Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

xA noise at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xA noise at highway speeds

Since 2011, I’ve been a proud and happy owner of a 2006 xA. I have been living a few miles from work, in a small town with mostly stop and go city-style driving. It’s been perfect. My occasional road trip has tested the xA’s limits, however, with road and engine noise making it difficult to talk on the phone, think, or even arrive without feeling like I just got back from a noisy and intense football game. It is also a rather stiff and bumpy ride above 70mph.

Recently, I found out that my job will require me to make a once- or twice-weekly road trip of 100 miles each way, almost four hours of driving on these days. Worse yet, the road is a rural Arizona highway with a 75mph speed limit. The xA is not happy at these speeds, as road and engine noise increase and the ride becomes bumpier.

I would very much like to keep this car, but I’ve been tempted to consider a more boring car (like a Corolla or Civic) for the smoother, quieter ride at highway speeds. Before I make a decision I will later regret, however, does anyone have ideas about how to make the ride smoother and quieter? Having read through a number of xA and xB forum threads, it sounds like there are four possible issues at high speeds.

1. High RPMs in fifth gear (engine noise)
2. Poor insulation (road and engine noise)
3. Small tires (bumpy ride and road noise)
4. Stiff, sporty suspension (bumpy ride and road noise)

I don’t think there is any solution for #1, unless a Yaris clutch kit can be installed on the xA. #2 is likely the easiest modification, since Dynamat or Poliy-fil can be stuffed into the doors, the hatch, and the spare tire compartment. According to one thread, stuffing can also be put into the front strut towers to dampen engine noise. With regard to #3 and #4, I presume different tires and/or a different suspension setting would improve things at high speeds. With very little technical knowledge, however, I’m not what solutions would work without causing new problems (like lower fuel efficiency).

Any thoughts? I want to make this car work, and I am willing to invest money in the project. Much better that spending $15K on a used Civic.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:11 AM

Find out anything in regards to the noise? I find that right around 3500rpm it gets a sudden increase in noise ....not sure what is causing this.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Farnsrocket
Find out anything in regards to the noise? I find that right around 3500rpm it gets a sudden increase in noise ....not sure what is causing this.
Well, I got some new tires which make a big different. Same size as the old ones, but newer and higher-quality Bridgestones. It no longer feels like I have tires that were made out of cement circles.

With road noise seemingly reduced, I'm now going to try a engine hood pad which is supposed to be a noise deadener. I'll let you know if it really absorbs the sound.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I drive a `04 xA. in the past road noise also was a problem, better with new tires then even new tires would get noisy and when replaced never quite as quiet. Found that the rear wheel bearings were worn out and causing the noise. Replaced and car as quiet as day one, can talk on phone and listen to music again!!! Check bearings by lifting rear wheel off of ground and give tire a good hard spin by hand. Should be silent while spinning.. and growl will be amplified by higher speeds.. Good luck and hope this gets you back to an enjoyable ride