Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Camshaft Actuator Stuck Open (variable timing system)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Camshaft Actuator Stuck Open (variable timing system)

Hey Everyone, hows it goin, Well I figured I'd share this with you all incase it happends to you.
I was driving home from work in the XB and the check engine light came on, along with the vsc and trac lights. I also noticed the loss in power, it seemed like i was running on like 3 cylinders or something.
First thing I thought of was the intake, then the Maf, after finding out both were clean and actually in like new condition, I thought it would have been the charcoal canister, So I went to Toyota and they scanned it finding out that it was the Camshaft Actuator that controls the Variable Timing, from what the tech guy was sayin it was stuck open, retarding the timing. So Im actually getting that replaced tommorrow thru my warranty thank goodness. LOL

Anyhow I wanted to share that with you all just incase you get something similar happening to ya.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

wow!! first time i heard of that one, did they have an idea how it happend or was it a defect?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is the 3rd or 4th time i've heard about this so far its only been on the xB's that been having this problem...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, so i got the problem fixed, the torque is back, the power is back too. I asked them if it was a defect, they said it was quite possible because they dont get jammed actuator cases on the regular you know.
O2 sensor was good, cat was clean, Everything was realtively smooth. They did mention how people forget about other perfomance lags like Charcoal Canister clogs & improper current consistency.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've also seen this posted a few times so it doesn't seem as uncommon as the dealer may have implied. What year? How many miles?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well actually its at 20,000 miles now, and its an 06
Old 02-15-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Camshaft Actuator Stuck Open (variable timing system)

Originally Posted by AnalogXB
Hey Everyone, hows it goin, Well I figured I'd share this with you all incase it happends to you.
I was driving home from work in the XB and the check engine light came on, along with the vsc and trac lights. I also noticed the loss in power, it seemed like i was running on like 3 cylinders or something.
First thing I thought of was the intake, then the Maf, after finding out both were clean and actually in like new condition, I thought it would have been the charcoal canister, So I went to Toyota and they scanned it finding out that it was the Camshaft Actuator that controls the Variable Timing, from what the tech guy was sayin it was stuck open, retarding the timing. So Im actually getting that replaced tommorrow thru my warranty thank goodness. LOL

Anyhow I wanted to share that with you all just incase you get something similar happening to ya.

This is a common occurance, and a TSB is out on this.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:
Ok so after we thought the job was done and fixed, the lights came back on again, The power is gone again too, I took it back to the dealer and once again they are there staring and scratching heads finding out whats wrong. with a replaced actuator and cam assembly, the ECU is still spitting out the actuator code. So they are now thinking the ECU is shot. After finding out with many of you on here, this seems so common with XB's. I feel a recall coming LOL!
What I'm really puzzled with is, If the Echo and Yaris have the same motors, why do they not have this issue? Is the XB ECU not a good one?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:
Well after 2 months later, they finally have fixed the problem, and as I was explaining in the previous post about how they fixed the cam gear/ Actuator assembly, they found out that the assembly they got in from Toyota was defected, so they had to get another cam assembly set to install, so they switched it again and finally, I got my VVT-i working "YESSSS!!!!" The lights are off and the car is back to its quick speedy self again.

So basically since this whole thing has started in February... heres what happend:
- Beggining of February, the lights came on, loss of power, rich smell gas
- Next day, took it in, and they fixed the cam actuator assembly according to the P0012 code reading
- The day after, they had fixed it and the car had no error codes, the same evening the lights came back on.
- Went in the next day and they figured its an ECU problem. So waited weeks until they got a new ECU.
- Mid-March, the new ECU arrives and its actually a new ECU version for the 1st Generation XB's, this includes updated mapping and some changes to increase performance. Also bug fixes where error codes came on for no reason.
- Computer swapped to an updated one and no error lights, performance was slightly better but you can still tell it was lagging. Later that day the lights came back on. Told the dealer the same day. An made another appointment.
- Ending of March (Last Weekend) took the car in and they had replaced the cam gear actuator assembly once more, finding out the last cam gear assembly was defected. Appearantly they had 5 techs on it and making sure it worked this time around.
- Drove it out the dealership and lights were off, the car was kinda driving like a Torq type of feeling at first, but later that day, it was like i broke it in or something, The power was incredible, the rich gas smell is gone and i noticed more power on the mid area of accelerating as well. I was always used to how much gas Id burn from work and back home (before the cam issue) and I noticed Im getting better gas milage too.

