Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Charcoal canister problem..... please help

Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cutnail
The part I dislike the most is the waiting and the back and fourth because they never have the parts, you always got to come back
Or the best is when your incompetent dealer forgets to order the parts or misplaces the parts they ordered and you have to wait till they get another one.

For anyone who's having this problem, keep on bit_chin and make Toyota pay for it. Seriously, especially after reading yesterday that Toyota has made a 40,000 vehichle recall over a F'n exhaust tip.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/28/t...-optional-sta/

They seriously need to stop playing cutesie little games by crossing what defines a "recall" and what defines a "tsb".
Old 05-16-2009, 03:10 AM

I've had my charcoal canister replaced about 6 times before the car hit 30.000 miles. On the last time I filled for the lemon law, then and only then they got it right. When we were in the lemon law mediation they agreed to sign a contract that if the car had the check engine light come on again for the charcoal canister before 100,000 miles they would buy the car back for fair market value of the car at the time of the mediation. I was a pain the the service departments behind, I would demand a loaner car while they would wait for parts. I would call them every day while they had my car. One day while I was waiting for my car the salesman who sold me the car walked by with some costumers looking at scions and asked how I liked the car, well I gave him an earful and the future costumers left before I did. But all that being said I haven't had a problem since, and they have called a few times just to touch base.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK so I know that the canister is for emissions right?

My question is: can it be removed safely and bypassed? I am in Florida and we no longer have inspections, so cats and other emissions equipment can be removed without effecting registrations.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM

http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/eg04706r.pdf

This is a link I found for the TSB.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Default My 2005 SCION XB & Charcoal Canister Failure

I took my 2005 XB to get inspection, due by end of this month (June). It failed inspection due to the charcoal canister failure. I took to Scion dealership to get the canister problem repaired. It is going to cost me a total of $461.00. I am already struggling to make house payments and just replaced the driver's side rear window as it just exploded into a million pieces the other day. That cost me $200.00. After reading all the complaints on this site about failed charcoal canisters, and some repeat failures I think there should be a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT in the works. Scion/Toyota should be held responsible for this defective emission system. If anyone else knows of a lawsuit in process please let me know. usercjh@comcast.net.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Default '06 xA charcoal canister

I'm one more xA owner with the charcaoal canister problem. Mine happened just prior to 36,000 miles, but about nine months after 3 years, so I'm out of warranty. I agree the repair is WAY TOO MUCH $! I'm lucky that I live in an area with no emissions testing, so I don't need to get it repaired, but i've NEVER owned a car that always had the check engine light on, and this is going to irritate the heck out of me. From what I understand, there will be no impact on tailpipe emissions, but I did live a few years in a city with emissions testing, and if I recall correctly, they will fail you automatically for a check engine light. I probably would have went ahead and fixed it, but I found out on these forums that the problem could likely reoccur. $500 every 3-4 years is garbage! That's about what I'll spend on tires and oil changes combined!
If anyone knows any good and effective avenues to complain, let me know. Toyota needs to do something about this. This may not be a safety issue, but it makes your car not street legal anywhere with emissions testing, and that is a very big deal. Provide the parts at cost (or free), not the jacked up OEM replacement part cost. The car cost 13k brand new, you can't tell me it cost any more then $10 - $20 to make that carcoal canister.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

guys you wont believe this, another scion xa with canister problems, last sunday i saw my check engine light on took it to the dealer and it was the canister repair was $560.00 thanks God i have extended warranty and i ended up paying only $50.00 deductible. yeah nice, and suck that scion have this problem other than that no problems for 5 years and 40,000 miles
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

guys you wont believe this, another scion xa with canister problems, last sunday i saw my check engine light on took it to the dealer and it was the canister repair was $560.00 thanks God i have extended warranty and i ended up paying only $50.00 deductible. yeah nice, and suck that scion have this problem other than that no problems for 5 years and 40,000 miles
Old 07-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Sounds like I belong in this thread!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by EPIC_FAIL
Sounds like I belong in this thread!!!!!!!!
Well before some a-hole banned this account^^^^^^ I had posted a fix for the issue you are having.........

If you take a piece of rubber hose about 6-8 inches long(I don't remember the inside Diameter) and attach it to the end of the plastic "vent" it will help keep water and contaminants out of your canister which should prevent the issue you are having.

The whole problem with the xA is there is no liner of protection behind the rear wheel to keep debris out of the vent hole....the fix is supposed to help it but it doesn't really solve anything.

good luck
Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE
Well before some a-hole banned this account^^^^^^ I had posted a fix for the issue you are having.........

If you take a piece of rubber hose about 6-8 inches long(I don't remember the inside Diameter) and attach it to the end of the plastic "vent" it will help keep water and contaminants out of your canister which should prevent the issue you are having.

The whole problem with the xA is there is no liner of protection behind the rear wheel to keep debris out of the vent hole....the fix is supposed to help it but it doesn't really solve anything.

good luck
Can you clarify what you mean by attach a rubber hose to the plastic vent? Do you mean the part labeled as "air intake" in the attached picture below (I ripped this image from the service manual)? Which vent do you mean? I am still new so explain it like you would to a 5 year old

Maybe you mean the "fuel tank filler pipe holder" mentioned (and pictured) by thayer - think he calls it a "filler neck" in this thread - the "snorkel" looking thing? https://www.scionlife.com/forums/mai...8/#post3801442

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Charcoal canister problem..... please help-canister-pic.jpg  
Old 04-09-2016, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You won't get a response to a 7year old post
I have an `04 xA that has had the fueling problem since `08. I just deal with it, no codes so far.. Good luck as I don't think there is a vent on our cars like he refers to. The vent on that diagram ^^ goes to the other side of the overfill valve.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

You'll be amazed at what I respond to, especially if i'm notified.... ;)

This isn't the best pic but it's all I've got. The lower of the two pieces highlighted (if memory serves correct) has an oval shaped opening that allows the venting of the canister. Since there isn't a fuel filler protector or a rear quater liner on an xA(xB, echo), dirt and debris can enter the pipe and cause havoc including rusting out the inside of the metal vent tube(which is attached to the upper piece you see in the pic, and is part of the filler neck assembly) and totally block the venting, which makes it impossible to fill the car with fuel at an even fairly decent rate.

You can attached a 6-8 inch piece of radiator hose to this oval opening and zip tie it to the filler neck, this piece of hose will be enough to prevent contamination from directly entering the vent tube and making it's way into your canister..

This is all from memory from many years ago, so it should be fairly close to accurate.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:42 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your pic doesn't work...