Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

No Coolant Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:04 AM

Default No Coolant Pressure

For about two years now I've notice my XB starting to overheat more and more now. I know the triple digit temps here in CA isn't helping, but when I first bought the car I never saw it over heat. One thing I did notice is that the radiator hoses never have pressure. Every car I've looked at has pressure in the hose when car is running at normal temp. That's how it works. Is there something different with our cars that I don't know about? I've never felt pressure in the hose. After driving and shutting off the car I'll check the radiator hose and will notice the sound of pressure going into the reservoir. Could be bad rad cap, but I bought one recently because of this issue. Maybe I'll purchase another cap and try it out.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 AM

Anyone know anything? Anyone else with a 1g XB, do you have pressure in your radiator hoses?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM

I noticed something that I don't think is right. With the rad cap on, if I rapidly squeeze the upper rad hose, I hear pressure coming through the reservoir. I believe the rad cap is suppose to hold pressure through the system. Pressure shouldn't be able to get past the cap and to the reservoir that easily. I went to my other car and did the same test. With the cap on I rapidly squeezed the upper rad hose. The hose held pressure. It could not be squeezed as easily and no pressure was going to the reservoir. I went to the auto store and purchased a new cap. In the parking lot I put the cap on. I did the same test and pressure leaks to the reservoir. Something's now right. Maybe the caps weren't made properly and doesn't reach down to the neck and seal it.