So basically all in all the updated ECU is quite evident in improvments. The Cam Fix is going nice and the car generally is improved performance wise and on gas milage. So I'd recommend to all my Scion xb pals on here, try to see about the updated ECU.
As for the P0012 cam problem, mission completed!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Wow that sucks. My VSC, Trac, and check engine light just came on and Toyota replaced my cam shaft assembly as per the TSB based on the code read off my ECU. It's been a week and no problems, I hope I dont have to jump through the hoops you did!

Oh, I drive an 05 xB with 50k miles on it. No engine, exhaust mods.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so whats this deal about an updated ECU version...do i have to buy a new one or can i just goto toyota and update it from a computer...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why wouldn't the xA's be effected? I keep reading ^ xB. they have the same... everything under the hood, or am I wrong?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^just seems to be an xB issue so far, thats all
Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aggj24
so whats this deal about an updated ECU version...do i have to buy a new one or can i just goto toyota and update it from a computer...
ECU/PCM updates are done by the dealer (with a computer).. sometimes even if you buy a new PCM, it still needs all the updates.. but No, you do not need to buy one.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i asked the dealer bout the update ..he had no idea what i was talking about...is there a price on this update
Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

??price??
the techs know about it, but would only consider one if you needed it for a repair (most likley)

Heres some info from Toyota/Scion:

Engine Controls - ECU Flash Reprogramming Procedure
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS
SS003-07

Title:
TECHSTREAM ECU FLASH
REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE

Models:
'04 - '08 Applicable Scion

April 26, 2007

Introduction

Flash reprogramming allows the ECU software to be updated without replacing the ECU. Flash calibration updates for specific vehicle models/ECUs are released as field-fix procedures described in individual service bulletins. This bulletin details the Techstream ECU flash reprogramming process and outlines use of the Technical Information System (TIS) and the Calibration Update Wizard (CUW).

Flash calibration updates can only be applied to the vehicle/ECU combination for which they are intended. ECUs have internal security that will not allow them to be programmed with another ECU's information.

NOTE :Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is a Toyota term used to describe integrated computerized devices responsible for managing the operation of a system or subsystem. For the purposes of this bulletin, the term "ECU" is used as a generic label for the following SAE J1930 standard references:

^ Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

^ Engine Control Module (ECM)

^ Transmission Control Module (TCM)

^ Or any other Toyota specific control unit

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2004 - 2008 model year applicable Scion vehicles. NOT all models are capable of flash reprogramming.

----

Engine - MIL ON/DTC P0011/P0012 or P0016 Set
ENGINE
EG003-07

Title:
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0011, P0012, OR P0016

Models:
'05 - '06 Scion xA & Scion xB

February 9, 2007

Introduction

Under certain conditions, customers may experience a M.I.L. "ON" condition with DTC P0011, P0012, or P0016 stored in the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM). In some cases, the cause of this DTC may be the VVT-i actuator. Use the procedures in this bulletin to verify the operation of the actuator and correct the condition.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2005 - 2006 model year Scion XA and Scion xB vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint

Repair Procedure
1. Referring to the screen flow in Figure 1 below, connect the Toyota Diagnostic Tester to the vehicle and select the VVT Control Bank 1 Active Test (VVT CTRL B1) from the Active Test Menu.

2. Using the right arrow key, toggle the VVT actuator "ON".

3. Does the engine run rough and/or stall?

YES: Proceed to step 4.

NO: Check the oil control valve operation.

Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS):

^ 2005 model year Scion XA or Scion xB Repair Manual, Engine/Hybrid System - Engine Mechanical - "1NZ-FE: Engine: Inspection"

^ 2006 model year Scion XA or Scion xB Repair Manual, Engine/Hybrid System - Engine Control - "1NZ-FE Engine Control System: SF1 System: P0010: Camshaft Position "A" Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)"

4. Remove and replace the camshaft timing gear assembly. Refer to TIS:

^ 2005 model year Scion XA or Scion xB Repair Manual, Engine/Hybrid System - Engine Mechanical - "1NZ-FE: Camshaft: Replacement"

^ 2006 model year Scion XA or Scion xB Repair Manual, Engine/Hybrid System - Engine Mechanical - "1NZ-FE Engine Mechanical: Cylinder Head: Replacement"

NOTE :

The timing gear MUST be in the unlocked position when installing on the camshaft.

Please see step 5 for instructions to unlock the camshaft timing gear.

5. Identify whether the camshaft timing gear is unlocked or locked. (See Figure 2.)

^ If the camshaft timing gear is unlocked, it is ready to install.

