Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

210hp SCION xB is it POSSIBLE and HOW?

Old 12-09-2003, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default 210hp SCION xB is it POSSIBLE and HOW?

Hello Scion Owners I’m a teenager that’s about to get my First car and I want it to be a Scion xB. So many things are great in this car such as the mileage, Price, Leg room (I’m 6’5) and the sound. But sad to say the horse power is not there…. (you all know that).So before I buy my scion I was wondering is it possible to get the Scion xB to be at least 210 horses? I’m not asking for a lot but it also has to fit on my budget no more than 2 G’s well 3 G’s if you can find a way to get more horses Please tell me anyway you can think of thanks, soon to be Scion family. :D :?:
Old 12-09-2003, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

your asking for a lot out of 2 or 3 grand...i think that may get you up to around 120 at the wheels tops, if you figure intake exhaust, header, maybe a puff off the bottle....but thats all. our little boxes are not at the point where you can just slap a turbo on, parts right now are limited and as they come out they will be expensive, take the jdm trd header, its almost a grand just for a header. but with time prises should go down as the surplus of go fast goodies is released.

brent
Old 12-09-2003, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

unless you plan on replacing most of the engine components AND definitely the tranny...then no....and aside from that, the parts for that sore of operation arent even available, unless you plan a full engine and tranny swap from a different vehicle...and that may not even be possible considering the small engine bay.

But why the 210 horse stipulation? You realize that with the overall lightness of the car...about 150 horse would make these things scream like crazy...

and 150 horse is something that may definitely be acheivable in the near future if some of the supercharger and turbo companies get their thumbs out their bums.

the scion is an economy car...made with economy parts....not a racecar...

keep that in mind...if you want a super quick car, look at some acuras or subarus or something.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default WHAT WOULD MAKE THE PERFECT ALL Around CAR?

I have read all of your comments and all are you ideas. I knew I couldn’t get a scion to be 210hp that would be to dangerous but I wanted all of you to think big. What I really was looking for was how to make it the best car I can. You know Motor, Sound, Wheels, and Steering for that price but I just wanted to know what you would say about making it fast. So my question is What Brands and what parts could make my new Scion the best all around performance for 2 G's? I want to know what you think. Thanks have fun think of anything that would work. :D
Old 12-10-2003, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Look man...we cant tell you what to buy...or what would be best for you....

You sound very young....and 2K is a lot of money...maybe you should just drive it for a while...

Or if you REALLY have a couple G's burning a hole on your pocket...go here https://www.scionlife.com/store/

And remember....2000 isnt even that much money when you are talking about Wheels, tires, audio, performance etc....

There are people on this forum that have spent 2000 on wheels and tires alone....
Old 12-10-2003, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off. Please keep you font and size the usual size. Second, if you want the BEST you have to pay for it. For example.. if you want the best rims...you looking at AT LEAST $2000 and that's without tires. You want the best tires? hows $300-400 a piece. You want a good motor? Let's pretend you keep the motor that's in the car. Custom size pistons and rods, 800 sleeves 400. Custom turbo kit w/ the best turbo and engine management lets say 3500. And lets be nice @ 50HR for LABOR + tuning (many of you know that is TOO CHEAP for actual dyno tuning) That's also not including the exhaust, intake, cams, DP, intake manifold, throttle body.. etc etc Let's say suspension, Best Japanese coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, tie bars, and snickers bars when your hungry lets say 3500 + shipping. I think im being a little too nice with the prices. Then we come too sound which has endless possibilities.. Lets say 2 sun visor monitors, monitor for the center, 5 headrest monitors, 4 15 inch flip downs, and a 20 inch plasma custom mounted to the trunk lid, that automatically comes down when you open the trunk with a motorized lift that is absolutely silent. All that hooked up to 4 15s and a 5000W amp. price ? who knows.

Just buy what you want and what makes you happy.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

If you want those 15" and the 20" plasma, come see me. $2000 will get an almost average showcar system.. Mine is worth over $4000 and I'm nowhere complete with it. If you've got $3600, I'll sell you mine. If you have a specific question about a specific product, then we can help you but we can't tell you all different things cuz what good would that do. You'd just get confused and screw something up, we all would with 20 different answers.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Give me $1500.......and I'll sit in your back seat, yodel, and strum a banjo till the noise pollution either gets you a ticket or gets you shot.

Welcome to Scionlife.......enjoy your stay.......and do some research on your own. We're all willing to help.......but you can't just say "Tell me anything you know about everything ever made that I could possibly buy for 2000 Gs of any denomination of worldly currency." Ask a more specific question.....and answers may be a bit more forthcoming.

