Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Lemon ? Whats the law / deal With the wife's 06 Xa ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member

Default Lemon ? Whats the law / deal With the wife's 06 Xa ?

Alright, so I have a 06 Xb, and the wife has a 06 Xa (Automatic)

Since she's bought it in march/april of this year ( can't remember exact date)

2 months ago, check engine light on . . replaced charcoal canister and then told my wife to stop washing her car

last month, check engine light on . . . again replaced charcoal canisted and this time installed a shield.

I read up and found this is common, so thought nothing too much.

Today I drove it to work.

1. When the car is cold first few shifts of the day the auto tranny has real issues shifting and when it does shift gears is really harsh. We brought this up the first time we brought the car in and they said nothing is wrong.

2. The Dash is messed up. I wouldn't say that it looks melted. . but several spots have seemed to fuse together and look like complete @ss. Wife called the dealership and they said despite being brand new thats not covered under the factory warranty. . I think thats a load of BS

3. the AC = Messed up! I drove it today, and whether the AC button was pushed in or not, the AC was always on! unless I put the fan speed to off. No matter what speed it was on the AC kicked in and would shoot out cold air. I kept turning it off and on to see if maybe it was blowing cold air today but it was 80 degrees outside so doubtfull. You could feel it kick on and off when you turned the fan speed from off to on.

So, whats the deal here ? Anyone know if all 3 issues should be fixed ? Car has under 6K on her and will be going back for 3rd repair in almost as many months.

Help!

Thanks in Advance

Sean
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member

not sure about the air issue or the shifting issue, but after more than a month working with scion, the scion rep approved replacing our dash. my dash had a defective area where the golf ball dimples were not dimpled anymore. in this area the paint seemed to have bubbled up. some of the 'dimples' the paint had come off leaving white spots. they determined this spot to be a defect. instead of calling, you might try taking your scion to the dealership so they can look at your dash issue. we were also heard from a scion xa owner in florida with a dash issue who also had hers replaced. we have two scion xas and we have had no issues with either car except for my dash. on earlier post many have cautioned on what is used to clean the dash. i plan to follow that advice going forward. best of luck, as it sounds like you have a lot of stuff going on with your xa.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i asked the same #1 question at the dealer and this is normal as O/D shifts late to get the engine to operating temperature a little faster. They said i would experience this more in colder weather. Actually my 02 montana did and i thought something was wrong with it.

As for question #2 and # 3 i have no answers, sry.

kms2112
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

#1. The tranny will not shift into overdrive until the blue temp light in the gauge pod goes out. Maybe that's what you are feeling.

#2. Not sure about the dash....can't help you there.

#3. Did you check to see if the one of the defrost modes was selected (windsheild or windsheild/floor)? Either of these settings will cycle the A/C regardless of whether the A/C button is on or off. This is normal operation. The A/C helps to defrost/defog the windshield because it removes moisture from the incoming air.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 06 xA Check Engine Light

I also have a 2006 xA automatic, that I purchased in October 2005. My check engine light has gone off a total of 4 times - and in the last 8 weeks, I've had my car for about 2-3 days. First time they said it was the gas cap - and they sent me on my way. Second time, they replaced the charcoal canister. Third time they replaced a fuel line from the charcoal canister to the fuel tank. Last time they replaced the gas cap. The Dealer has provided me with loaner cars this whole time.

Throughout all of this, I have been in contact with Toyota Corporate Headquarters, and the Scion Customer Experience Center. I have a case file number assigned, and I am currently waiting for paperwork to fill out for arbitration. According to Scion Customer Experience, I am eligible to invoke the lemon law (in 3 times for the same repair and parts were replaced 3 times) - although the Dealership thinks otherwise. I really DON'T want to use the lemon law, because the process will be tedious at best, but I just want to protect myself.

For your own protection - please contact the Scion Customer Experience Center at 866-707-2466 and have them open a case file for you.

Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hard shifts are normal for this car while the engine is cold.

Where on the dash is your issue?

Have you tried turning on the heat to see if it will blow hot air or if it will only blow cold? Those are two different problems.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kind of have hard shifting problem...I start car, cold engine light is blue, I take off at normal "lead" foot way. Seems okay, until I make our first right turn and RPM's rev up little bit. Then I shift into 30-35 mph zone, the car bucks into warm status after few minutes. No problem there with mine....

Okay, engine idles rough while in "drive thru's" or at long stop lights. I haven't seriously had this problem until I started commuting to a new job that is 42 miles one way. I've been getting my oil changes, since I drive 400 miles a week. I know xA's are known to have slightly loud engines...I just think it's odd.

I haven't had my "check engine light" turned on me. (Knock on wood)

I got mine in March, I've put over 12,500 miles on it already. The only major problem occured with mine (and everyone else) TERRIBLE paint. I had paint chips and scraches everywhere on my car....I got rock chips on my back passenger doors somehow? I personally would love to take my xA to customize paint shop and get expensive paint on it.

Did anyone ever notice...when you leave "Air intake" switch on the right side for A/C & Heater even when you don't have the heater on. That your gas mileage drops rapidly?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XPRESSCION, you might want to change your plugs....I put a CAI on my 05 auto and it would idle rough at lights, put in a set of irridium plugs and id smoothed out a good bit. Folks will tell you this is a waste of $$$, but, it workked for me.

Sorry to jack the thread.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I Lemon Lawed a Saab a few years ago. What you need to do is keep taking it back to the dealer and keep all your records. I'm in Nj and I used a Law firm called Kimmle & Silverman. You can find them and more info at www.lemonlaw.com.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as the air always being on... did you have it set to defrost with the temp dial all the way to the left?

New cars come with an AC-Defroster link that turns the A/C on with the defrosters regardless of if you press the switch or not. It helps to rid the cabin of moisture that causes condensation.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I have the temp dial set to cold and the fresh air lever set to recirculate, I'll get AC even without the AC button in.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My xA shifts real hard when the blue light is on, too. Kind of annoying, but I live in SoCal, so it only takes a minute or two to go off, even during the winter. In the summer, the blue light goes off almost immediately.

The only actual problem I've had with my car was the stereo would change stations on it's own. Had it replaced under warranty, no problems with the new unit. It appears all or most of the first batch of the new radio for the 06 has this problem-I got mine quite early in the model year.