, knows how to drive a lowered car.
I agree with you on that but the thing is that a lot of people don't know how to drive a lowered car. They take perches off right of the bat as soon as they lower their cars for the first time and then they keep driving like always and stuff breaks. I forgot to say on my post that you need to change your driving habits a bit if you want them to last a long time. And I said to not take perches off because if you do and something does break they won't give you a new piece because you took parts off and that voids the warranty.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for helping me with my installation btw I never said it!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Andreas24
Thanks for helping me with my installation btw I never said it!
Hey do you need to remove the front wipers and wiper motor to install the fronts? I just got a set of d2 racing RS coilovers that I want to put in, and I know I can't remove my passenger side wiper......
Old 09-21-2015, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Xaphoon
Hey do you need to remove the front wipers and wiper motor to install the fronts? I just got a set of d2 racing RS coilovers that I want to put in, and I know I can't remove my passenger side wiper......
Yeah you need to remove the whole front cowl if not is almost imposdible to tighten the the bolts that hold the struts
Old 09-21-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Andreas24
Yeah you need to remove the whole front cowl if not is almost imposdible to tighten the the bolts that hold the struts
Well ____. I'll have to go to a shop to get my wiper removed then... It literally will not budge at all...
Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well ____. I'll have to go to a shop to get my wiper removed then... It literally will not budge at all...

I didn't remove mine, just use a open ended wrench. It is a little tricky, but if my arthritis ridden fat fingers can get in there and do the job, you should be able too as well.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:33 PM

I didn't remove mine, just use a open ended wrench. It is a little tricky, but if my arthritis ridden fat fingers can get in there and do the job, you should be able too as well.
So you didn't remove the cowl at all?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you didn't remove the cowl at all?

I didn't either when i installed my BC Racing coilovers. Perks of having skinny fingers I guess
Old 09-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jayrdee
I didn't either when i installed my BC Racing coilovers. Perks of having skinny fingers I guess
Okay im going to go for it. Any tips or tricks on getting it?
Old 09-22-2015, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay im going to go for it. Any tips or tricks on getting it?
PATIENCE!!

I found it easiest to mount the bottom of the strut to the hub or whatever first, jack the whole thing up until the tophat clears the three holes at the top, and then finger tight the nuts until you can get a wrench in there