KiL
Old 12-10-2003, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

are we at panda express cuz i sure smell rice.. *ahem* 210 hp?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Banned
SL Member

LOL .. Panda Express ....

I think what the guy is looking for cannot be found by just posting here on the boards. More then likely he is about to purchase a first car, and wants to have something different, yet run the 1/4 in the 9s. What he fails to understand, is that your purchasing a 14K car, and yes you can get it to runs 9s ( although being so light, it may be tough ) but you will invest so much into the car, that a year or two down the line, you'll look to buy something else, and won't get your money back. You have to consider that as soon as you buy the car and drive it off the lot, it depreciates in value. So go ahead and sink 3 - 4K in go fast goodies, but when you get bored with it, good luck in trying to recoop the money you spent on it.

I see it all the time, as i was once the president of NEONAMERICA. Kids would buy a 14K NEON, and then spend upwards of 7K in stereo, body kits, headers, intake, NOS, and paint, only to 1. get into and accident, and loose out big time. 2. get tired of the car, and try and sell it for what they can ( i never saw anyone get back what they put into it, not even the guy who had the red/silver first gen that turned out to be an APC show car ). Or 3, try and buy another car from a dealer, using the NEON as their trade in. Dealers dont want mod'd cars, they cant sell them, so the seller would loose even more on a trade in.

What it comes down to is this, just keep in mind that you can get a 14K car to go fast and look good, but ultimately, you cant recoop the money you put in it.

<== gets off his soap box :D

CB
Old 12-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

OK, back to the point of being helpful....

Toyota engines are overbuilt and can generally handle 50% more power without doing the internals. This means that you can expect to get around around 160 Hp without having to drop a ton of money. 160 Hp would be a blast in a car of this size and weight. (Mini S anyone?)

To get there you could take the easy route and add a 50-shot of NOS with an RPM-activated window switch, full throttle switch and bottlewarmer for safety. Go with a wet system (injects NOS and more fuel at the same time). Larger injectors (if you can find some that will work) and an upgraded fuel pump will assure that you don't get a lean condition. This will give you your 160 Hp, at least while you have the system armed and the bottle is full. You could do this for about $500 or so, plus around $30-40 everytime you want to fill your ten-lb bottle.

Intake, headers and exhaust will run you about $850ish and get you the all-motor boost you need. A muffler shop can install a high-flow cat and do the remaining piping for around $300.

So now you are into the mods $1650 and could probably beat nearly any Civic you pull next to. Your remaining $350 will probably be spent on labor to get some of that stuff installed, so you have met your target $2000.

Darren
Old 12-10-2003, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

gotta pay to play ... I love my xB and of course it's on it's way to being the car I vision in my head (friends don't let friends drive stock) but it is FAR from being the race/show car of my stable ... it's a PIMP daily driver. If ya want the hp buy a car that will give you the bang for the buck. Mines a 86 toy pup w/ a worked over 22R ... $1500, 1.5 yrs, from approx 95 hp to 175hp and the only pup in the area that mustangs won't race (not sure if its my driving or the truck, but it hasn't been beat yet :twisted: ), but the cardinal rule of autosports ... YA GOTTA PAY TO PLAY
Old 12-11-2003, 05:49 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

I guess the only thing reasonable any of us can say is not to buy a scion if you have your heart set on a fast car. If you are gunna get a $14,000 car and have $2/3000 to put into it, I could just build you a car that'll smoke anything else but it most definitely wont be a scion. For $16,000 I could build you a 350hp eclipse. The scions gunna have an aftermarket for body kits, not engine parts.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of all the Toyota engines, the 1NZ is probably the only one that was NOT overbuilt! Sad fact, but it's actually the one that was designed from the get-go for economy purposes. Almost all other (and in fact, I think ALL other) Toyota engines come with forged steel cranks and hefty rods, whereas the 1NZ parts are not really as stout. That's not to say that they won't be able to handle any good power; I'm sure they'll be able to take quite a bit of abuse just from quality construction and tolerances as per all other Toyota engines. But unlike the other Toyota engines, I don't think you'll be able to go too crazy and get away with as much with these 1NZs.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:39 PM

I hit 101HP yesterday on the dyno, so I guess I am almost half way there!

Old 12-14-2003, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

210hp Scion? You're knocking on the wrong door, bud. If you're going to buy a 15k car, and most likely throw some big baller ___ rims on it and a sound system and whatnot, then on top of that have 2-3k to spend on "power mods", it's stupid. You're not gonna get that much power out of these things, but I'll tell you what car will get you that power, SRT-4. Save all that money you were gonna spend on the rims, the system, the fart cans, etc... buy a Dodge Neon SRT-4 if you want a performance car. Low 14's stock, and mid 13's w/ Mopar Stage 1 Turbo upgrade.