Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Front end metallic clank sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:50 AM

Default Front end metallic clank sound

So my '06 xa has been making this weird clanking sound from the front of the car. It typically occurs when going over patchy roads and small to medium sized bumps. However, when I'm braking and still moving forward, the sounds stop. I've researched a ton but nothing quite explains the sound I'm hearing. Surprisingly I've been driving like this for a very long time and no mechanics have been able to pinpoint the sound.
Car has over 100,000 miles and still runs pretty good with regular maintenance.

I'm just concerned that one day something is going to fall off (whatever it could be) and just f*ck up the entire car!
Help! Anyone?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

One of two things come to mind...Since the sound goes away when braking I would first suspect the front brake pads are lose in the calipers and rattleing over rough roads. The second suspected part would be the front anti-swaybar bushing worn out and causing noise but during braking the momentum of car applies torque and quiets the lose/rattle sound from end bushings.. You can visually inspect the endlink bushings and the front brake pads can be checked to see if they are lose in the calipers while parked...you may need to check the brake fluid level too, if low the pads are more than likely worn down and need replacement( if manual trans you may have noticed clutch not working, they both use the same fluid resivoir). Good luck and have your mechanic look at the brake pads- might just need the shims put in..??(these keep the pads from rattleing around)