Notices

Aftermarket Wheel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:55 AM

Default Aftermarket Wheel Recommendations

I'm looking into getting some new wheels for my 2014 so what are people's recommendations for aftermarket brands/styles? I like the TRD and that is always an option but I'm also looking for something different.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wheels are always very personal. take a look at tirerack to start off with, they have a decent selection. see what works for you. have a peek at some of the build threads aswell and see what speaks to you.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Red2014tC
Wheels are always very personal. take a look at tirerack to start off with, they have a decent selection. see what works for you. have a peek at some of the build threads aswell and see what speaks to you.
Oh yes I know wheels are a personal choice as I prefer more simple styles that are concave. I guess I should rephrase my question. I'm interested in people's opinions on what looks good but more interested in finding reputable brands of rims that people have/are using since I'm not sure on what brands are better than others (besides the obvious price difference)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asiangolfer76
Oh yes I know wheels are a personal choice as I prefer more simple styles that are concave. I guess I should rephrase my question. I'm interested in people's opinions on what looks good but more interested in finding reputable brands of rims that people have/are using since I'm not sure on what brands are better than others (besides the obvious price difference)
In my experience, only the really cheap rims have issues. Most of the decent brands have fewer quality control issues. As for what looks good, I am happy with my stock 2014 rims. I think they look awesome.

Something else to keep in mind is that you can bend/crack/break any rim, not matter the brand. But the lighter it is the greater the chance of doing damage as obviously there is less material. OEM rims are usually very good for durability and quality.

I remember seeing a link on this forum too someplace where you can buy OEM rims for other cars fairly cheap. Have a look there too.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 AM

Do your research on rims before buying them. Consider where you drive and the road conditions.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Red2014tC
Something else to keep in mind is that you can bend/crack/break any rim, not matter the brand. But the lighter it is the greater the chance of doing damage as obviously there is less material.
actually...how light a wheel is doesn't deteremine damage. How it's made is.

There are two ways wheels are made cast or forged. And yes, anything can break if hit hard enough/enough times....of course, in general, forged has a stronger threshold than cast.

A cast wheel can hold up just as good as a forged wheel IF designed correctly. Compare an OEM wheel to say the Volk TE37. The TE37 design is much simpler, thinner, narrow, lighter...so in order for that wheel to function corrently with its "slim frame" it needs to be forged (A process where the bonds of the metal are much tighter and stronger). And OEM wheel is bulky, heavy, and thick...its "large frame" can hold its own and allow itself to under go a cast process (A less expensive process where the bonds of the moetal are not as tight)...so although a cast process leaves the metal more porous, the large frame of the wheel makes up for it. How do manufactures find the right balance? R&D...expensive R&D

So then the issue with "fake wheels" (aftermarket wheels that should be avoided), like say XXR or Rota or Varrosten, is they skip all the R&D and just take an exisiting design meant to be forged, like the TE37, but apply the less expensive cast process to make it and cut more costs. So now u get the worst of both worlds - slim frame build using a weak bonding process. An cast OEM wheel is stronger than a cast "fake wheel".
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM

If you're interested, SSR put out a new iphone/android app to check out their wheels on your car. Pretty cool actually.