Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Mounted a laptop in my car today

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dam thats pretty cool, you can download any song, read e-mails, go through your itunes and play whatever song you want. its endless. I want this.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by geo46_2
dam thats pretty cool, you can download any song, read e-mails, go through your itunes and play whatever song you want. its endless. I want this.
If you want to be more "integrated," check out mp3car.com
You can get a host of in-car computing items there including DIN kits, daylight-view touchscreen monitors, DC power supplies, cases, motherboards, the works.

I was originally going to go this route but liked the appeal of the laptop mount being removable.

Unfortunately I've only found Scion xB (1st gen) mounts available for what I did..but RAM Mounts do make the POD mount which should work on any seat mount.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:37 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just don't do what this cop did

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/03/...69601236122158

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., March 3 (UPI) -- The Florida Highway Patrol said a police officer who rear-ended an empty gasoline tanker had been reading her in-car laptop before the collision.

Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Bill Leeper said Jacksonville police officer Amanda Meyer, 29, was driving west on Zoo Parkway in Jacksonville at about 8:30 a.m. Monday when her car rear-ended the truck while it was stopped at a railroad crossing in accordance with state law, the (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union reported Tuesday.

Leeper said Meyer had glanced at the screen of her in-car laptop, which is mounted to the right of the driver's seat, and attempted to swerve and avoid the truck after she looked back at the road. However, the front end of the car collided with the rear of the truck while traveling about 40 mph, officials said.

Meyer was treated for injuries to her left arm at Baptist Medical Center and released. The driver of the truck was not injured.

The spokesman said investigators have not yet determined whether to file charges against Meyer. He said the incident was her first road collision as a police officer.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
just don't do what this cop did

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/03/...69601236122158

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., March 3 (UPI) -- The Florida Highway Patrol said a police officer who rear-ended an empty gasoline tanker had been reading her in-car laptop before the collision.

Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Bill Leeper said Jacksonville police officer Amanda Meyer, 29, was driving west on Zoo Parkway in Jacksonville at about 8:30 a.m. Monday when her car rear-ended the truck while it was stopped at a railroad crossing in accordance with state law, the (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union reported Tuesday.

Leeper said Meyer had glanced at the screen of her in-car laptop, which is mounted to the right of the driver's seat, and attempted to swerve and avoid the truck after she looked back at the road. However, the front end of the car collided with the rear of the truck while traveling about 40 mph, officials said.

Meyer was treated for injuries to her left arm at Baptist Medical Center and released. The driver of the truck was not injured.

The spokesman said investigators have not yet determined whether to file charges against Meyer. He said the incident was her first road collision as a police officer.
NICE! Throughout the whole time working for the PD I haven't heard any officers being distracted by their computer. I'm making it a point to not let it happen to me. As soon as I'm driving it's eyes forward; all my audio queues from the GPS play through my speakers and I shuffle my music and have a wireless presenter mouse with macros to skip forward/back.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would get this instead, much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAPTO...fAudioQ5fVideo

Seems to be a great seller.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't like the velcro strap holding the laptop in...and I think the mounting system that unit uses will not work with the xA.
It looks like its meant for flat-floored seat bolts...I don't know of a place that would fit without drilling into the floor, which is a big no-no for me.

Good and cheap though, although I'm surprised they have pictures of that unit in a Police Interceptor, since local gov't is usually picky about milspec products being used in their vehicles.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Digging up an old, old thread here, but how much leg room does that Ram Mount steal?
It looks like it's 1/3 of the way across the passenger's seat.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

That's pretty cool. Undercover cop car!!! I mounted my iPod touch like that, so I have easy access to the music and when i turn on the youtube. I know driving while watching youtube, not safe at all!!!!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

post pics of the iPod install!! Thinking of installing 10" tablet over pioneer stock unit or at least a mount that would hold the tablet....
Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 PM

Hey there folks.

I've been a quiet guest reader for a while now and finally want to get some good feedback on installing a laptop mount for a Scion TC 08 RS 4.0 spec.

Anyone have any luck doing this with any of the RAM mounts? I am looking specifically at the
No-Drill? Laptop Mount for the Scion xB - RAM-VB-150-SW1 | RAM Mounts

Let me know if anyone has any information on this. Note: I might post an in depth guide on how I install this into my Scion tC if the guide doesn't already exist.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hi all:

Finally took the dive and installed the RAM-VB-150-SW1 mount in my 2005 XB. Mine was $195 from a boating supply company. To reiterate ein311's points and make some xB-specific ones:

-The seat bolts definitely need to be replaced with "Metric tap bolts, Zinc plated class 8.8 steel, 10mm x 1.25mm x 40mm". 67-cents each at BoltDepot;

-Unlike the xA, the xB really needs the included Adjust-A-Pole base (RAM-VB-ADJ1) installed, or the pole will block the glove box and ____ off your passenger;

-When assembled, any laptop will tend to sit high. The laptop in my pics has a 12.5" screen, and barely lets me see out the windshield and the passenger's mirror. If you need a larger screen, you could purchase a shorter top pole. The included top pole is 8" long and is too long to fit completely in the bottom pole. RAM-VP-TTM4U is 4" long and can sit 2" lower;

-It's going to wobble when driving, but there are things you can try to minimize that;

View in the driver's door:
Name:  nzGeUOa.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  271.6 KB

View in the passenger's door:
Name:  UQ0puU7.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  267.6 KB

Side view. The Adjust-A-Pole is mounted to the bracket. Above that is the 9" bottom tube, then the 8" top tube, at its lowest position, bottomed out in the bottom tube. That's a load-bearing can of soda on the floor. This kit lacks a stabilizer foot that would replace one of the forward-most bolts to support the bottom bracket. You can make your own from a long bolt and a couple nuts and washers, or grab a field-expedient beverage:
Name:  vYdyqRS.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  344.0 KB

Driver's POV. I'm 5'5". Taller drivers might tolerate a larger screen, or you can fold the screen down, but the side keepers will prevent laptops from closing completely:
Name:  8Tlj816.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  249.5 KB

Passenger's POV. Passenger's going to lose some lateral knee-room, but at least won't be able to accidentally kick the shifter into neutral:
Name:  w4sAgIJ.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  283.8 KB

-T