^ If it is LOCKED, follow the steps below to unlock the camshaft timing gear before installing.

A. To disengage the camshaft timing gear lock pin, apply and hold approximately 21 psi of air pressure at the oil feed hole located 90 degrees clockwise of the oval slot. (See Figure 3.)

NOTE :The lock pin is inside the gear, NOT the one located in the oval slot.

B. With the 21 psi of air still applied to the gear, turn the interior assembly counterclockwise. (See black arrow in Figure 3.)

C. Install the timing gear assembly onto the camshaft with the straight pin slightly to the right of the key groove as shown in Figure 4.

D. Turn the camshaft timing gear assembly while pushing it lightly against the camshaft until the straight pin engages the key slot.

E. Check that the camshaft timing gear is fully seated on the camshaft and that there is no clearance between the end of the camshaft and the timing gear. Install the camshaft bolt finger tight.

F. While holding the camshaft with a wrench, tighten the camshaft bolt.

Torque: 64 N.m (653 kgf.cm, 47 ft.lbf)

G. After torquing the camshaft bolt, rotate the camshaft timing gear in a clockwise direction while holding the camshaft stationary until the dots are aligned, thereby engaging the camshaft timing gear lock pin.

H. The timing gear is now ready for installation of the timing chain.

NOTE :Camshaft timing is performed with the camshaft timing gear in the locked position (dots aligned).

---
Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just thought I'd chime in, I'm getting a P0016 occasionally, does your code come on every time you drive or only sometimes? I do have a code reader and clear it when it does come on to check for repeatability. I can drive from my house to work with no issue, then have it come on moving the car from the street to the driveway.

The engine is a replacement, my original one broke a connecting rod and Toyota refused to cover the repair, blaming it on the TRD cold air intake (conveniently not a warranted part, only for the 2006). I took it to arbitration but lost (idiot mediator wrote in the notes water came in through the bypass valve, WTF?) Rather than go to court, I decided to put in a spare 1NZ I had on hand, originally intending to build for a turbo setup. The replacement engine was from an '04 with 20,000 miles on it. I did take the valve cover and timing cover off for inspection. After the P0016 code came on, I also replaced the cam with the one from the original engine. I never got this code on the original engine before it blew. The service manual says to check the timing chain, it has not skipped a tooth so the manual says it may have stretched and to replace it.

The ECU does learn the cam / crank position, it stores a baseline then checks it against actual and remembers the actual, unless it is too far from the baseline. I'm hoping that because it's a different engine the ECU just needs time to learn the position. If the timing chain were physically stretched, I would assume this error weould trip every time the engine comes on. I've ohmed both the cam and crank position sensors and they both check out good. Anyone else have an issue with an engine replacement?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cam timing gear is plastic and can develop cracks in it. It starts out coming on periodically and going off on its own. Eventually it stays on. Mine was replaced and lights came back on a week later. Looks like I may have gotten a bad one.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm guessing you're talking inside the #2 cam. the outer sprocket that the timing chain goes on is definately metal. I haven't taken the VVT assembly apart though but could very well imagine plastic components since they use them on the chain guide as well.

I think I've fixed my P0016 though, pulled the timing cover yesterday and saw the crank skipped a tooth on the timing chain. When I first dropped the motor in, there was some play in the chain between the cams, I'm guessing the tensioner was bad. I replaced the chain and tensioner with one from an '06 motor, should take care of the problem.

Here was my problem. the dot should be in the middle of the painted link, not the edge:

Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hello All. I currently have this "problem" actually i have had the trio of lights come and go over the last 6 months. I have started with the cheap fixes, moving my way up. My car is 2006 with 125k on it.

The question is: Has anyone solved this problem by replacing the Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve ? This part is easy to get to and only costs 120 bucks. Very willing to start here.

Background:
I change my oil with synthetic 5-30 every 4k.
put in a octane boost (or stp gas treatment) every other tank.
put in just about every fuel injection cleaner on market.
Changed plugs (new plugs every 24k)
Changed ignition coils.

When I replaced my gas tank cap... it went away for some month or so.

now it is pretty steady.

Took it to the dealer, they hooked it up and quoted me 1300 to replace the variable valve timing gear.
The car runs very well, no real noticable sluggishness, get close to 30mpg city, passed emissions.

Now this timing gear is made of metal... right so is it really the gear or is it one of the sensors.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Actuator Stuck Open (variable timing system)